C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls7 cam in an ls3

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM
sftdyna
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls7 cam in an ls3

just wondering is the increase from an ls7 cam and the 1.8 ratio rockers worth 30hp? also is it true you dont need to change the valve springs? there was a rumor that the 2011 ls3 valve springs were improved so i was just thinking that if you werent looking for alot of power maybe this would be a cost effective mod to add to my 2011 gs along with the ls7 exhaust i have being the price of the cam and not needing the valve springs or extra labor should save a few bucks. i was originally considering the lg executive cam because its close to stock sounding and has perfect drivability. its not really a money thing as much as being able to keep the motor all gm.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 954 Posts

It will work fine with your stock springs. The lift on the LS3, 7, and 9 are similar. The LS7 rocker arms won't work. Even if they would, the extra lift would be too much for the stock springs. I don't know that it would be worth your 30 hp though. A custom grind cam ground on lower lift lobes (for your stock springs) would get your 30 hp and more if you're willing to spend just a few more bucks for your cam.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 PM
sftdyna
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead
It will work fine with your stock springs. The lift on the LS3, 7, and 9 are similar. The LS7 rocker arms won't work. Even if they would, the extra lift would be too much for the stock springs. I don't know that it would be worth your 30 hp though. A custom grind cam ground on lower lift lobes (for your stock springs) would get your 30 hp and more if you're willing to spend just a few more bucks for your cam.
thanks motorhead, one more question if i may be so bold? what would be the max lift/duration with the stock valvetrain? could i run the lg executive without springs? safely of course
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by sftdyna
thanks motorhead, one more question if i may be so bold? what would be the max lift/duration with the stock valvetrain? could i run the lg executive without springs? safely of course
You'd have to ask LG. Their cam specs are "secret". I wouldn't use one of their cams because of that. I've heard of folks using .580 lift cams with the stock LS2/3 springs. I have no experience pushing the stock springs that far though.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 PM
sftdyna
Racer

You'd have to ask LG. Their cam specs are "secret". I wouldn't use one of their cams because of that. I've heard of folks using .580 lift cams with the stock LS2/3 springs. I have no experience pushing the stock springs that far though.
Thanks for all the info
Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Why wouldn't you want to change valvesprings during a cam swap?

You can get a fantastic cam package from Texas Speed for 600 bucks with cam, pushrods and valvesprings.

Don't bother with the LS7 cam.

You'd have to ask LG. Their cam specs are "secret". I wouldn't use one of their cams because of that.
The following users liked this post:
gsxrdan2 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
sftdyna
Racer

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Why wouldn't you want to change valvesprings during a cam swap?

You can get a fantastic cam package from Texas Speed for 600 bucks with cam, pushrods and valvesprings.

Don't bother with the LS7 cam.

floyd, i do here you. its just that i had a plan to give the car a few more ponies to close the gap in acceleration with the Z06. i absolutely wanted a vert and have followed the cam only mods for awhile but i dont need 500rwhp i dont want headers or an underdrive pulley, i wanted to go with the z exhaust using the npp from a 2011 zr1 i have that ready to go and have been told it would be good for 25hp so if i could get a cam with perfect driveability that would give me 25-30hp and port the throttle body i was hoping to net 60hp after the tune. im sure it wont be a Z but th seat of the pants feel will be greatly improved. now the cams that ive considered were all very small so ive been told the valve train would be fine for this type of baby cam, i also like the idea of keeping the car all gm which is why ive been looking at the ls7 cam. my friend has an 09 Z that i drive often and i like the powerband the ls7 gives, powerwise its got more then enough for me so if i can get close im happy! its not like you can get addicted to power or anything!!!! LOL
Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

I think I have read the stock springs are good to .550. The -E cams from LG have low duration, but A LOT of lift. You will have to change springs without a doubt.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

floyd, i do here you. its just that i had a plan to give the car a few more ponies to close the gap in acceleration with the Z06. i absolutely wanted a vert and have followed the cam only mods for awhile but i dont need 500rwhp i dont want headers or an underdrive pulley, i wanted to go with the z exhaust using the npp from a 2011 zr1 i have that ready to go and have been told it would be good for 25hp so if i could get a cam with perfect driveability that would give me 25-30hp and port the throttle body i was hoping to net 60hp after the tune. im sure it wont be a Z but th seat of the pants feel will be greatly improved. now the cams that ive considered were all very small so ive been told the valve train would be fine for this type of baby cam, i also like the idea of keeping the car all gm which is why ive been looking at the ls7 cam. my friend has an 09 Z that i drive often and i like the powerband the ls7 gives, powerwise its got more then enough for me so if i can get close im happy! its not like you can get addicted to power or anything!!!! LOL
The LS7 powerband comes from the huge cubic inch motor more than the cam.

Ans LS7 cam in your car will RAISE the powerband and I doubt it will give you 30rwhp.

Sticking with stock springs on an aftermarket cam, even low lift, is just asking for trouble. While lift may be low or similar the lobes are much more aggressive. You have to remove springs for a cam swap anyway. It's very cheap insurance that your car will stay running properly.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Ans LS7 cam in your car will RAISE the powerband and I doubt it will give you 30rwhp.

Sticking with stock springs on an aftermarket cam, even low lift, is just asking for trouble. While lift may be low or similar the lobes are much more aggressive. You have to remove springs for a cam swap anyway. It's very cheap insurance that your car will stay running properly.

Might as well replace them while they're off the car. Same with timing chain, pushrods, etc.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM
sftdyna
Racer

thanks floyd, and i also appreciate everyone elses help as well.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

You have to remove springs for a cam swap anyway.
Have you personally ever actually done a cam swap? That statement simply is not true.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt you would see a 25hp gain by adding ZR1 NPP. just my .02 I may be reading it wrong though.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 AM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On this forum, from everything I have read and all of the disasters posted, I would not skimp at all on the springs. If you bust a spring it will do some major damage. (again just from what I have read)
Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

FYI the ZR1 factory cam is only $110.00 and the factory OEM ZR1 valve springs are the very same springs used in your 2011 LS3.

Specs: .562"/.558" and 211*/230* @ 0.050

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 08-05-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Have you personally ever actually done a cam swap? That statement simply is not true.
True....The only things that have to come off are the rockers and pushrods. Theoretically the springs could stay on.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Yep, I have, but I suppose my recollection could be wrong because I've never swapped a cam without replacing springs.

Thanks for clearing it up

Get notified of new replies

To ls7 cam in an ls3

Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI the ZR1 factory cam is only $110.00 and the factory OEM ZR1 valve springs are the very same springs used in your 2011 LS3.

Specs: .562"/.558" and 211*/230* @ 0.050
They were used in the 2010's as well I believe.

Ive got a lightly used crane 224/224 .551/.551 114 LSA cam Ill sell for a decent price if the OP is interested. It will make more power then the options above im pretty sure and you should be able to keep your stock springs if you want to.

Last edited by breecher_7; 08-05-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Yep, I have, but I suppose my recollection could be wrong because I've never swapped a cam without replacing springs.

Thanks for clearing it up
Been awhile for me too Shawn but Motorhead is correct. All you have to remove is the rockers. However, from there it's so easy with the right tool to go ahead and replace the stock springs with better springs it almost seems ashamed not to replace them. You might find the new cam liking more rpm than the stock and needing a spring that's up to the task. Not worth the chance going with stock springs IMO.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,209 Likes on 697 Posts

For a little more than the Z06 cam you can get one spec'ed to your driving needs that will be easy to tune to a stock like driving experience. There are a couple cars on here with 218/230 116 cams that have shown better gains than a Z06 cam. At -8 overlap it will be a snap to tune. You can use EPS lobes with good lift, yet it won't destroy a quality valve spring in 10,000 miles.

Quick Reply: ls7 cam in an ls3