C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 C6 Brake help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:42 PM
cincykid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 C6 Brake help please

I do not want to nor can I afford a big brake kit, so I want to upgrade my stock rotors and get some powdercoated red stock calipers for my 2006 c6. What kind of rotors (slotted, drilled, or both) should I get for 90% street use with MAYBE an occassional track day (and brand?), as well as what pads and where can I find red powdercoated calipers? I can do an excahnge, but want to buy them first so I can have the car done in 1 day and not wait for the stock ones to get powder coated. Thanks!! Would love to find a one stop shop and just get everything from 1 shop if possible.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Your brakes are excellent for basic HPDE track day use.

The inexpensive solution would be to keep your rotors, they will last a good long time, particularly if you don't do HPDE's very often. I tend to take tools and a set of spares to the track. They're not hard to change.

You can get a duplicolor brush on kit from Walmart for < $20, do it yourself. I did it myself years ago and it looks great and holds up well. There are threads on how to do it but it's pretty self explanatory. No need to take the rotors off.

Get some dedicated track pads for race day - I like Hawk HT-10's. Shop around for them.

Get ceramic pads for street. No dust, stop great, and last forever.

I tried compromise pads, and found the compromise was that they were no good for either - dusting like crazy for street, and fade on the track.

And of course, the most important thing is fresh fluid for race day. I like Motul 600 and speed bleeders.

You'll get more advice in the autocross and road racing section too.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
cincykid
Advanced

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! Guess I will have to regrettfully walk into Walmart for the first time in forever . Need to grow a mullet first and get some cutoff jeans shorts first though.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Brigrewe
3rd Gear

I also got the Duplicolor kit and it works great. One added step for cosmetic purposes is to also buy a small can of high heat white spray paint and a small artists brush. Spray the white paint onto a piece of cardboard until it pools and then use the artists brush to paint the "Corvette" letters on the calipers.

For the brakes themselves I purchases Baer Decellerator pads and rotors. There was a noticeable difference in performance especially brake feel. Mind you that I had one warped stock rotor so i used that as my excuse to replace everything....but....

All in for the brake work and caliper painting was one good afternoon.

Have fun.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Brigrewe
I also got the Duplicolor kit and it works great. One added step for cosmetic purposes is to also buy a small can of high heat white spray paint and a small artists brush. Spray the white paint onto a piece of cardboard until it pools and then use the artists brush to paint the "Corvette" letters on the calipers.

For the brakes themselves I purchases Baer Decellerator pads and rotors. There was a noticeable difference in performance especially brake feel. Mind you that I had one warped stock rotor so i used that as my excuse to replace everything....but....

Have fun.
Good tip! I just scraped my letters with a razor after I painted the calipers.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by cincykid
I do not want to nor can I afford a big brake kit, so I want to upgrade my stock rotors and get some powdercoated red stock calipers for my 2006 c6. What kind of rotors (slotted, drilled, or both) should I get for 90% street use with MAYBE an occassional track day (and brand?), as well as what pads and where can I find red powdercoated calipers? I can do an excahnge, but want to buy them first so I can have the car done in 1 day and not wait for the stock ones to get powder coated. Thanks!! Would love to find a one stop shop and just get everything from 1 shop if possible.
Have you done a track day before?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
TMRoc
Pro

Originally Posted by Brigrewe

Have fun.
Use a stick of "Chap Lip Gloss" (Plan) over the Corvette letters before you paint them and the paint comes right off....

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 C6 Brake help please

Quick Reply: 2006 C6 Brake help please