C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halltech Super Bee MF103 for the LS3 is here! Installed pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Halltech Super Bee MF103 for the LS3 is here! Installed pics and video

Super Bee logo is photoshopped on the intake. Comes in GM FRC matching black satin.

Halltech unleashes its World Famous Super Bee™ MF103 (2008-2012 LS3/2006-2012 Z06) including Beehive™ now in plastic!! The MF103 requires NO TUNING and has better than stock idle manners due to the MAF forward design and integrated velocity stack built into the filter flange. Made from roto-molded cross link polyethylene it brings the same horsepower to your LS7 or LS3 as you have seen the past year in the Super Bee™ FG102 or CF112 Carbon. Size matters, and the Super Bee™ MF103 is 102.5mm at the MAF read and at the exit, meaning it is larger than the massive Williams Performance 102 Throttle Body, but comes with the connector hose for the stock throttle body, but can be ordered with the larger connector hose for the WP102 TB. Did we mention NO TUNING! Halltech's roto-molded version of the Super Bee™ FG102 features the same filter and Beehive™ as the Carbon and Fiberglass version as well as the Killer Bee™ II. Since early 2010, the Super Bee™ has been the dominant Halltech induction system, with staggering horsepower and torque numbers that have literally shattered all records. From engine dynos to chassis dynos, you will not find more power from any intake made. Katech just built the "Highest rwhp NA car ever built by Katech" and "Highest rwhp NA car ever on Vector Motorsports' dyno" according to Jason Harding of Katech Performance using the Super Bee™ induction system on their #48 Track Attack Z06. Jerry's Chevrolet picked up 33 RWHP with just the Super Bee™ FG102 back in early 2010, with minor MAF table adjustments. The Super Bee™ MF103 needs no MAF table adjustments and comes pre-tuned for the street. That means no warranty issues period. Guaranteed! We have sold over 200 Super Bees over the past year, mostly to Katech Performance, and other Chevrolet dealers for their race cars and street cars. Now made in plastic, you can have this instant horsepower bolt on for your LS3 or LS7. June 1st release date. Taking pre-orders on a 1st in, 1st out basis.

More pictures

We did a YouTube installation video today at home for a Badger State Club intake auction winner, which we donated on behalf of my good friend Jim Booth of Corvette Accessories Unlimited. Jim's son-in-law is in line for a liver transplant and so far $20,000 has been raised through this auction in his behalf. Brian has had one liver transplant, which his body is rejecting, and Jim Booth is still trying to raise money to help this family.
MORE

I will post the install video later today.

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 05-29-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Couple more pictures.

This video was taken three weeks ago on the same LS3 with our original rapid prototype model that I made back in late 2009. This Super Bee model is the exact model used to make our Super Bee CF112 and CF102 Carbon Fiber intakes, used on most of the Katech Track Attack and Street Attack motors. We have sold over 300 of these in the past couple of years, with most going to Katech. We have 8 Chevy dealers installing these in the CF102 version so that tuning is not a factor. The MF103 does NOT require any tuning at all. Here is a video of the stock virgin LS3 intake LTFTs vs. the Halltech Super Bee MF103. We edited out the Killer Bee II LTFT run which happened after the stock 2 minute run. What you will see is two or so minutes of the stock intake and then the Super Bee MF103. It has superior idle quality to even stock and better LTFTs.

Release date June 3rd.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Halltech Super Bee MF103 Installation Video

This video may still be processing on YouTube. Check back in 15 minutes.

Last edited by Halltech; 06-03-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Pre-Order

Pre-order now!

We have a waiting list starting, and will start shipping the end of next week:

http://www.halltechsystems.com/Produ...ctCode=SBMF103

Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Katech, as most of you know, did most of the dyno testing on the LS7 for GM.

This is the LS7 stock intake vs. the Super Bee:

Similar results can be expected on your LS3 since the induction system is very similar.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Jim,

I am very interested in this. I have a couple of questions though. Is this designed to fit an LS3 with stock size TB? I have a bolt on 09 LS3
with a competitors intake. I have very noticeable (and irritating) surging, when cold, between 1500 and 2500 RPMs. I can still feel it, but
less noticeable, when warm. The tune has been adjusted multiple times to eliminate this, with no luck. I would want to use your intake
primarily to eliminate the surging. My question is, if it won't correct the surging can I get a refund?

Thanks!

Last edited by tomiboy; 05-30-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:50 AM
sampaschal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What appears to be evident on the graphs is that unless you are twisting the engine to its limits...not much is happening. Below about 4K RPM...you don't see much action. for a street driven car I don't know what the benefit would be. If you can show substantial gain in HP/TQ below3-4k RPM...where most of us operate...then we would have something IMHO.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by sampaschal
What appears to be evident on the graphs is that unless you are twisting the engine to its limits...not much is happening. Below about 4K RPM...you don't see much action. for a street driven car I don't know what the benefit would be. If you can show substantial gain in HP/TQ below3-4k RPM...where most of us operate...then we would have something IMHO.
What you say is true, but not very many mods will improve low end HP/TQ except higher compression, roots blower, FAST or ported IM, or an
increase in displacement. (all these are expensive or time consuming to do, except maybe a stage 2 ported IM) Even the majority of cams I've
checked out don't seem to do much until you hit 3500 to 4000 RPMs. I believe most bolt ons add mostly to top end. The additional 40 HP I've
added through bolt ons is VERY noticable when I stand on the throttle. I probably do this once everytime I take it out. That's why I got a Vette!

Last edited by tomiboy; 05-30-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Does the shroud get opened before installation? If so, any pictures or template to see?

If not, will an open shroud affect performance? For example, if someone replace a Vararam with this piece, would the open area be problematic, or would it be best to seal the hole or replace the shroud?

Awesome looking product, guys; Id really love to try one.

Last edited by Craigster05; 05-30-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

What is the cost for everything like the first pic shows? also I will assume that everything is included for a direct bolt on? I will also assume it will come with the rubber hose to connect to my stock or ported LS3 TB? Where and how do I order? And what is the time frame before they will ship out. If all is a go I am ready to order. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by tomiboy
Jim,

I am very interested in this. I have a couple of questions though. Is this designed to fit an LS3 with stock size TB? I have a bolt on 09 LS3
with a competitors intake. I have very noticeable (and irritating) surging, when cold, between 1500 and 2500 RPMs. I can still feel it, but
less noticeable, when warm. The tune has been adjusted multiple times to eliminate this, with no luck. I would want to use your intake
primarily to eliminate the surging. My question is, if it won't correct the surging can I get a refund?

Thanks!
In the video instructions above, this customer has a bone stock LS3. Yes, the stock throttle body. It comes with a step hose that fits exactly as shown in the video.

We have spent over 17 months testing this intake on the LS7 and on three LS3s. Idle is perfect. Look at the LTFTs in the video above compared to the factory stock intake. The Super Bee is cleaner and rests near zero. This means that the MAF is metering very close to stock.

As long as you do not open up ram air ports directly beneath the filter, there will be NO SURGING. In fact, Katech claims this intake helps eliminate surging on their big cam profiles due to the MAF forward anti-surging design.

Jim
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by sampaschal
This intake will appeal to those that like to keep their timing from going south. The Beehive conceals the filter and IAT from the hot engine heat. Your ECM starts pulling timing at 86F degrees, which at a stop light during the Summer heat, will always be much more than that at the IAT.

This intake just made 30 more horsepower on the Whipple Supercharged LS7. It was 670 RWHP with the stock airbox and K&N, and 700 RWHP with the Super Bee.

Originally Posted by Dustin@Whipple
Sorry guys, we've been crazy busy.

LS3 makes roughly 600rwhp, 7.5psi, 91-octane, stock air box, K&N element.

LS7 makes roughly 700rwhp, 7.5psi, 91-octane with Halltech cold air system. Stock box with K&N is 25-30hp down.
Similarly, the Edlebrock SC tested by Lucky's Speed, gained 40 HP with the installation of JUST the Beehive heat shield. Again, this is conservation of timing horsepower, not actual hp gains. The Beehive simply shield the filter.

Ram air ports can be cut on the sides of the filter. http://www.corvettels7.com/Instructi...iveInstall.pdf

This allows ram air into the Beehive, but no claim of +ambient are being made. That is obviously not in the design.

If you want links to the Supercharger threads or videos, let me know.

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 05-30-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Does the shroud get opened before installation? If so, any pictures or template to see?

If not, will an open shroud affect performance? For example, if someone replace a Vararam with this piece, would the open area be problematic, or would it be best to seal the hole or replace the shroud?

Awesome looking product, guys; Id really love to try one.
Hey Craigster05, you should not cut the shroud directly below the filter or you will get turbulence and poor MAF metering. This is why ram air intakes surge. Our instructions above show how to cut ram air ports that do not affect the metering.

On the Grand Sport, no cutting of any kind is necessary since the factory NACA ducting brings cold air into the Beehive just like the LS7.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DRLC5
What is the cost for everything like the first pic shows? also I will assume that everything is included for a direct bolt on? I will also assume it will come with the rubber hose to connect to my stock or ported LS3 TB? Where and how do I order? And what is the time frame before they will ship out. If all is a go I am ready to order. Thanks.
$499.99 from our website. This is a pre-release price. June 1st is our release date.

Yes everything comes with the package:

Remember this is not a new induction system. It is identical to the Katech race version of the Super Bee CF102/CF112, only not carbon fiber. The plastic version is made from the same CAD/Solid Works drawing as our carbon fiber unit. The mold just finished, and cost over $15,000 to make. That's commitment.

NO TUNING OF ANY KIND REQUIRED. GUARANTEED NO CODES OR SURGING. MORE INFORMATION
Old 05-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Katech endorses Halltech's Super Bee

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...no-record.html

Notice, that this intake system is found on all Katech engine builds, except those where the customer has already purchased another system.

The carbon fiber versions are simply too expensive to make any longer, except for those that show off their engine bay.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Surging with the GM Stage 3 cam with 40 degrees overlap

Surging is the worse feeling ever. I would get rid of my Z06 if it surged.
There are reasons for surging.

Example: I purchased a 2006 Z06 back in 2005 in TX. It was used. I drove it back to CA and had surging the whole trip. When I filled up with E0, that helped, but the lean surging condition felt like someone was touching my brakes continuously.

When I got back to the shop in HB CA, I took off the filter assembly and what did it reveal? A big gapping hole directly in front of the filter mouth had been cut by the previous owner. Needless to say, I bought a new radiator shroud and wallah, gone!

Large cam profiles present another anomaly. Surging from cam overlap. It is very hard to eliminate completely, since it is a physical condition caused by intake reversion during the exhaust cycle and intake opening during the end of the exhaust cycle (overlap).

Here is the quote from Jason Harding of Katech regarding the huge Stage 3 GM cam in their record breaking motor just built:

My impressions (Jason):

"I am shocked at how well this car drives. It has the GM Stage 3 cam in it so I didn't expect the drivability to be very good with 40 degrees of overlap. I've driven a couple other cars with the cam, the Katech LS7-powered Camaro SS and Everett's Mosler MT900KR. Those cars both had higher gear ratios which put the cruising rpm at a point which is more tolerable with the GM Stage 3 cam. With the Z06's 5th and 6th gear ratios I was concerned that the bucking at low rpm low throttle input could be intolerable. It's not. I attribute that to a few factors. The car is equipped with all of the ingredients that really help to smooth out a big cam. First, it has a Halltech Superbee CF 112 intake with the MAF forward design. I've noticed that this slightly improves the drivability of the Torquer cam on my car and it's even more of an improvement with the GM Stage 3. I believe the MAF forward design moves the MAF sensor futher away from being buffeted by cam pulses.
Here is the whole thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...no-record.html
Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Time frame depends on when you order. We are now in a cue from pre-orders. We should be able to start shipping orders the end of next week. Right now we have only 5 in line before you. Once the mold is back in action, we can make around 16 per day.

Attached to the stock throttle body. If you upgrade to the WP102 throttle body later, it is as simple as changing the connector hose with the Super Bee. It was designed specifically to accommodate the larger throttle bodies, but works perfectly with the step hose on stock applications.

Last edited by Halltech; 05-30-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Super Bee MF103 for the LS3 is here! Installed pics and video

Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

This is our rapid prototype model that I designed. Notice the detail in the MAF mount boss:

This model was done in a working model that has been on a local LS3 for a month now. The Green LS3 in the pictures now has our very first production unit onboard.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Halltech
$499.99 from our website. This is a pre-release price. June 1st is our release date.

Yes everything comes with the package:

Remember this is not a new induction system. It is identical to the Katech race version of the Super Bee CF102/CF112, only not carbon fiber. The plastic version is made from the same CAD/Solid Works drawing as our carbon fiber unit. The mold just finished, and cost over $15,000 to make. That's commitment.

NO TUNING OF ANY KIND REQUIRED. GUARANTEED NO CODES OR SURGING. MORE INFORMATION
That final statement "NO TUNING OF ANY KIND REQUIRED> GUARANTEED NO CODES OR SURGING"

That's all I needed to hear!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Halltech
Hey Craigster05, you should not cut the shroud directly below the filter or you will get turbulence and poor MAF metering. This is why ram air intakes surge. Our instructions above show how to cut ram air ports that do not affect the metering.

On the Grand Sport, no cutting of any kind is necessary since the factory NACA ducting brings cold air into the Beehive just like the LS7.
So, when I remove the Vararam, I should either replace the shroud, or seal up the cutout...thanks for the info...looking forward to trying this.

Quick Reply: Halltech Super Bee MF103 for the LS3 is here! Installed pics and video