C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 A6, Park Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Default 08 A6, Park Lockout

I can't move the shift lever into the Park position. I can move it easily between Drive and Neutral. By jiggling and pushing and shovin on the lever I can get it into Reverse. Also, I can't get it into Sport. I can start the car in Neutral, something I never tried before.

Can anyone help? I did do a search function and there were postings about people whose trannies were locked in Park, but couldn't find any where people were locked out of Park.

I'm probably not going accurately describe what happened leading up to this. After I let a friend drive around the neighborhood, we arrived back on my house and he stopped the car. I don't remember if he placed the shifter in Park. I wanted to show him how the Heads Up Display indicated the paddle shifter gear selection. I attempt to pull the shifter (I was in the passenger seat) into S, and as I recall it wouldn't go in. Anyhow, don't remember, but I think before I could get it into S, he may have turned the engine off. Anyhow upon restarting the car in neutral, I then discovered that I was stuck in N or D. Initially I could not get it in R but after turning off the engine, and trying a couple of hours later I could, with trouble, get it into R. Still locked out of P and S.

Thanks. Any insight will be appreciated.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 08-22-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I would suspect the shifter cable.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 558 Likes on 453 Posts

In most cases where the A6 shifter only works in N and D the shifter is broken and needs to be replaced.

Here's just one example, the OP reported situation similar to yours, I told him the shifter is broken in post #2, he finally confirms it in post #20. Good luck.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...r-neutral.html
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RicK T
In most cases where the A6 shifter only works in N and D the shifter is broken and needs to be replaced.

Here's just one example, the OP reported situation similar to yours, I told him the shifter is broken in post #2, he finally confirms it in post #20. Good luck.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...r-neutral.html
Thank you for this reply. I read the quoted article. Now I know clearly that the shifter has to be replaced. I still wonder how it got damaged? I've learned not to be abusive to my cars and use a..gentle hand when things don't go right. ... I'm still a little bit of a beginner with C6's. I am able to provide a lot of detail and experience with early C3's. As time goes on, maybe I can start to provide experience with C6's. Now I have to worry about finding a Corvette dealer that can repair my car and not mess up my 4LT interior. This Corvette purchase was meant to be my purchase of a lifetime and almost three years later, and 6000 miles, it's still pretty much showroom stock. It's the first new Corvette I've ever purchased.

Actually, ....I was wishing someone would tell me to disconnect the battery for a few hours, reconnect it to reboot the computers, and everything would be OK!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 558 Likes on 453 Posts

Is it out of warranty?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RicK T
Is it out of warranty?
Nope, not out of warranty. It's a November 2008 car and I think my three year warranty will cover it. Also I bought a two year extention warranty.

My now concern is getting it repaired with no damage. The dealer I bought it from doesn't do that many Corvettes, mostly other Chevrolet products. I'm going to investigate taking it to a dealer that has a lot of other Corvette traffic.

I restored my 68 and went to a lot of expense to make the little things correct...even things you can't see. Similarly with my 70 which is still in "process." My 68 and the 70, as far as it exists today, have factory stock mint interiors. I don't want the repair to my 08 leave any blemish in the car. I belong to a Corvette Club and I'll try to find a dealer that won't damage the car.

For sure, if the car were out of warranty, I would try to repair it myself. Actually, since it is in warranty I don't want to try to repair it myself, since if I did make something that looked liked a mistake, the warranty would be invalid.

My philosophy....general rule, is that if someone has assembled something, I can disassemble it and reassemble it. For sure, it won't necessarily be straightforward. I may need special tools and special knowledge. Also, I recognize that I may not be able to repair or "fix" something the first time. I'm prepared to try many times to make a repair.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 08-23-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be as simple as the gear shift ****. Another forum member had this happen to his car and they replaced his entire shifter. After it was fixed a buddy of his messed around with the broken shifter and found a plastic piece broken in the ****. If the piece is broken,you remove the **** (which is a PIA until you learn how) and move the shifter into park. You can pull the top cap off of **** and then the front piece exposing where the piece that breaks is. If you want I take pictures of a **** pulled apart and show you the exposed areas. But if you are under warranty why mess with it?

How do I know this? Well I had my **** off for some time because it was such a PIA and I was working on different projects which required removal of console.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 A6, Park Lockout

Quick Reply: 08 A6, Park Lockout