Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
21st Century Muscle Cars

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Correcting an off Center Steering Wheel

I had an alignment a few months ago. When I got the car back, my steering wheel was way off center. I brought it back and had it adjusted. This time, it was returned slightly off center. Is there an easy way for me to correct this myself? I believe the alignment is ok. I don't want this place messing with my car again. I may just end up paying for another alignment.
#146 of 505
NCM Member

Where it's always Corvette weather
xcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
RicK T
CF Senior Member

Not much help but.....find a new/better shop. A centered steering wheel is basic, no excuse for not getting it right......TWICE. Might ask for recommendations on the Southeast Forum. Good luck.
RicK T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
madmax4499
CF Senior Member

go back one more time, be pushy, tell them to make it right or refund your money. if they tell you to pack sand call the BBB.
madmax4499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
marc8090
CF Senior Member

Basically you need to make one tie rod longer and the other shorter the EXACT same amount to center the steering wheel without changing the amount of toe. Actually quite simple to do yourself, even though you shouldn't have to. If the steering wheel is only slightly off you are talking about a very tiny adjustment.
marc8090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
BEZ06
Formerly beezeye
Support Corvetteforum!

with marc8090 - it's very simple to correct.

I had a similar problem - after 2 visits to the dealer with no luck, I just fixed it myself.

If you ever find yourself up Daytona way just give me a holler. You can stop by my house an we'll have you fixed up in about 10 minutes!!

Bob

BEZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
ROC OUT
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8090 View Post
Basically you need to make one tie rod longer and the other shorter the EXACT same amount to center the steering wheel without changing the amount of toe. Actually quite simple to do yourself, even though you shouldn't have to. If the steering wheel is only slightly off you are talking about a very tiny adjustment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEZ06 View Post

I had a similar problem - after 2 visits to the dealer with no luck, I just fixed it myself.

If you ever find yourself up Daytona way just give me a holler. You can stop by my house an we'll have you fixed up in about 10 minutes!!

Bob
I have this same problem and it bothers me till no end. Would rather correct this myself instead of relying on someone else.

So, exactly how do you fix it? Is there a DIY on this? Can it be done by driving the car on ramps?

ROC OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
marc8090
CF Senior Member

Lets say that if you held the wheel centered the car went right, you would need to point the tires slightly to the left. Since the steering rack is ahead of the tires the left tie rod needs to be made longer, and the right shorter. Mark the tie rods, jamb nuts, and ends before you do anything. Loosen the jamb nuts, and turn the tie rods the proper direction. I just look at the pitch of threads and can figure out which way it needs to be turned. Usually it's only an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn or even less. Adjust both sides the same amount going longer on one and shorter on the other, tighten the jamb nuts, and take it around the block to see how it is. You'll know based on the steering wheel position if you need to go farther or if you went to much.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEZ06 View Post

Bob
Thanks, I appreciate the offer.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Lets say that if you held the wheel centered the car went right, you would need to point the tires slightly to the left. Since the steering rack is ahead of the tires the left tie rod needs to be made longer, and the right shorter. Mark the tie rods, jamb nuts, and ends before you do anything. Loosen the jamb nuts, and turn the tie rods the proper direction. I just look at the pitch of threads and can figure out which way it needs to be turned. Usually it's only an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn or even less. Adjust both sides the same amount going longer on one and shorter on the other, tighten the jamb nuts, and take it around the block to see how it is. You'll know based on the steering wheel position if you need to go farther or if you went to much.
Do the wheels need to be off the ground or can this be done on ramps?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
marc8090
CF Senior Member

On ramps is fine, no need to have the weight off the wheels.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
On ramps is fine, no need to have the weight off the wheels.
Thanks alot
Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Exactly...

972-429-1963
Bobby @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Correcting an off Center Steering Wheel

Tags
c5, center, correcting, corvette, crooked, ends, offcenter, rod, rods, shorter, steering, tie, tire, turn, wheel