C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding - Intake, Headers, Cam, Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:41 PM
beeker
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding - Intake, Headers, Cam, Exhaust

Hi all,

Back in December 2010, I was finally able to get my first vette, from a very nice gentleman out in TX who also happens to be a member of this forum . I love it! It's a stock 2005 with the z51 package and coming from a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi Galant that was pushing under 180HP, this car been everything I thought it would be and more.

After 5 months of driving her almost daily I'm starting to get used to her, and I'm getting that itch to modify. I've thought about it for awhile and talked with a few buddies, and it seems that at this point in time, modding it but keeping it naturally aspirated is the best route to go.

I've been told that if I were to upgrade the air intake, headers, cam, and exhaust, I would be able to easily add an extra 50-90 HP or so (and get the true sound of that engine).

I'm pretty set on the SLP Loud Mouth exhaust system:

I'm not sure if the car in this video is stock (besides the exhaust) or if it has a cam, etc, but while I want the power increases, I also want it to sound like that but a bit meaner, which I understand will come from the cam.

Which intake, headers, and cam would you all recommend? I've seen the Vararam intake which seems like it would be a decent choice, but I'm clueless on it all really except for the exhaust. Any advice or information, maybe some vids? is appreciated!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:07 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think slp loudmouth is too loud to deal with for any real time.
how often do you drive car and for how long?

id say go to some car shows and vette events see what other owners have, listen to them and get owners veiws.

headers alone (even threw stock mufflers) sound great

intake is very debated subject, cam as well

who is going to install these parts? talk with shop that does install about cam choice.

headers what do you want to spend?
obx and no name ebay has become kinda popular with good results
you cant go wrong with LG, kooks or arh
many other header manufactors as well but ive never installed their products

good luck and enjoy

Last edited by smurfkiller; 05-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you and congrats on owning a Vette. Check out my MODs below for my 05' coupe. The only thing I regret doing was heads/cam. Going that route
requires gears, which I didn't do. I was happier with car with just bolt-ons, which should easily get you another 60rwhp. To get more, I'd go the supercharger route. Good luck.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 05-22-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

My first mod will be cheap headers........then i'll do a bafflectomy on the stock muffs..........loud pipes save lives!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 AM
beeker
3rd Gear

@smurfkiller: It's pretty much my daily driver. I don't necessarily drive her every day, but it's close enough. Thank you also for asking this because I forgot to mention, I'm really looking for just a mild cam upgrade (maybe not any this point if I can get a decent amount of HP without it) - I don't want it to be some huge loping cam you know, if I were to get one I wouldn't want to stray too far away from the current driveability.

Going to an event is a great idea, also the shop that I plan on having do the work seems awesome, really nice, knowledgeable people so that's definitely a resource like you said.

I'm thinking though after reading Turbooo2u post that just getting an intake, headers, exhaust, tune, and maybe upgrading parts of the fuel system? might be the best route to go to get the slight power increase I want while still keeping somewhat stock driveability. Depending on the headers and tune, it looks like I could possibly get the 60 HP you mentioned.

In the video I posted in my first post, do you guys think that car has a cam or anything else done to it besides the exhaust? Would I be able to get it to sound like with just the intake, headers, exhaust and tune?

Thank you guys for the info!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:58 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

The headers, intake, and cai will get you near 400 rwhp or about 60 additional Hp if you choose correctly. LG's website has some really good before and after dyno results to compare. If you are thinking about a cam then everything changes exponentially in terms of selection and cost. If you don't do the work yourself, you are probably looking at $1000-1500 in just labor not including all the supporting parts needed with a cam - pushrods, springs, timing chain, seals, fluids, etc. Headers and intake can be done in a garage with a buddy in an afternoon and save you a bunch of cash.

Bolt-ons and a tune will make the car feel brand new for quite a while. If you are just looking for a bit more power, I would start there.

Also, search around the forums. Tons of info regarding install tips, brand costs and Hp gains associated with each mod.

Welcome to the vette family and good luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You will be hating your car if you go with loudmouths and a cam. I had borla stingers on my c5 and loved them until I put on headers and a cam...then it was so loud it sounded like a race car.

Which is fun at a race track or car show, but no so much fun at 6 am leaving your neighborhood for work. And the drone at 1500 rpm or so will make you deaf on the highway.

I have QTP cutouts and stock mufflers and love them. Best of both worlds - super quiet during daily drive, loud when I want it to be.

Here is a video of idle with cutouts open and closed. The gain on the mike makes the closed sound much louder than it is, it's really quiet with factory mufflers even with my cam.

Here are some pics:

And if you want a peppier feel, look into some 4.10 gears. A cam doesn't do anything until 4000 rpm, but gears make the car feel 500 lbs lighter and you feel that every time you move the car.

Or do it in stages like I did. Bolt-ons + tune is about 50 rwhp, gears feel like 50 rwhp, cam is another 50 rwhp and a FAST intake is 20+.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
beeker
3rd Gear

Thank you guys for the info! taken19 I didn't realize the extra work that is needed when getting a new cam, and it makes sense. If I were to just get everything besides the cam (intake, headers, exhaust, tune) this is all pretty much just bolt on/programming right?

Joe_G wow, you're right the idle throws you off a bit at the beginning (gotta love audio on these cameras), but man once that thing starts revving you know the difference . Thank you and sick car!

After the responses here I think I'm going to either a. go to the shop I plan on having do the work and see if they have anything I can check out, or b. check out a show with some modded vettes, maybe both. Any good shows in the Phoenix area?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
You will be hating your car if you go with loudmouths and a cam. I had borla stingers on my c5 and loved them until I put on headers and a cam...then it was so loud it sounded like a race car.

Which is fun at a race track or car show, but no so much fun at 6 am leaving your neighborhood for work. And the drone at 1500 rpm or so will make you deaf on the highway.

I have QTP cutouts and stock mufflers and love them. Best of both worlds - super quiet during daily drive, loud when I want it to be.

Here is a video of idle with cutouts open and closed. The gain on the mike makes the closed sound much louder than it is, it's really quiet with factory mufflers even with my cam.

Here are some pics:

And if you want a peppier feel, look into some 4.10 gears. A cam doesn't do anything until 4000 rpm, but gears make the car feel 500 lbs lighter and you feel that every time you move the car.

Or do it in stages like I did. Bolt-ons + tune is about 50 rwhp, gears feel like 50 rwhp, cam is another 50 rwhp and a FAST intake is 20+.
Very Nice!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by beeker
Thank you guys for the info! taken19 I didn't realize the extra work that is needed when getting a new cam, and it makes sense. If I were to just get everything besides the cam (intake, headers, exhaust, tune) this is all pretty much just bolt on/programming right?

Joe_G wow, you're right the idle throws you off a bit at the beginning (gotta love audio on these cameras), but man once that thing starts revving you know the difference . Thank you and sick car!

After the responses here I think I'm going to either a. go to the shop I plan on having do the work and see if they have anything I can check out, or b. check out a show with some modded vettes, maybe both. Any good shows in the Phoenix area?
Thanks!

Contact user Hoxxoh on the board. Tom's in Scottsdale and is very well versed in modding and cars in general.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yes, headers, intake and cold air intake are bolt on and tune. With a tune you would be looking at 40-60 rwhp depending on choice. Remember to get a 160 degree Tstat while you are in there - most tuners require that. The tune will also do the creature comforts like adjusting fan temp, eliminating CAGS, etc.

Choosing between a ported stock intake and throttle body (Jeremy Formato does excellent work) and a ported FAST 102 will make the largest difference in both price and gains. Ported stock setup will run $400-500 and ported FAST is about $1000 and will give you an additional 10-15 rwhp. Run a search or call around to some shops and they can give you much more detail if needed. Otherwise, PM some of the guys who have already replied and I'm sure they would be more than willing to share their experience.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you mod your 05 save a bit just in case your diff explodes.

I vote ported Fast intake, full exhaust, MGW shifter, and tune. That will get you close to 400.

Then add a 100 shot of nitrous when your ready to grow hair on your chest. hahah
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,199 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Yes, headers, intake and cold air intake are bolt on and tune. With a tune you would be looking at 40-60 rwhp depending on choice. Remember to get a 160 degree Tstat while you are in there - most tuners require that. The tune will also do the creature comforts like adjusting fan temp, eliminating CAGS, etc.

Choosing between a ported stock intake and throttle body (Jeremy Formato does excellent work) and a ported FAST 102 will make the largest difference in both price and gains. Ported stock setup will run $400-500 and ported FAST is about $1000 and will give you an additional 10-15 rwhp. Run a search or call around to some shops and they can give you much more detail if needed. Otherwise, PM some of the guys who have already replied and I'm sure they would be more than willing to share their experience.
solid advice.

I'd think about budget too. You might want gears, you might want a cam. Add it all up and you could have had a blower and gained 150+ HP. But that is a different driving experience and requires a lot of cash upfront.

You'll want better tires if you want to be able to launch the car, so factor that in too.

Get notified of new replies

To Modding - Intake, Headers, Cam, Exhaust

Quick Reply: Modding - Intake, Headers, Cam, Exhaust