C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving down the road and clutch pedal drops, cant get into gear and fluid leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:49 PM
vince3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driving down the road and clutch pedal drops, cant get into gear and fluid leaking...

I was driving down the road, all the sudden the clutch pedal drops to the floor and it will now not go into gear. When i push the clutch pedal its sprays fluid out of the bottom of the car. Just had the transmission and clutch replaced with in the last month. Any ideas???
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM
0MR Z
Former Vendor

clutch master or slave cylinder is busted.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MR Z
clutch master or slave cylinder is busted.

Elmer
Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
vince3
Racer

It was replaced with the clutch 2 months ago. Could it be anything else?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
vince3
Racer

Couldn't see where it's leaking, but when I put clutch fluid in leaks out the bottom even when I push the clutch pedal. No difference when the car is on or off except it can go in gear with the car off.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleeder screw could be loose
Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I would hope it might be something very simple - like c6_rob said, maybe the bleed valve was simply not tightened down.

At any rate, I sure would hold the shop that did the recent work on the transmission and clutch totally responsible!!!!

However, if it is something simple, perhaps you can pretty easily fix it yourself - except that you'd need the small clip or roll pin that hold the tubes in place. Take a look at the picture below:

You can see that item# 26 is the clutch fluid reservoir. Coming out of the bottom of the reservoir is a tube (item 21, and there are two clips identified as item 20) down to the master cylinder (item# 1).

That tube is not pressurized, so it doesn't sound like it's your problem.

When the clutch pedal is pushed down the master cylinder builds up pressure in the line which is item 16. That line connects the master cylinder to the clutch actualtor (item 25), and that part that extends out of the actuator is the bleed valve.

What I would think might be the problem are one of the items that secure the line (item 16) to either the master cylinder or the actuator.

Item# 15 is a small clip that holds the line in the master cylinder. In the Service Manual it makes particular mention that when you put that clip into place to take special care not to just rely on feel or a sound of a click - you must visually check to make sure it is properly in place to secure the line properly in the master cylinder.

Item# 17 is seal. It should be in there to keep the highly pressurized fluid from squirting out when you push the clutch pedal down.

Item# 22 is a roll pin. It is pushed out with a punch to release the end of the line from the actuator. It's force-fit in there, but if it got loose when being removed then it's possible it might fall out. I would be more suspect that it might have gotten left out when the line was reattached to the actuator. Make sure the seal #17 is in there and that the roll pin #22 is in there to secure that end of the line.

Those are just some things to check. I don't want to suggest that the shop just did a sloppy job, but if one of those clips, pins, or seals is missing, I would lay it right on the shop!!

Good luck!!!

Bob
Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
vince3
Racer

Thanks for that diagram, I will look at this very closely. Is there anyway that i could be certain that it is or is not the slave?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If its leaking from the bellhousing it's either a loose bleeder as mentioned but if that's tight then it's definitely slave related. Anything related to the slave requires the bottom of the car being pulled.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
jim201
Advanced

I have had the exact same problem, turned out to be the Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder.....replaced them and no more issues!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
redfungoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by vince3
I was driving down the road, all the sudden the clutch pedal drops to the floor and it will now not go into gear. When i push the clutch pedal its sprays fluid out of the bottom of the car. Just had the transmission and clutch replaced with in the last month. Any ideas???
Do you have headers on, It happened to my cuz, header melted clutch hose from master to the internal slave cyl.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving down the road and clutch pedal drops, cant get into gear and fluid leaking...

Quick Reply: Driving down the road and clutch pedal drops, cant get into gear and fluid leaking...