C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air bag light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sts57c5
Sounds good let me know if I can do anything to support the effort ,
I will for sure.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I will for sure.
Just checking in to see if you have any updates?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:29 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sts57c5
Just checking in to see if you have any updates?
Nothing new. My contact is not getting back to me so I guess he lost interest. I'm working on another one as of yesterday.
If anyone has an idea on who could help please try them or get in touch with me and I will. I have a letter from GM engineering admitting they have known about the C6 problem for years and will share it if necessary.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Nothing new. My contact is not getting back to me so I guess he lost interest. I'm working on another one as of yesterday.
If anyone has an idea on who could help please try them or get in touch with me and I will. I have a letter from GM engineering admitting they have known about the C6 problem for years and will share it if necessary.
Ok thanks for the update . If you think it would help for me send them a copy of the letter just let me know and pm me a copy of letter if you think it will help?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting... Both of my 2006's sometimes have the airbag light come on and then go away. Intermittently annoying.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ANGRY Z
Interesting... Both of my 2006's sometimes have the airbag light come on and then go away. Intermittently annoying.
Make sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA. It's the only way will get GM to fix this problem. Maybe it will happen soon.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

It only takes a few minuets.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM
jlew64
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick note to share my experience... I have a 2006 coupe with power seats that I bought in July 2013. After a few months the airbag light started coming on intermittently while driving. I took it to dealer and they diagnosed it as caused by "passenger presence module" and "left front pretensioner" and wanted $1300 to fix it. I also learned that seatbelts are not covered under my "Platinum" extended warranty! Anyway, checking here I found the comments about the under the seat wiring. I tried to check the connections but had a tough time (fat hands) really getting to the wiring harness. I did however raise the seat as suggested... my passenger used to keep it all the way down to the floor. Ever since doing that (a couple of months ago) the light has never reappeared, except at start-up like its supposed to. I hesitated posting this as I've been waiting to see if the fix was only temporary, but it seems to have done the trick!

The forum saved me $1300!! Thanks guys!!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jlew64
Just a quick note to share my experience... I have a 2006 coupe with power seats that I bought in July 2013. After a few months the airbag light started coming on intermittently while driving. I took it to dealer and they diagnosed it as caused by "passenger presence module" and "left front pretensioner" and wanted $1300 to fix it. I also learned that seatbelts are not covered under my "Platinum" extended warranty! Anyway, checking here I found the comments about the under the seat wiring. I tried to check the connections but had a tough time (fat hands) really getting to the wiring harness. I did however raise the seat as suggested... my passenger used to keep it all the way down to the floor. Ever since doing that (a couple of months ago) the light has never reappeared, except at start-up like its supposed to. I hesitated posting this as I've been waiting to see if the fix was only temporary, but it seems to have done the trick!

The forum saved me $1300!! Thanks guys!!
Thanks for the post please keep us updated. I think a lot of members with the problem are waiting to see if GM will perform a recall.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 PM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think are the chances that splicing and soldering the wires directly and eliminating the yellow connectors under the seats will turn my air bag light off? This is the last thing i can think of to do before bringing to the dealer and getting ripped off.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MikeMaj82
What do you think are the chances that splicing and soldering the wires directly and eliminating the yellow connectors under the seats will turn my air bag light off? This is the last thing i can think of to do before bringing to the dealer and getting ripped off.
If your problem is the yellow box it will work. That's what GM is doing to the Buick that is being recalled for the exact same problem. I'm holding off due to legal reasons. If I do that and have an accident involving the air bags GM would probably blame me.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 AM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Having the same problem with my 2012 Grand Sport. Thanks to all, I have some places to check now. No codes are showing up as the light is off right now, but its annoying when it comes on all the time. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA. so hopefully they look into this problem.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:19 AM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your problem is the yellow box it will work. That's what GM is doing to the Buick that is being recalled for the exact same problem. I'm holding off due to legal reasons. If I do that and have an accident involving the air bags GM would probably blame me.
I guess there's no way to know 100% if the problem is the yellow box though, is there? I cleaned them out with electrical spray and zip tied them as tight as I could. The light never even blinked. It's solid.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeMaj82
I guess there's no way to know 100% if the problem is the yellow box though, is there? I cleaned them out with electrical spray and zip tied them as tight as I could. The light never even blinked. It's solid.
Since I have left my drivers seat in one set position my light has not come back on .
Old 07-30-2014, 03:14 PM
carsspooner
2nd Gear

Default zip tie

Just yesterday on my way home from work the air bag light came on and then off then back on. I checked this forum and found out about the zip tie fix under the drives seat. I went out at lunch, put put my seat up and forward put a zip tie on the yellow plug...no more aire bag light. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carsspooner
Just yesterday on my way home from work the air bag light came on and then off then back on. I checked this forum and found out about the zip tie fix under the drives seat. I went out at lunch, put put my seat up and forward put a zip tie on the yellow plug...no more aire bag light. Thanks everyone!
Good deal glad it worked !
Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by carsspooner
Good news. If it's like most of us the light will return.

Make sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA. It only takes a few minuets and is the only way we will get GM to recall our Corvettes for this deadly issue.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
Old 11-16-2015, 01:22 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Y'all,

If the zip tie fix does not work and you decide to take it in let me know. I can help with the dealer visits. Keep me posted,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
When you state you can help with dealer visits to solve this problem does that mean they will fix the problem free of charge ?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:01 AM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by tracybarnes
GhostC6,

Before losing all your cash to a dealer, I'll clue you in on how to fix this. Believe me, Ferrari's, Lotus', Mercedes, and Porsche's all have these "personality" glitches. Their's are alot more expensive to fix though.

The wiring under the driver seat isn't well thought out and get's pulled and pushed and snagged from moving the seat back and forth (like exit settings or different drivers) or even from just sitting in the seat.

Here's what to do: Go to an auto parts place or even Walmart and get a can of electrical contact cleaner. The real stuff, not radio shack tuner cleaner or brake cleaner or anything like that.

Take out the airbag fuse under the passenger side footwell. Remove the 4 driver seat bolts and place a towel folded several times for cushioning on the door jamb plate. Look under the front of the seat and see if you can disconnect the 3 front connectors. If not, lift up the seat from the driver door side and pull it a bit toward you so you can tilt the seat back onto the center console. You can put a towel there too if you like.

That will give you room to get under the seat and disconnect all the connectors. Take a cell phone picture if you like so you can clip the yellow connectors back on the seat frame rail.

The yellow airbag connectors have an orange safety loop on them that you slide off. You will be able to figure out how to take the connectors apart, they're not hard to unclip from each other. The one in the front with the purple handle is just a lever latch, swing it up and over and it will unclip.

Take the seat out so you can inspect the wiring from the connectors and the wiring that runs under the carpet. Removing the seat is easy with the top off.

Check out all the wiring. Look for crush marks where anything might have been pinched under the seat. If so, you'll have to repair those or find someone who knows how to solder, no crimp connections please. You may have to unwrap some electrical tape to get a closer look if anything seems suspect.

If all the wiring checks out, we'll now clean the connections. Put the seat back in the tilted toward the console position. Take another old towel and put it under the connector pair that you are going to work on one at a time so we don't spray the carpet.

Spray a small amount of electrical contact cleaner on the terminals on each part of the connector. "Make and break" the connection several times by pushing the connector together, then pulling it back apart. The contact cleaner removes any oxidation, and the make and breaks etches fresh new contact paths on the metal terminals.

Put the connectors back together and with the yellow airbag connectors, put the orange safety clips back in. If you want, you can also add tie-wraps around the connectors for piece of mind.

Reclip the rear airbag connector to the frame and reposition the seat back flat on the floor. Look under and around and make sure the wiring can move freely and isn't snagged.

Bolt it back down and put the airbag fuse back in. You should be good to go for a few more years.

This is an excellent advice. I've been having this issue with the icon airbag. After reading this I am going to try it out. Thank you
Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 PM
melgies
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
One thing that may surprise people who are looking at those connectors is they also separate along their length. When I remove my seat to install race seats I have had them come apart like that several times. Another thing to watch for is to make sure the blue locking tabs are inserted correctly so you don't need to use the zip ties.

Before working on those connectors remove the air bag fuse in the instrument panel electrical center and wait one minute before removing the 4 nuts holding the seat to the floor, lift the seat off the studs, shove a couple of 2x4s/2x6s under the seat to hold it up and then using the power seat switch raise the seat to its highest point. That will make it much easier to work with the connectors.

Bill
The passenger seat is not power it doesn’t go up!! All the airbag connecters are under the passenger seat

Quick Reply: air bag light stays on