C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q about Pfadt/Johnny O'Connell Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Q about Pfadt/Johnny O'Connell Package

Aside from a little bling. Is there a noticeable performance difference to upgrade from a stock 09' Z51 suspension to the Johnny O'Connell sway bar & shock package? Street driving only.
Thanks for any info.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Driver_WT
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ZRCLONE
Aside from a little bling. Is there a noticeable performance difference to upgrade from a stock 09' Z51 suspension to the Johnny O'Connell sway bar & shock package? Street driving only.
Thanks for any info.
I have the F55 shocks, so I did not change the shocks. I went from Z51 sway bars to JOC sway bars and there is a significant improvement in cornering, with very little difference in ride quality. I can recommend the JOC sways for sure.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:45 AM
0Matt @ ECS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRCLONE
Thanks for any info.
Yes significant difference on this package. The shocks are a bit stiffer and the sways really help in cornering also. Great package for the money, we install a ton of these. We have these in stock right now also if you are interested you can PM me.

- Matt
Old 03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
rdodson
Instructor

I put a set of JOC shocks and sway bars on mine and the ride is only slightly harsher - with the cornering and stick to the road feel improved noticeably. (or it could be from my weight loss in my ****)

Combined with the Edelbrock SC I noticed a difference before and after the install......highly recommended....I street drive only too....no autotrack....unless you count the fanatasy autotracking I do in certain spots around town
Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 PM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Thanks for all the feedback! This seems like a good amount of bang for the buck. Was just going to change out the shocks (Bilstiens) and saw this package.
Matt, feel free to shoot me a price.
Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 PM
redls3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with z06 front and rear sways, and the drm modified bilstein shocks sold by drm aka doug rippie motorsports. There are hundreds of guys over in the z06 section using this setup with no complaints. I just had them installed and it was a night and day difference in handling and stability, especially on turns and bumps. I dont know why gm wouldnt do this right from the start. The stock shocks are garbage and in alot of situations dangerous, especially when your speeding in a turn and hit a bump they make the rear end jump and wanna smash straight into the wall
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Are the JOC #'s proprietary or does anyone know how they compare to Z06 sways?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM
rdodson
Instructor

Originally Posted by 383
Are the JOC #'s proprietary or does anyone know how they compare to Z06 sways?
Look here for info from Pfadt
http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/210

chart halfway down page
Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Originally Posted by rdodson
Look here for info from Pfadt
http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/210

chart halfway down page
If those #'s are right there is a huge dif.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rdodson
I put a set of JOC shocks and sway bars on mine and the ride is only slightly harsher - with the cornering and stick to the road feel improved noticeably. (or it could be from my weight loss in my ****)

Combined with the Edelbrock SC I noticed a difference before and after the install......highly recommended....I street drive only too....no autotrack....unless you count the fanatasy autotracking I do in certain spots around town
I was hoping you were going to chime in here rdodson! I was actually going to quote you when ZRClone mentioned he had a Z51 car. Here is a thread posted just today about his thoughts on the Johnny O'Connell package: Venomws7 Reviews the Johnny O'Connell Package

Overall the package will feel a little stiffer over low speed bumps due to the change in shocks, and the sway bars will make turn in much more confident and provide overall a handling balance much closer to neutral than the factory sway bar packages which are tuned for much more oversteer than our packages are. Traction over rough road surfaces will improve as well with the changes we've made to the dampers, as will composure over large bumps at high speed like highway expansion joints.

We really do love the Johnny O'Connell pacakge. Infact when we aren't doing development work on our street C6Z it's typically the suspension that it's running. It's a great balance of improved handling and everyday comfort.

Here is a video we put together during the development of the kit with Johnny O'Connell.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

I went from a Z51 setup to the JOC package, and really like the improvement in handling and feel it gave me. I recently moved up to the mountains, and get to hit the twisties all the time now!

JB
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
I went from a Z51 setup to the JOC package, and really like the improvement in handling and feel it gave me. I recently moved up to the mountains, and get to hit the twisties all the time now!

JB
JB has also had a pretty great experience with his Johnny O'Connell package. After getting it installed he immediately took the car to Spring Mountain to put the car through it's paces!

Get notified of new replies

To Q about Pfadt/Johnny O'Connell Package

Quick Reply: Q about Pfadt/Johnny O'Connell Package