C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What repairs/replacements should I focus on first

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 AM
jbonifacejr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What repairs/replacements should I focus on first

Well, finally, after 40+ years of desire, I now have my Corvette. I want to start working on improving the car, mainly to reduce the necessity for repairs in the future. I realize the car is built well, and has some quality components, but I am sure many of them can be replaced with much higher quality components that will last longer and be more reliable.

What I would like to know is what the members here think are some of the easiest replacements that can be made to add reliability to the vehicle? Is upgrading the brakes a good idea? Should I replace the air intake with a K&N? Should I replace the front suspension or rear suspension?

I have a 2006 with selective ride control, so I don't know if I want to start playing with the suspension right away. I was considering upgrading the brakes first.

What does the Corvette community recommend?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:12 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by jbonifacejr
Well, finally, after 40+ years of desire, I now have my Corvette. I want to start working on improving the car, mainly to reduce the necessity for repairs in the future. I realize the car is built well, and has some quality components, but I am sure many of them can be replaced with much higher quality components that will last longer and be more reliable.

What I would like to know is what the members here think are some of the easiest replacements that can be made to add reliability to the vehicle? Is upgrading the brakes a good idea? Should I replace the air intake with a K&N? Should I replace the front suspension or rear suspension?

I have a 2006 with selective ride control, so I don't know if I want to start playing with the suspension right away. I was considering upgrading the brakes first.

What does the Corvette community recommend?
If your goal is to keep the car running reliably, I recommend preventative maintenance with factory parts. Change the oil regularly. If the battery is over 3 years old, maybe install a new one.

There are a (very) few aftermarket parts that are arguably longer-lasting, but do you really want to (for example) go through the ordeal of pulling your working harmonic balancer now just to avoid the possibility of doing the same job later?

One very easy thing you can do is not leave your gas tank under 1/2 full for long periods. It promotes oxidation of the right fuel tank level sender, which is a pain-in-the-*** to fix.

Last edited by torquetube; 12-22-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Brakes, I really like the Wilwoods. Good balance of cost and performance.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive the car. Driving the car regularly, combined with frequent attention to the fluids (oil, trans, coolant) is the best thing you can do to keep the car running. Don't be afraid to push the Happy Pedal as far down as it will go on occasion.

Since you said "reliability" several times (and not "more performance") I would NOT fix or replace anything that isn't broken or making noise - but every so often you can imagine a problem, take the money you would have spent, and then put it into a savings account for when the time comes and something does actually break. Replacing or "upgrading" things is usually when something goes wrong IMHO: like upgrading swaybars and having your end-links go out because you didn't pay attention to their alignment on the re-install.

Don't over think it, just enjoy the car.

Last edited by Random84; 12-22-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:45 PM
jbonifacejr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that right out of the gate most people simply recommend that the car be driven regularly and cared for well, and that parts be replaced/upgraded after they break. I appreciate everyone's advice. I think I will focus on the interior of the car for a little while. Minor improvements like a leather wrapped center console cover and maybe leather wrapped door handles. I'll make changes to mechanical stuff when it goes bad.

Last edited by jbonifacejr; 12-22-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Random84
Drive the car. Driving the car regularly, combined with frequent attention to the fluids (oil, trans, coolant) is the best thing you can do to keep the car running. Don't be afraid to push the Happy Pedal as far down as it will go on occasion.

Since you said "reliability" several times (and not "more performance") I would NOT fix or replace anything that isn't broken or making noise - but every so often you can imagine a problem, take the money you would have spent, and then put it into a savings account for when the time comes and something does actually break. Replacing or "upgrading" things is usually when something goes wrong IMHO: like upgrading swaybars and having your end-links go out because you didn't pay attention to their alignment on the re-install.

Don't over think it, just enjoy the car.

If you don't know the history, I'd change the fluids (oil, trans, diff, clutch[?], coolant, brake fluid flush). Just stay with the recommended GM fluids, they have have millions of miles of success, but the diff fluid has a new part number and needs no additives. Brakes may need work depending on mileage and useage.

Then, start putting miles on that puppy. Fix anything that breaks. Enjoy!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

If you don't know the history, I'd change the fluids (oil, trans, diff, clutch[?], coolant, brake fluid flush). Just stay with the recommended GM fluids, they have have millions of miles of success, but the diff fluid has a new part number and needs no additives. Brakes may need work depending on mileage and useage.

Then, start putting miles on that puppy. Fix anything that breaks. Enjoy!
at 5 years, your car is ready for all fluids (all, incl. radiator). forget the K&N, and maybe get a new AC Delco air filter. get a new cabin filter, too. get a batt. maintainer and use it regularly, summer winter, anytime you're not using the car for a few days---maybe even switch out clips to plug into cig lighter socket.

forget big brakes or whatever, and if you want a little more stopping power, change pads to something like some of the hawks or my choice, porterfield r4s.

start saving up for new tires, depending on where you live could be A/S or max summer. michelin makes good ones in both categories. saving up due to 1200-1600 cost for a set of four.

get an alignment. check on here and find either the "modshack" specs or pfadt street specs. silicone lube all the gaskets/seals around your car.

did I say change all the fluids?

Last edited by AORoads; 12-22-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Buy a factory service manual @$110.

Then get some jacking pucks/ jack and lift the car so you check the torque on every suspension/ cross member bolt and nut you can find.

Give the two fuse boxes a once over. Check the wires down at the starter and the negative battery cable. Even check all the ground wires..I think there are at least 6. Tighten the oil pan bolts and lube the sunviser mirror covers...really.

Then as above fluids, filters, battery, lube hinges and treat all the weatherstripes (w/ di-electric grease +1). The serpentine belt and hoses wear well.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When ever I personally buy a used car I immediately swap out all the fluids... Engine Oil, coolant, transmission fluid, clutch, brakes, differential. That way you're working on the same baseline and you know for a fact the last time all the fluids were done. Past that really take a minute to evaluate the car and what you want to do with it. If you want to drive the car exclusively on the street you may not need a big brake kit, but the stock brake hardware with new rotors and aggressive street pads may work really well for you. If you're looking to take it out to the road course pick up a set of dedicated track pads and swap them for your track days, otherwise just enjoy the car. For heavy track use, especially with race tires a big brake kit is a fantastic idea.

We've got your suspension needs taken care of. If the car is starting to get up there in mileage it's amazing what a complete suspension refresher can do for the car. For street and light track day users our Johnny O'Connell package includes new Upgraded shocks, Upgraded Sway bars, metal endlinks and sway bar bushings all in one neat package that will take your overall suspension performance past that of the C6Z. Not only can you increase the performance and fun factor of your new Corvette, you can swap out commonly overlooked maintenance items like the endlinks and bushings!

Get notified of new replies

To What repairs/replacements should I focus on first

Quick Reply: What repairs/replacements should I focus on first