C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

OBX Headers yes or no....

Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by storxusmc
does anyone know if someone has documented what needs to be done to the obx setup to make it work??
You might not need anything to make them fit, you won't really know for sure until you get them and attempt to put them on. In some cases you will need to use a pry bar to actually force the X-pipe onto the headers while another person bolts them up. And/or you might even need to use some wire or rubber wedges to move them away from the transmission because they could bang against that as well.
Anything can be made/fabricated to fit, but most people that have lots of experience installing the many various types of C5 & C6 headers/X-pipes/exhaust systems will tell you that the big name header offerings usually require far less effort/manipulation to install.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone just pm'd me saying i can probably upgrade to a z06 npp stock exhaust and get almost the same as obx headers... can someone else give me a warm woody that this is true....
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

someone just pm'd me saying i can probably upgrade to a z06 npp stock exhaust and get almost the same as obx headers... can someone else give me a warm woody that this is true....
Absolutely not true, unfortunately.
Unless of course they actually meant that if you were to upgrade to the FULL C6 Z06 exhaust manifolds/cats/mid pipes set up etc. That system has proven to perform very well over the standard C6 set up but in my opinion true tubular long headers with the accompanying X-pipe are still best.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:55 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
You'd need a tubing bender (muffler shop hardware)
You don't need to bend the tube. You can do a quick cut and weld to straighten it out. It took an exhaust shop 30 minutes to straighten my x-pipe out (mine were not OBX though)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not meaning to change the subject but you dont' get these issues with the higher quality American made headers. There might be a small issue (mine was missing an 02 ext but was overnighted to me) I have always purcashed name brand quality stuff and I couldn't buy Chinese Knock offs. Glad those that do havent had too may issues.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by gunterwalker
Not meaning to change the subject but you dont' get these issues with the higher quality American made headers. There might be a small issue (mine was missing an 02 ext but was overnighted to me) I have always purcashed name brand quality stuff and I couldn't buy Chinese Knock offs. Glad those that do havent had too may issues.
There HAVE been issues with American headers before as well, but it isn't real common.

30 minutes to straighten out an X-pipe is well worth the savings I got.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
There HAVE been issues with American headers before as well, but it isn't real common.

30 minutes to straighten out an X-pipe is well worth the savings I got.
so you just had to cut and straighten a pipe to make the obx fit your 2009....???

also i think the pm was refering to full z06 exhaust.....but wont my auto trans make the z06 not fit in the rear...
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

so you just had to cut and straighten a pipe to make the obx fit your 2009....???

also i think the pm was refering to full z06 exhaust.....but wont my auto trans make the z06 not fit in the rear...
I don't have OBX or a 2009

I cut the x-pipe on my longtubes to fit on my 2007 because they were slightly out of line.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

You don't need to bend the tube. You can do a quick cut and weld to straighten it out. It took an exhaust shop 30 minutes to straighten my x-pipe out (mine were not OBX though)
Yeah you can do a cut and weld but a 30 second adjustment in the tubing bender is a lot easier.

The take-away here is that these headers are not going to be a direct bolt-on to his 2009.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 AM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that the OBX Racing site doesn't show headers for a corvette. They list a lot of vehicles, but no Vette. Am I missing something?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Yeah you can do a cut and weld but a 30 second adjustment in the tubing bender is a lot easier.

The take-away here is that these headers are not going to be a direct bolt-on to his 2009.
I mentioned it because more people have access to a welder than they do a bender.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We've installed several sets and though I understand the economics of the original purchase, I don't see the overall value.

When you add the cost of O2 extensions, high-flow cats, real clamps and gaskets, the cost goes up much closer to a complete, better fitting system from ARH.

Plus, ARH has a great customer service and they are easy to find should you have a warranty issue.

Just my two cents on this...
The following users liked this post:
Proud Owner (12-10-2015)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Bls8195
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Roughly what does it cost to get headers installed?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 AM
storxusmc
Instructor

so which one would be better idea..... i was almost thinking of going with the Z06 setup because i imagine it wouldnt void my warranty....or throw engine codes.... without a tune but let me get your opinion as i dont even know if the Z06 will work on my car with an auto trans...

OBX headers (modded) w/ stock mufflers

OBX headers (modded) w/ NPP mufflers

Stock Z06 exhaust (maybe modded for auto trans)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
We've installed several sets and though I understand the economics of the original purchase, I don't see the overall value.

When you add the cost of O2 extensions, high-flow cats, real clamps and gaskets, the cost goes up much closer to a complete, better fitting system from ARH.

Plus, ARH has a great customer service and they are easy to find should you have a warranty issue.

Just my two cents on this...

Two O2 extensions, clamps and gaskets don't cost very much. What a ridiculous statement to claim the cost gets much closer to a complete ARH setup.

You have to buy better gaskets with ARH as well.

I'm not sure what clamps they come with, but the band clamps that my ebay headers came with were awesome. All I did was buy two O2 extensions and re-used the stock gaskets. No issues in 30k miles.

So you have a 1500 dollar catless ARH setup vs 650 dollar catless obx setup. You can't tell me that the price becomes similar after buying clamps and 2 extensions.

Personally I bought the $450 dollar mirage headers, but got them when they were $350.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 05-18-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two O2 extensions, clamps and gaskets don't cost very much. What a ridiculous statement to claim the cost gets much closer to a complete ARH setup.

You have to buy better gaskets with ARH as well.

I'm not sure what clamps they come with, but the band clamps that my ebay headers came with were awesome. All I did was buy two O2 extensions and re-used the stock gaskets. No issues in 30k miles.

So you have a 1500 dollar catless ARH setup vs 650 dollar catless obx setup. You can't tell me that the price becomes similar after buying clamps and 2 extensions.

Personally I bought the $450 dollar mirage headers, but got them when they were $350.
Well, the cost does go up closer to the more expensive headers but still not as much.

Example:
Say you purchase a catless OBX system for $650.
Then you add cats...say $200
Then you add gaskets, O2 extensions, better clamps, etc...say $100-$150.
Now add the labor to have a muffler shop fit and weld in the new cats...IDK how much this would be but guessing around $100
That's $950 for a catted system. Now take into consideration that some places might charge more for the extra labor of welding in the cats and other crap.
Now just have someone install it and you're done.

I went with the cheaper headers...Fleebay.
Paid $375 for headers, X-pipe and no cats
Bought a pair of Magnaflow Spun cats off fleebay for $160
Extended my own O2 harness. FREE
Welded and fabbed everything myself.
Gaskets...$15
Total invested....$550 for a complete catted system.
2 years later and they're still going.

Last edited by Sparo2; 05-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sparo2
Well, the cost does go up closer to the more expensive headers but still not as much.

Example:
Say you purchase a catless OBX system for $650.
Then you add cats...say $200
Then you add gaskets, O2 extensions, better clamps, etc...say $100.
Now add the labor to have a muffler shop fit and weld in the new cats...IDK how much this would be but guessing around $100
That's $950 for a catted system. Now take into consideration that some places might charge more for the extra labor of welding in the cats and other crap.

I went with the cheaper headers...OBX I think.
Paid $375 for headers, X-pipe and no cats
Bought a pair of Magnaflow Spun cats off flebay for $160
Extended my own O2 harness. FREE
Welded and fabbed everything myself.
Gaskets...$15
Total invested....$550 for a complete catted system.
2 years later and they're still going.
Well then you have to compare the price to a catted ARH setup which is closer to 1700+.

A catted OBX system is 800.

After the extra work to MAYBE straighten out the pipe and picking up 2 O2s and some new clamps you're still saving 700 bucks (800 if they fit right). Not what I consider "in the ballpark"

I'm right with you, only my setup is catless. Total invested for me was 450 for the headers, extensions and straightening out the pipe. 2 years and 30k miles later and good to go

Get notified of new replies

To OBX Headers yes or no....

Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Well then you have to compare the price to a catted ARH setup which is closer to 1700+.

A catted OBX system is 800.

After the extra work to MAYBE straighten out the pipe and picking up 2 O2s and some new clamps you're still saving 700 bucks (800 if they fit right). Not what I consider "in the ballpark"

I'm right with you, only my setup is catless. Total invested for me was 450 for the headers, extensions and straightening out the pipe. 2 years and 30k miles later and good to go
Doesn't it feel good to save more than the next guy and still be just as fast. LOL

I've installed a few of the OBX headers with cats on a few C6s. Each guy paid less than $1000 for everything including installation. They were so happy about saving the $700+ they each had me install other goodies.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
When you add the cost of O2 extensions, high-flow cats, real clamps
The clamps that come with some of these cheapie systems really are pretty bad. Not even so much the clamps themselves but the bolts/washers/nuts can easily snap (the phrase: cheap crap from China comes to mind here) once any sort of force is applied to them while attempting to tighten the clamps down harder.
An easy fix yes but still.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
The clamps that come with some of these cheapie systems really are pretty bad. Not even so much the clamps themselves but the bolts/washers/nuts can easily snap (the phrase: cheap crap from China comes to mind here) once any sort of force is applied to them while attempting to tighten the clamps down harder.
An easy fix yes but still.
I see your point there. That's why I replaced mines with quality pieces. But as you said, an easy fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBX Headers yes or no....