C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High lift camshafts link bar lifter failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default High lift camshafts link bar lifter failure

After 10K miles and approx. 10 hrs of road course use during those miles, my LS7 developed some upper end valve train noise.

I First suspected the CHE rockers as it sounded just like when my Harland Sharp V.1 rockers ( the ones with the bad bearings that were replaced under warranty by them). Ed Doyle @ CHE took VERY good care of me and checked them out after I overnightd them to him. Even though they had MINIMAL wear, he completely rebuilt them and sent them back to me. 1st class customer service all the way!

Because of time restaints, I had to install another set of rockers, so the CHE's are for sale.

After getting that report back, I decided to pull the heads to inspect the lower valve train. What I found was EXCESSIVE wear on the rollers of my Morrel Link Bar lifters ( standard not high RPM)
AND my Comp Cams ground LPE GT-19 camshaft. 227/239 .678/.688 114 LSA. This wear was VERY uneven from intake lobes to exhaust lobes to each individual lifter wheel.

Top end of the motor has very sound components

-LPE heads with Ferrea springs, ti retainers
-Stock Ti intake valves ( PVD coated for durability)
-Delwest custom Ti exhaust vales ( PVD coated for surability)
-Comp Pro Magnum 3/8" pushrods
-Morrel Link Bar lifters

To be truthfull, I loved the GT-19 camshaft. Between the motor build and tuning, the thing almost drove like stock and put down 571/532.

Initially, the springs were suspect, so we tested them while the heads were off (along with the guides and installing new seals). Springs were only down 5% from new when tested cold.

Possible reasons for the carnage...

1) too high of lift used in road race conditions
2) bad core ( low grade material/metalurgy)
3) bad metalurgy/hardening from morrel
4) valve float ( put springs still tested well)
5) lifter rotation in the bore. even though there can be no lateral movement in teh lifter bores, these lifter still have play in the link bar set-up that allows +/- 5 degrees of rotation
6) oil (uneven wear does not support this, nor does the great condition of the camshaft journals and bearings)

I suspected #1, so I inquired with several corvette racers/shops that road race on what they have used successfuly in LS7 applications. Special thanks to Randy at DRM and John at 21st century for all the help. MTI never returned a call when they said they would, even on in stock parts.

Timing played a key role in which cam I went with and ultimately John had one on the shelf that looked the most promissing. He second day'd it out to me and I went with Lunatis Link bar lifters but with the high RPM version because of the wider roller wheel and advertised high RPM abilities.

-LPE claims no failures with GT-19 packages
-Comp says the core was not identified as a bad core in their system
-Morrel was too busy to be bothered and has a set sent in from HKE over 12 months agao with no report back,

Although there is no definate conclusion to this, I'm hoping an advertised higher quality lifter and a lower lift camshaft that has been proven with over 30 hrs of track use in another LS7 keeps this motor running strong for longer than 10K miles

Those with more knowledge than me can look at the pics and decide for yourself..

As a side note, the car ran great yesterday at HP for (4) 30 minute sessions in 90 degree heat. passed everything but the gas pump.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 12-31-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Default and the morrel link bar lifters

Edit: duplicate information.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 12-31-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: duplicate info.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

I have exactly the sames pics...valve-train instability in my case...solved by matching the correct peripherals.

Did I mention the amount spent twice (at least) for a wrong first OK to go?

Christian
Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Thank God the lift on the cam gets SMALLER when the valve train beats it self up so no other problems.

I guess keeping a good ear what the car sounds like helps too. I have enough miles both on an off track now to know how the car "should" be running at any point and time.

And I almost signed up for the Good Guys auto-x the same day I found the drive train noise.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you please detail the symptoms that made you look into the problem to begin with?

I have the same lifters in my new motor. I also have a bit more cam than you as well.

On startup, my car has a top end tick until the oil reaches about 100 degrees. Sometimes, the tick doesn't go away at all, unless I shut down and restart no matter what the oil temp is. We have been blaming an air pocket for the noise, and I have been told this is normal.

Tony

Last edited by KLLRVET; 06-27-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
Can you please detail the symptoms that made you look into the problem to begin with?

I have the same lifters in my new motor. I also have a bit more cam than you as well.

On startup, my car has a top end tick until the oil reaches about 100 degrees. Sometimes, the tick doesn't go away at all, unless I shut down and restart no matter what the oil temp is. We have been blaming an air pocket for the noise, and I have been told this is normal.

Tony
This was an additional noise that was above and beyond the typical LS7injector noise and the noise and my lite weight Titanium intake/exhaust valves closing with the Ferrea springs.

It happened whether the oil is warm or cold. More noticeable at idle up to about 2K rpm. I could hear it from inside the car with the windows up.

when my harland sharp V.1 rocker bearings went bad, it was more like a squeek.

BTW, air pockets don't "tick" I had a darton liner drop in my first 454 cu in LS7 and the heater box sounded like an aquarium when I turned off the car. #4 liner dropped a thou and compression gas's were making it into the coolant passages.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 12-31-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spealing...;-)
Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

I meant an air picket in the lifter, not something like a dropped sleeve.

I'm scared to say,
It happened whether the oil is warm or cold. More noticeable at idle up to about 2K rpm. I could hear it from inside the car with the windows up.

If I got down on the ground I could hear it from under the car too, almost like it was coming through the block.
is what I have heard.... I'll cut open my oil filter when I change the oil this weekend
Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I just went thru the same issue with an OEM lifter going bad and taking out a cam lobe (only .581 lift). I've come to the conclusion that there is no really good soln to this as it appears even a $500 set of linked-lifters are prone to the same results.

I'm questioning if the lifters are oil starved with a stock block; oil passages not designed to entirely reach lifters when increaing cam lift because the lifter is further up into the lifter bore? Sustained high RPM's (road course) would quicken the failure.

My gut feeling is many of those with aftermarket cams will evetually start seeing lifter failure once they log enough miles/hours. Time will tell.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say bad cam or bad lifters or combo of both.But of coarse nobody will replace either piece.But they will sell you another one? I bet the cam is suspect which then tore up the lifters. At least your back to tearing up the road coarse again.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Bowtiguy pm sent
Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would take both peices and have them tested to see if the hardness rating is the same between the two. If one is exceptionally harder than the other its going to tear up the other if lubrication is lack luster. I am sure that there are some metallurgy or bearing analysis websites somewhere where you can post these pictures to get an experts opinion on what happened.

I have seen bearing failures like this in paper mills in large load bearing roller bearings. In talking with the bearing representatives I recall him using terms like flaking and spalling. The pictures you displayed looks very much like the failures I saw on the bearings. The lifters rolling over the tops of the cam lobes have similar actions of a bearing other than varying loads as it goes up and down on the lobe profile.

Last edited by tjwong; 06-30-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

We see this same problem in Big Block Chevy race motors. Your lifters were worn out. If you grab the roller will find up/down play in it as well as slight hard points when you roll it carefully. The lifters then galled the cam lobes as they skipped across the surface.

Now the big question is why were the lifters worn out at 10K miles. It most likely was poor quality needle bearings but could also be not enough spring pressure and thus hammering the lifter during valve float. I see Isky is now selling roller lifters with bushings vs needle bearings to eliminate the problem. Some of the other manufacturers are now selling larger diameter lifters with larger roller wheels and thus larger bearings. This is a good alternative, but requires bushing the block lifter bores using a BHJ fixture.

Best of luck!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Luweegy
I would say bad cam or bad lifters or combo of both.But of coarse nobody will replace either piece.But they will sell you another one? I bet the cam is suspect which then tore up the lifters. At least your back to tearing up the road coarse again.

NO sh*t. neither MFG gave a flying fling. Not that I was looking for free replacements. I just didn't want the same results next go around.

Originally Posted by tjwong
I would take both peices and have them tested to see if the hardness rating is the same between the two. If one is exceptionally harder than the other its going to tear up the other if lubrication is lack luster. I am sure that there are some metallurgy or bearing analysis websites somewhere where you can post these pictures to get an experts opinion on what happened.

I have seen bearing failures like this in paper mills in large load bearing roller bearings. In talking with the bearing representatives I recall him using terms like flaking and spalling. The pictures you displayed looks very much like the failures I saw on the bearings. The lifters rolling over the tops of the cam lobes have similar actions of a bearing other than varying loads as it goes up and down on the lobe profile.
Thanks for the input, I am going to do some research to find someone to check these out. I wish I would have gone with a higher quality "race core" camshaft this time around, but I was itchin' to get it running again and it would have taken longer to get one.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 12-31-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: I need to proof read more.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Harbinz51
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you possibly change oil weight in this process?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
c4mako
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Vito.......not enough spring pressure to prevent valve float. All it takes is the start of a minute flat spot on a roller - and it's on it way to becoming a flat tappet.....
Old 07-02-2011, 12:19 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Last edited by bowtiguy; 07-15-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: double post
Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4mako
I agree with Vito.......not enough spring pressure to prevent valve float. All it takes is the start of a minute flat spot on a roller - and it's on it way to becoming a flat tappet.....

If thats true, then LPE needs to go back to the drawing board on their "630 hp" package using the GT-19 camshaft and Ferrea spring pack.

Advertised specs are 410# open/ 130# closed. When we tested the "used" springs. they lost less than 10#'s open. closed were still right on the money.

Hopefully my "under .650 lift" cam selection will prove more reliable.

Get notified of new replies

To High lift camshafts link bar lifter failure

Old 07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry to read about your misfortune Bowtie. I agree with Christian, that looks like valve train instability rather than a defective part/metalurgy.

Also for anyone reading the thread who may not know, Lunati, Isky etc lifters are all made by Morel and rebadged under their brand name. No one makes better hydraulic rollers than Morel. It doesn't mean they never have a defect, but I doubt this is one of them in this case.

Curious, did you buy the 5294 equivalent, or the 5850 (both High rpm Morels/Lunatis/Isky, etc)?

Also, the lift on that Lingenfelter cam is borderline too high for stock ls7 rockers (whether they have been bushed or not).

Keeping it under .650 for road racing is a step in the right direction all around.

Who installed and setup your valve train (the first time)? Was it Lingenfelter?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stage7
I'm sorry to read about your misfortune Bowtie. I agree with Christian, that looks like valve train instability rather than a defective part/metalurgy.

Also for anyone reading the thread who may not know, Lunati, Isky etc lifters are all made by Morel and rebadged under their brand name. No one makes better hydraulic rollers than Morel. It doesn't mean they never have a defect, but I doubt this is one of them in this case.

Curious, did you buy the 5294 equivalent, or the 5850 (both High rpm Morels/Lunatis/Isky, etc)?

Keeping it under .650 for road racing is a step in the right direction all around.

Who installed and setup your valve train (the first time)? Was it Lingenfelter?
I agree on the valve train instability. Thats why I went with more duration/less lift this time around.

My first lifters were Isky (non link-bar) in my 454 cu in LS7. I swapped those in after my Cadillac lifters fell apart (under .650 lift camshaft).

The lifters pictured were the standard Morel linkbars. I put the high RPM ( lunati) version in this go around.

LPE set-up the heads/valvetrain the first time around. Turns out my 7.750 pushrods worked well with the new grind cam. I haven't got it on the rollers yet, but the power is all over the RPM range now.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 07-13-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

That looks like my LG cam and stock LS6 rollers. 10+ of the 16 lobes/lifters were damaged, more on some than others. I would loose oil PSI at idle to 0 and gain regular PSI at anything above idle. Tear down found the cam/lifters to be the only failure.

Quick Reply: High lift camshafts link bar lifter failure