C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So the 11 GS is going to the tuner tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So the 11 GS is going to the tuner tomorrow.

I've had enough with this car but before it gets sold / traded I am giving a buddy who is a tuner that specializes in LS engines a crack at it.

My main concern is lack of performance from the vehicle in acceleration. I have been to the 1/4 track twice now and both times the car would not crack 88 mph in the 1/8 or better 110.60 mph in the 1/4. I have driven the car right off the street, cooled down for several hours, driving like it's stolen, driving it like a baby (no power shifting). Tried all suspension modes, ever tried the launch control, it's like there is a limiter on the car.

The tuner said he will go into the computer and look over the settings and dyno the car, he will then dyno the car under normal temperature conditions as it seems to be lacking 40 - 50 horsepower, I mean heck, GM posts the GS running 117mph in the 1/4 mile. As a last resort he will turn off the torque management and lower the fan cooling speeds as well as dialing back some of the temperature over rides. The goal is to not change the fuel management tune from stock, just to get the car to perform like it is suppose to, then I will make some changes bolt-on wise and tune it from there and shoot for some nice HP gains.

Wish me or better yet the GS luck. I'll post results when I get them!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
tudac3-5-6
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It will be intetesting to see what the base data is...and how much the tuner can add!

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused. You mention power shifting and torque management. Do you have a manual or auto?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrdogg
I have been to the 1/4 track twice now and both times the car would not crack 88 mph in the 1/8 or better 110.60 mph in the 1/4. I have driven the car right off the street, cooled down for several hours, driving like it's stolen, driving it like a baby (no power shifting). Tried all suspension modes, ever tried the launch control, it's like there is a limiter on the car.
There sort of is.
You touched on it here actually:
As a last resort he will turn off the torque management
But it shouldn't be a last resort, it should be the very first thing he addresses in my opinion.

Originally Posted by jon6.0
I'm confused. You mention power shifting and torque management. Do you have a manual or auto?
Manuals have TM as well.
I assume his GS is a manual from what he'd posted.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Well darn it. I'm trying my hardest to not tune the car and void my engine warranty, but it's really hard with info like this.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:00 PM
vy2007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kerrdogg, who is doing your tune?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Lanaue
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well keep us up on you results. Good Luck
Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It's still hot here, and in the summer heat the IAT spark reduction table will pull 12 degrees of timing (about 1/2 of commanded timing) at the IAT's you're seeing while sitting in line at the track. It heats up quickly drawing air from under the hood. You could remedy that by propping open the shroud (and of course waiting for winter).

But the tune will help even more and make the car more fun to drive.

Last edited by Joe_G; 10-30-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:35 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jon6.0
Well darn it. I'm trying my hardest to not tune the car and void my engine warranty, but it's really hard with info like this.
Don't worry about torque management on your manual. Unless you try and speed shift or run slicks, it'll never be a factor. Don't void the 100k warranty.

Go to Firebird and make some runs.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,198 Likes on 692 Posts

117 MPH stock is doable in very good air and excellent driving. I don't see that as the benchmark, but 110 MPH seems pretty low unless it was hot as hell when you ran or high altitude, which is not exactly a problem in FL.
Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Don't worry about torque management on your manual.
I agree that's not the cause of 110 mph trap speed.

put it on the dyno stock and see what comes up. Unless you plan to were planning mod it, see what the root cause is before it is tuned and the warranty put in jeopardy.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:34 AM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Got my attention
Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Don't worry about torque management on your manual. Unless you try and speed shift or run slicks, it'll never be a factor. Don't void the 100k warranty.

Go to Firebird and make some runs.
Will do.

I do have drag radials and skinnies though.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 AM
Presidentialpawn
Racer

One of the cylinders has a very low compression.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Just dropped it off, Dan @ Masport is looking at it, his shop is down the street from my biz and he is very good at not going for broke on a tune. He is letting the car cool back down to ambient which should be in the low 80's today, start it up to warm up the oil and make a pull or two, then he is letting the car get to full normal temp and making another set of runs.

He is not going to mess with the tune at the moment, he says there are some things he can do to fix the problem without voiding the warranty. While I agree 117mph might be optimistic I will add that I have always been able to better any manufacturers claim on a new car and I have had 30+ new cars. The one glaring exception was a Formula 350, 1989 model, ran 15.20's @ 92mph no matter what I tried. Traded in a stock 88 Mustang that ran low 13s @ 101 mph on it. The vette is my second new GM purchase (wounds take time to heal) and if it doesn't come around it will be my last, it will get sold and the funds will be added to my Ferrari 458 savings account.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Presidentialpawn
Racer

Last year I had a brand new Infiniti g37s coupe that was faster and not too shabby looking. I sold it and bought a new GS this year cause I liked the lines and I was expecting a faster car. The looks maybe , the speed not really. I still like it but it is not a tech marvel at all. True it costs less as anybody says. You always get what you paid for. I'm opening my 458 savings account today too just in case. I guess with the Vettes you learn to justify or sell it quick.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

While I agree 117mph might be optimistic I will add that I have always been able to better any manufacturers claim on a new car and I have had 30+ new cars. The one glaring exception was a Formula 350, 1989 model, ran 15.20's @ 92mph no matter what I tried. Traded in a stock 88 Mustang that ran low 13s @ 101 mph on it.
Wait, low 13s in a BONE STOCK '88 Mustang 5.0L?
Umm, are you sure that it was bone stock?

The vette is my second new GM purchase (wounds take time to heal) and if it doesn't come around it will be my last, it will get sold
No offense, I'm sure you're a good driver and all (as you've noted above) but before we throw the baby out with the bathwater and condemn a great car forever can we just be sure that it is in fact the car and not your driving that's causing these track results, again no offense.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Presidentialpawn
Last year I had a brand new Infiniti g37s coupe that was faster and not too shabby looking. I sold it and bought a new GS this year cause I liked the lines and I was expecting a faster car. The looks maybe , the speed not really.
A Nissan (err excuse me, an Infiniti ) G37 felt almost as fast to you as a Corvette GS?

but it is not a tech marvel at all.
Oh it isn't?
Please let me know what other car out there can run low 12/high 11 second quarter mile times, corner and stop with some of the best sports cars in the world, go 190+mph, hold enough cargo for two adults to travel comfortably for a week+ AND still get 30+mpg on the highway? And that's at any price, not just under $50k (or under $56k for the GS)?
The performance to fuel economy ratio ALONE is likely among the greatest technological marvels in automotive history.

Get notified of new replies

To So the 11 GS is going to the tuner tomorrow.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Last year I had a brand new Infiniti g37s coupe that was faster and not too shabby looking. I sold it and bought a new GS this year cause I liked the lines and I was expecting a faster car. The looks maybe , the speed not really. I still like it but it is not a tech marvel at all. True it costs less as anybody says. You always get what you paid for. I'm opening my 458 savings account today too just in case. I guess with the Vettes you learn to justify or sell it quick.
Your G37s was faster than a GS? Was it stock? My friend has a new G37s and no way is that car faster than my GS.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
dragpak
Advanced

Inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

You live near Atco and have never seen a stock mustang trap 101 mph? I guess when I say stock I mean the 5 minute tune up and some fuel pressure changes and a decent set of tires (Mc Crearys's, not like you could get a drag radial back then). Not to get to far off topic but my 91 5.0 coupe ran 11.80's @ 114 mph, with stk bottom end, steel Dart Jr heads and a Gt-40 intake and exhaust work (stk cam), sprayed it to a 10.80 @ 125 mph, that was in 1993. Others, my stk 200hp 86 coupe ran 14.20's, my 87 GN ran 13.80's, my 96 Maxima ran 14.8's, heck I had a 4cyl S-10 that ran 14's (with a hidden 100 shot direct port )

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wait, low 13s in a BONE STOCK '88 Mustang 5.0L?
Umm, are you sure that it was bone stock?

No offense, I'm sure you're a good driver and all (as you've noted above) but before we throw the baby out with the bathwater and condemn a great car forever can we just be sure that it is in fact the car and not your driving that's causing these track results, again no offense.
Sure, that's why it's at the dyno, simple math tells us the car is missing almost 50 horsepower from a 117 mph pass to a 110 mile per hour pass, driving skill usually shows up in ET, not MPH. I analyze the 330 mark the the most, after that the cars usually can make it down the track without too much fan fare. From what I have been told the car is pulling tons of timing because of the environment I am asking it to operate in, so if that is fixed and the car can click off 115 mph I'll be happy. I will perform the mods I have and will have it tuned. I guess before I pull the warranty pin I just want to make sure the car is 100% and what I paid for.

Quick Reply: So the 11 GS is going to the tuner tomorrow.