C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS runaround

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:22 PM
apaul
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS runaround

I am about to pull my hair out. I bought new wheels and tires and had new TPMS sensors installed on the new wheels. I am trying to find the proper procedure to get the car to learn the new sensors. Performance Plus whom I bought the wheels from doesnt have a clue and does not seem to give a crap about helping me. I finally got them to give me the TPMS sensor part # and their source for the sensor which is Orange TPMS. Everyone says I need to go to the dealer and they can fix it. So I call a local dealer and it was apparent the service guy had no clue what he was talking about. So I proceed to call GM customer service, their "tech" could barely string together english words and sounded like a random word generator. I could ask 20 different experts the same question about TPMS and I would get 20 different answers. Everyone wants to blow smoke up my *** too instead of just telling me they dont know. My car is not going anywhere close to the dealer considering all of the horror stories I have read here on the message board.

So here is what I have determined. Older C6 cars you could use a magnet to force the TPMS to transmit to the car, later cars up to 2009 require a reset tool and according to a post in the C6 FAQ 2010 and newer cars you let air out of the tires while the car is in learn mode to make the TPMS sensor transmit.

Here is the link to the sensor that was allegedly installed in my wheels
http://www.orangetpmsusa.com/?page_id=214

I have tried the procedure that is shown in the above link with no luck. If ANYONE can offer ANY helpful knowledgable information on what the hell is going on it would be very appreciated. I'm getting frrustrated and service is just non existent anymore. People will just lie and tell you anything to get you off the phone. BTW this is a 2009 C6 coupe
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Some of the early 2005 cars could be reset with a magnet like the C5, but that disappeared during the first year.

From early MY 2005 until about MY 2010, you needed a special radio transmitting tool to reset.

Starting in 2010 (?), the cars could be reset by going into the Learning mode and then letting some air out, but that was changed after a while also, something around 2011 required the transmitter tool again.

The real experts will be along soon...

If you fill out your profile with some car info, that would also help.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My tire shop has the tool and does it free. Call around, it's not a big deal. Lot's of cars have them now days. It's the law.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:48 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Most tire shops should be able to do the relearn for you. Where are you located?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM
apaul
Advanced

For the record Discount tire tried using the reset tool. Didnt work. The guy there also tried a magnet for the heck of it and that didnt work either. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that this has to be so complicated. Why does GM change everything constantly for no reason. Their own people dont even have a clue what to do cause it's been changed up so frequently.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have the tool if you want to come to my house.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Okay, you're in the correct place, where you should have come at first - the CORVETTE FORUM!!!

All the people you've been dealing with work with many, many different makes of vehicles.

Here we work with one vehicle - the Corvette!!!

HOW DO YOUR NEW WHEELS MOUNT THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS????

ARE THEY SOME EXOTIC AFTERMARKET WHEELS THAT HAVE THE SENSORS MOUNTED DEEP INSIDE THE WHEEL WITH BANDS/STRAPS????

OR ARE THE SENSORS MOUNTED IN THE MANNER THEY ARE MOUNTED IN A STOCK WHEEL????

If they are mounted in the OE manner, no problem.

If they are deep inside the wheels, that can present big problems trying to trigger the sensors.

Like Jim said, some very few very early 2005 cars (built before Sept 2004) used a sensor that was also used in the 2004 Cadillac XLR, and those sensors could be triggered with a magnet. Those sensors haven't been available in the GM parts distribution system for years, and they've been superceded by the present sensor for the 2005-2009 C6.

The 2005-2009 C6 uses GM Part# 25758220, and Orange makes an aftermarket one that is compatible with the TPMS - SC8220.

The 2005-2009 sensors require a TPMS tool that transmits the triggering radio frequency - 125 kHz.

The 2005-2009 sensors will not trigger with a change in air pressure. I know that applies to the GM sensors (made by Schrader), and I'm almost postitive that applies to the Orange aftermarket sensors as well (actually, I think the requirement for use of the tool is in the code in the TPMS, not the sensor).

The 2010 and newer uses a different sensor that is not compatible with the TPMS in the 2005-2009. The sensors in the 2010 and 2011 cars built before Jan 2011 can be triggered by a TPMS tool or by changing air pressure. In Jan this year GM discontinued allowing the air pressure change method, so cars built after Jan this year apparently can't use that method.

So.....First of all, yoiu need to know for sure that the tire pressure sensors you have in your wheels are compatible with your TPMS. In your 2009 you'll need GM 25758220 or Orange SC8220 sensors.

Second of all, 2005-2009 tire pressure sensors require a TPMS tool to trigger them during the procedure.

Third of all, you need to know how to do the procedure and use the tool - take a look at the video below.

If you go to a tire dealer (my local Discount Tire is VERY good with my tire changes, balancing, etc.) it helps a great deal if you know how to do the procedure for a C6 (again, they work with a lot of vehicles and don't necessarily know our cars - they can look it up in a reference book they all have, but if you know it helps).

The procedure only takes about a minute if you know what you're doing.

Pay attention to the video and you'll see (actually HEAR) that you must get a honk of the horn when you put the car into the learn mode, and at each tire when you successfully trigger the sensor and its data is properly logged into the TPMS memory. Actually, you must hear a double honk at the Left Rear that confirms the procedure is complete.

Also, pay attention to how the antenna of the tool is placed on the rubber sidewall of the tire right next to the valve stem on the sensor so the signal from the tool is transmitted through the sidewall and not the metal of the wheel.

Also, the tools only transmit a couple inches, so the tool needs to be as close as possible to the sensor (that's why it can be very difficult to trigger the sensors if they are mounted deep in the wheel with bands).

The transmission power of the tool is very sensitive to the strength of its batteries - make sure the TPMS tool has strong fresh batteries.

After you put the car into the learn mode you must trigger the Left Front sensor within about a minute or the learn mode will time out and you'll never get a honk - you'll have to put it into the learn mode again before contiuing. Likewise, the entire procedure must be completed within 5 minutes.

If you have the correct sensors in your wheels, and if they are mounted in the manner they are mounted in an OE wheel, using the procedure in the video below you can program your sensors in about a minute.

Good luck!!!

Bob

Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM
apaul
Advanced

Bob, thank you very much for taking the time to write up such a detailed post!
I am supposed to have the Orange SC8220. According to the Orange website as well as speaking to Orange, the SC8220 are triggered by letting air out of the tires. I did have Discount Tire try to set them with their tool as well. I watched the guy and he seemed very knowedgable and he did put the car in learn mode but he was unable to get the subsequent honk from any of the sensors. He did start at the left front and was holding the tool right at the valve stem. I don't know what model tool he was using but it did look like a professional tool. I can't vouch for the batteries as I didnt think to ask him that. The thing I don't get is according to the Orange relearn procedure the left turn signal is supposed to come on once the car is in learn mode. Is this BS? I'm thinking it may be a blanket procedure that applies to multiple cars. Discount has offered to bust the tire off and check to make sure the sensors are actually there. I ordered the wheels and tires online mounted and balanced, so I am only going on their word that they actually put the correct TPMS in.

Last edited by apaul; 10-26-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 PM
apaul
Advanced

Originally Posted by timd38
I have the tool if you want to come to my house.
LOL, be right there. Give me about 20 hours.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by apaul
Bob, thank you very much for taking the time to write up such a detailed post!
I am supposed to have the Orange SC8220. According to the Orange website as well as speaking to Orange, the SC8220 are triggered by letting air out of the tires. I did have Discount Tire try to set them with their tool as well. I watched the guy and he seemed very knowedgable and he did put the car in learn mode but he was unable to get the subsequent honk from any of the sensors. He did start at the left front and was holding the tool right at the valve stem. I don't know what model tool he was using but it did look like a professional tool. I can't vouch for the batteries as I didnt think to ask him that. The thing I don't get is according to the Orange relearn procedure the left turn signal is supposed to come on once the car is in learn mode. Is this BS? I'm thinking it may be a blanket procedure that applies to multiple cars. Discount has offered to bust the tire off and check to make sure the sensors are actually there. I ordered the wheels and tires online mounted and balanced, so I am only going on their word that they actually put the correct TPMS in.
Yep - I call on the procedure Orange has published on their site!!!!

I'm quite certain that for a 2005-2009 C6, the Orange sensors MUST be triggered with a TPMS tool just like the OE Schrader sensors.

No turn signal comes on for the C6, so they don't know what they're talking about!!!

Also, if your tire shop guy was pointing the antenna at the valve stem, that usually does not work very well. The antenna MUST be put on the rubber sidewall of the tire next to where the valve stem sticks out of the wheel.

As I mentioned earlier, the TPMS tool MUST have strong fresh batteries or the signal is very weak and it will not trigger the sensors to get them send their data to the TPMS.

I'm assuming your sensors are mounted in the OE manner, is that right???

The valve stem is a metal stem sticking out of the wheel, and not a rubber valve stem, is that right???

The valve stems of sensors are metal and attached to the sensor, so if the valve stem on your wheels is rubber, then either sensors are not mounted at all, or maybe they are mounted deep inside the wheel with bands.

Are you going to be swapping back and forth between your old wheels and new ones??? If so, you should consider getting your own tool. You can get one for about $62.

Bob
Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Listen to Bob. He probably knows more about TPMS than anyone on this site, and I'm sure many others.

Where are you located? There may be someone local that can help you. I recently did a relearn on my TPMS after installing a new sensor. I followed Bob's video and everything worked fine. We can get this sorted out for you.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

As BEZ06 says make sure the tool battery is good, put the tool on the tire below the valve stem and it should be make the sensor transmit. When you set the car up to program put it in ACCESSORY mode (not ignition on mode) and push both the Lock and Unlock buttons on the FOB. When the car goes into programming mode it will beep the horn once.

By the way, if the web page is correct and the sensor can be programmed by letting air into or out of the tire then you have the wrong part. If the web page is wrong you could still have the wrong part.

The dealer probably knows more than you think they know about the sensors. However, if they can't get them to program they will replace them with ones they know will program. They will not take your word on what the sensors are or how good of a supplier you got them from. Dealers have a lot of experience with Customers bringing in stuff that doesn't work.

Bill
Old 10-27-2011, 02:35 AM
apaul
Advanced

Yes, the valve stems definately look like TPMS sensors. I am going back to Discount Tire and let them bust the tire off the wheel and verify the actual sensor part number. I've got a feeling they may not even be a compatible sensor. Hopefully the part number is on the sensor. I clearly understand how the procedure is supposed to work and I don't have any problems getting the car in the learn mode. Thanks again Bob and everyone else for your help. I'm just really frustrated at the level of carelessness and incompetence from who I bought the wheels from, GM, and Orange. I work in the service industry and I couldnt imagine just spouting off random BS as fact to customers without verifying that it is correct.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 PM
0TitanTPMS
Former Vendor

CAll ME!!! I will get you taken care of!!! I have the Orange TRIGGER TOOL that will fix you right up!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:19 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I know this is an old thread but I found it on a search for info about TPMS for my 2005 Corvette convertible. My car was built in August of 2005, one of the last ones in model year '05 so it should have the '05-'09 sensors.
I just typed in my car's description on the Eliteswheels website which has SC8220 Orange sensors for sale on Ebay. Their site tells me the SC8220 is not compatible with my car. Is that a fact or is their site messed up? What model number from Orange would fit my late year 2005 convertible?
My situation is that I just purchased a set of C7 Chrome wheels/tires (take-offs) from a fellow member on here and know that my nine year old TPMS batteries are nearing the end of their five year life expectancy since they are now 9 years old. I don't want to place sensors in my wheels with that old of a battery so I am facing option one: buying new sensors for my 2005 or option two: buying new batteries and replacing the batteries in my old sensors. I have watched the video on replacing the batteries and think I can do that as I am fairly mechanically inclined and have a nice workshop with most types of tools. My main fear in changing the batteries myself is how I could test the sensors before taking them to a tire shop for mounting and then possibly being disappointed if they don't work and then having to pay again for the breakdown of tires. If that occurs all my savings by replacing just the batteries rather than the whole sensor would be gone.

I will be selling the set of four 2014 model TPMS when I remove them from the C7 wheels. I haven't decided on an asking price yet as I have no idea what new ones sell for. These have only 1300 miles on them and are in tires made the last week on February of this year so they are very fresh.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

FLACHUSNRET.

Hate to say it, but this could have been easy solve with you owning the Cub tpms tool.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=177
And yes, the price is only $19.99, and a tool you really want to own since the system can wig out from time to time, and often just resetting the system will the tool resolves the problem.

On the Cub tool, there is a 2005 to 2009 corvette setting, and then a HHR 2009 setting (tool does not have a corvette 2010 to 2013 setting, but the HHR 2009 is the needed setting for the later model Corvettes for the tool to work on them) .

The 2005 to 2009 setting will only trigger/read the 2005 to 2009 TPMS, and the HHR 2009 setting will only trigger/read the 2010 to 2013 Corvette tpms sensors.

Since you have a 2005, then you would use the 2005 to 2009 setting, and when the tool would not read/trigger the sensors, then switching it over the HRR setting to see if that would read/trigger the TPMS sensors (data for the sensors will show up in the tool screen), would have told you right them and there that the wrong TPMS sensors where installed.

Simply the auto adjusting tools (tips being one of them) are nice if you know that you have the right sensors installed, but with the cub tool since you have to set the tool for the needed year of sensors, it clues you in fast/trouble shots if the wrong year sensors where installed on the tires instead.
The following users liked this post:
PA_BLUE_C6 (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:15 AM
rhbearusa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sensor Relearn

You can't do a sensor relearn on a sensor that wasn't programmed before it was installed if your using for example Orange Electronic sensors. It has to be programmed first!

Originally Posted by 5knives
Most tire shops should be able to do the relearn for you. Where are you located?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:21 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Discount Tire would do it for you for free.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS runaround

Quick Reply: TPMS runaround