C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech independently tests FAST LSXR LS3 manifold vs two ported LS3 manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM
DavidSK5018
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I just don't see the validity of the argument either way. One side of the coin is you lose power and the other is you pay a huge amount of money for 8hp. Lame either way. Maybe throttle response is better. I don't know, but what I do know is I won't be adding this to my list of things to do, and for that, I appreciate the thread.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

If ANY vendor wants to send me their ported intake I would gladly test it for them FOR FREE as long as I can fit it in to a previously scheduled dyno test.

J,

Sending email now. BER will be submitting our intake for testing immediately. Please DO use our name when you test it EVEN if it does not make any great amount of power. I want true results and I think we will do well. I am sending one our our port/polished TB also. I will need to know if you prefer a brass or aluminum blade 90mm based on yr model. Thanks

Cajun@BER
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidSK5018
I guess I just don't see the validity of the argument either way. One side of the coin is you lose power and the other is you pay a huge amount of money for 8hp. Lame either way. Maybe throttle response is better. I don't know, but what I do know is I won't be adding this to my list of things to do, and for that, I appreciate the thread.
I wouldn't consider a couple hundred bucks a "huge amount of money"
Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I wouldn't consider a couple hundred bucks a "huge amount of money"
It's not a couple hundred, try about $2THOUSAND. That's what it'd cost me to upgrade from my ported stock intake and throttle body. Injectors because I'm at 91% DC now and I'd want the tall injectors Vs. shortys and spacers.

Fast intake, fuel rails, throttle body, porting of intake, injectors, retune. CHA-CHING

Last edited by 6Speeder; 05-12-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

This thread and the testing Katech reported, now begs to ask a new question.

Why would some vendors be selling/promoting ported FAST manifolds?

Wouldn't one expect that an entirely new manifold, created specifically to improve performance, would already be engineered to the limits of perfection. Yet, even the FAST website tells that they made porting easier by using a modular design.

It almost seems that "ported" has become a buzz word to display on the mod sheet, along with the paper HP dyno graph, by the local car show crowd.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Stang's Bane
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I do agree that porting the intake is def a buzz term these days, I will say this on the behalf of fast. They had to make one intake to fit a very wide variety of heads. To allow for porting in their casting allows it to be better matched to the different head port dimensions.
There is almost no one size fits all in induction parts....
Old 05-12-2011, 04:08 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
This thread and the testing Katech reported, now begs to ask a new question.

Why would some vendors be selling/promoting ported FAST manifolds?

Wouldn't one expect that an entirely new manifold, created specifically to improve performance, would already be engineered to the limits of perfection. Yet, even the FAST website tells that they made porting easier by using a modular design.

It almost seems that "ported" has become a buzz word to display on the mod sheet, along with the paper HP dyno graph, by the local car show crowd.
No kidding.

What's the point of a $1000 manifold if it needs to be ported?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:28 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08
No kidding.

My cars ET/MPH is the point of that manifold that needs to be ported

It was a lot slower before it, and a lot faster after it. Can't complain about results.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Even $1800 headers need porting. Lot of weld build up in the collector of all headers I've seen. Each tube is restricted with weld.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the stage 2 ported intake from Formatto on my 08' LS3. I never dynoed it, or had it tuned. But my trap mph increased 1.5-2.0 mph consistently. The stage 2 has the internal bracing removed. FWIW.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by DavidSK5018
A typical H/C package is 6000 bucks for about 100HP. 60 bucks per HP right? OK so if you get 8hp from porting and its 250 for porting, thats $31 per HP....a bargain. An UD pulley is 250 bcusk and gets you 6-8rwhp. Also about 31-40/HP. A FAST as Jason got here is 9rwhp unported and thats 830 bcuks and 92/hp. People get such mods once they exhaust all other means of getting power from the bigger changes. Whats worth it to one guy may not be worth it to another. A cam swap at about 2200-2400 is 60hp or $40/hp.

What interests me is why some credit this test and ignore the vast number of tuners who test and tune ported intakes and include them in pacages once they see and post the results. No one had a vested interest in promoting Cory Harris' intakes and yet all of the dyno results of his intakes were done by independent tuners/dyno's showing a positive. I use him as an example because he didnt do any of his own testing.

I have my chasis dyno here and if anyone wants to come by with a car equiped the way they actually drive it with a real exhaust, stock heads without the intake runners altered (yes this negatively affects results) and the ported intake they bought, I would be happy to dyno it in front of them to see what gains or losses it makes without the bias. Tuners have been testing ported intakes themselves forever. Why would they continue to offer ported intakes that they dont prep themselves if they didnt make power?

If its supposed to be an unbiased test then test it on a stock car on a chasis dyno the way you drive it without ported heads and with a real exhaust. Saying ported intakes dont net you any power on the basis of a mismatched head runner/intake manifold runner without a real exhaust, using two unknown ported intakes is irresponsible at best.

And it doenst take ported heads, cam, or ported anything to net 480rwhp/530flywheel HP. Thats a cam only job for any home DIY wrencher.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 05-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 PM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's great to see at least one vendor stepping up and putting integrity before profit. It is sad that many others are not the same...

Originally Posted by ccajun4real
J,

Sending email now. BER will be submitting our intake for testing immediately. Please DO use our name when you test it EVEN if it does not make any great amount of power. I want true results and I think we will do well. I am sending one our our port/polished TB also. I will need to know if you prefer a brass or aluminum blade 90mm based on yr model. Thanks

Cajun@BER
Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08
No kidding.

The problem in manufacturing is if you made everything as good as it could be you wouldn't be competitive on price. In this case a properly race prepped FAST intake would probably cost them another 200-500, depending on how much time they put into making sure all the shapes and transitions were as nice as they could be.

And so porting will always be around for that reason, it just finishes the part at a point of diminishing return. But in the interest of all out performance you go for every last tenth of a percent you can get
Old 05-13-2011, 04:44 AM
4MuscleMachines
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8850
Even $1800 headers need porting. Lot of weld build up in the collector of all headers I've seen. Each tube is restricted with weld.
Hmm, now that's an idea, ported headers... BRB
Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Are there results for FI situations? I would like to know what could be gained from a ported LSXr intake manifold and 102 TB on my boosted setup
Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sprinter
It's great to see at least one vendor stepping up and putting integrity before profit. It is sad that many others are not the same...
You are kidding right? A vendor is lacking integrity if they dont send Katech an intake for their approval? Maybe 'other vendors' dont see what makes Katech the authority on testing intakes. Ported intakes have been tested time and time again by independent tuners with positive results which includes track results. Keep in mind that Katech already said the two intakes in question made gains on a chasis dyno.........

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
These intakes were shown on the chassis dyno to make power so it just goes to show that the chassis dyno is not a good place to do precise A-B testing, and every tuner that ports manifolds will do what they can to make the product look good when testing.
I dont get it.....because the engine dyno didnt agree with the chasis dyno, the engine dyno is more accurate? It cant be the engine dyno thats wrong? I fail to see how the car being tested on a chasis dyno the way its driven on the street isnt an accurate measurement of power while an engine on an engine dyno with no real exhaust is. A ported head with mismatched runners to the intake is fair and controlled?

And I love the slanderous last statement: Everyone who got a gain lied.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 05-13-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech independently tests FAST LSXR LS3 manifold vs two ported LS3 manifolds

Old 05-13-2011, 06:56 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Are there results for FI situations? I would like to know what could be gained from a ported LSXr intake manifold and 102 TB on my boosted setup
Dallas Performance has done such builds and Mr Big ran a FAST with a P1 ATI and made big power but Katech didnt verify the results.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lots of good stuff in this thread!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
You are kidding right? A vendor is lacking integrity if they dont send Katech an intake for their approval? Maybe 'other vendors' dont see what makes Katech the authority on testing intakes. Ported intakes have been tested time and time again by independent tuners with positive results which includes track results. Keep in mind that Katech already said the two intakes in question made gains on a chasis dyno.........

I dont get it.....because the engine dyno didnt agree with the chasis dyno, the engine dyno is more accurate? It cant be the engine dyno thats wrong? I fail to see how the car being tested on a chasis dyno the way its driven on the street isnt an accurate measurement of power while an engine on an engine dyno with no real exhaust is. A ported head with mismatched runners to the intake is fair and controlled?

And I love the slanderous last statement: Everyone who got a gain lied.

Yes, the engine dyno is the appropriate place to control conditions and properly test components. That is why we do all of our testing for GM Powertrain and GM Racing on the engine dyno and not the chassis dyno.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Quick Reply: Katech independently tests FAST LSXR LS3 manifold vs two ported LS3 manifolds