C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default How important is dyno tune?

I bought my first Vette this year, an 05 coupe, and it came with Corsa exhaust. My son and his friends tell me I need to take it to Livernois Motor Sports for a Halltech and a dyno tune. How important is the tune? It's not that I'm cheap, but if the difference is negligible,,, but if it makes a difference in reliability I'll go for it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

A dyno is only a tool for tuning purposes when you mod your car. If all you did was bolt on mufflers, you r car is essentially stock and there is no need to dyno your car. You can tune it without putting it on the dyno for now. If you add a lot of bolt-ons, that is a different story. The installer may want to dyno tune it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

He said they want the car for 2 days to check the settings.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I just ran the numbers and they only charge $369 for the install and dyno tune, sound cheap to me, so I guess I'll go for it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
He said they want the car for 2 days to check the settings.
....... Tuning only takes a few of hrs at best for a well modified car. For a basically stock car it's a piece of cake to get everything tuned in an hour or so.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
....... Tuning only takes a few of hrs at best for a well modified car. For a basically stock car it's a piece of cake to get everything tuned in an hour or so.
Sounds like they want to let it sit and work on it in their spare time.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tuning makes a HUGE difference, even on stock cars.

It'll be the best 370 bucks you've ever spent.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see you are actually taking your car to the tuner. I have been through the mail order tune ordeal and in the end, the car may seem to run fine, but I have no clue what the tuner did or what you ended up with. I don't like that at all.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Larry R. Quinn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They may want to keep it for two days so they can do a " cold start " and check the start up tune parameters . On a mostly stock car , such as yours , there should not be any problems . I doubt that you will regret getting the tune after the Halltech install .
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
WHYASK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have alot of bolt ons dont waste your money when the car is stock. get the mods done first then have a baseline done then have the mods installed then get a good tune to compliment the mods.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
while some shops may well do this type of work, we never just slap a tune in a car and thrash it on the dyno in a short amount of time. We spend the time to properly calibrate all aspects of driving the car, WOT, part throttle, idle, cold start, etc. This is something, while technically being able to be done in a few hours time, is best to be validated over the course of a day. Also, scheduling the additional time allows us to make certain there are no other issues. Things like having a bad tank of fuel, or needing a set of spark plugs are unfortunately common enough that we plan for them, rather then promise a short time and then have them create scheduling conflicts with the plans that were made based off of the minimum required amount of time for the work.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
while some shops may well do this type of work, we never just slap a tune in a car and thrash it on the dyno in a short amount of time. We spend the time to properly calibrate all aspects of driving the car, WOT, part throttle, idle, cold start, etc. This is something, while technically being able to be done in a few hours time, is best to be validated over the course of a day. Also, scheduling the additional time allows us to make certain there are no other issues. Things like having a bad tank of fuel, or needing a set of spark plugs are unfortunately common enough that we plan for them, rather then promise a short time and then have them create scheduling conflicts with the plans that were made based off of the minimum required amount of time for the work.
I posted my comment prior to realizing the tuning would be done by you guys. With that being said, I've seen you guys work and realize you are much more detailed than most therefore requiring more time. All of the points you made above definitely justify the overnight stay.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I guess thats why my son and his friends said Livernois is the place in metro Detroit. Can't wait to have you guys help me. Now I just have to get my wife to give me a ride back. Maybe a piece of jewelry would help? )))
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I guess thats why my son and his friends said Livernois is the place in metro Detroit. Can't wait to have you guys help me. Now I just have to get my wife to give me a ride back. Maybe a piece of jewelry would help? )))

Bribery works like a charm... I had to cough up an iPad for my Heads/cam install.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:08 AM
LKicklight
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty

Will Dyno Tuning a stock engine invalidate the factory warranty?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LKicklight
Will Dyno Tuning a stock engine invalidate the factory warranty?
Only the powertrain warranty. The rest of the factory warranty will be in place.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Only the powertrain warranty. The rest of the factory warranty will be in place.

Any performance tune will void the powertrain warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To How important is dyno tune?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Gold is expensive these days. Depending on her taste, it may be cheaper to give her the Vette and buy another one!!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Tuning makes a HUGE difference, even on stock cars.

It'll be the best 370 bucks you've ever spent.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Makes total sense from a customer service and quality point of view IMO.

Quick Reply: How important is dyno tune?