C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAGS bypass problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 PM
KCJeff
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
Default CAGS bypass problem

I'm familiar with installing the CAGS bypass harness from my C5 vette. Trying to install one on a friend's 2009 Vert. The small plug fits ok, but the harness itself just does not fit into the 2009 housing (which looks different than what I remember from my 2002).

Any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:30 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

There's a reverse lockout solenoid down there as well.

Make sure you're working on the correct solenoid!!

Bob
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Here's a pic of one installed that may help.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That's a great picture Rick T put up!!

You're looking at the driver's/left side of the transmission, and you're looking back and up.

The connector on the bottom is the transmission temp sensor.

The skip shift solenoid is way up top, and you can see that all you do is put the "cap" on there to keep dirt and grime out of the connector when you remove the wiring harness.

The main part of the skip shift bypass is hooked to the wiring harness and has the resistor in it that simulates that it's still hooked up to the solenoid.

There's a nice convenient flange sticking out with a hole in that you can put a tie-wrap through to secure the bypass/wiring harness connector so it won't flap around.

Farther up on top of the transmission is the reverse lockout solenoid, and over on the right side is an eletrical connector attached to a swithch for the backup lights.

So, make sure you're working on the left side of the transmission, and not with the temp selector or reverse lockout connectors.

Bob
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 PM
KCJeff
Burning Brakes

I'm on the right connection. The 2009 I'm working on is slightly different from the picture (has a heat shield around the connection). The plug housing just looks different than others I've seen (harness plug housing is light brown, square-ish). Wondering if there was a change in '09.

Anyone install on an 09?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KCJeff
I'm on the right connection. The 2009 I'm working on is slightly different from the picture (has a heat shield around the connection). The plug housing just looks different than others I've seen (harness plug housing is light brown, square-ish). Wondering if there was a change in '09.

Anyone install on an 09?
I installed the exact same one I removed from my 2005 when I sold it on to my 2009 ZR1.

So.....no difference!!

Bob
Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I installed the unit on my 09 without a problem.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

05-11 are the same. I know you said you are in the right hole but make sure.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
KCJeff
Burning Brakes

Ended up with a faster and much easier solution by just installing a blown SmartGlow fuse in the #10 space on the fuse block. Works like a charm Found this tested method through another thread which directed me here: http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html

Last edited by KCJeff; 04-11-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by KCJeff
I'm familiar with installing the CAGS bypass harness from my C5 vette. Trying to install one on a friend's 2009 Vert. The small plug fits ok, but the harness itself just does not fit into the 2009 housing (which looks different than what I remember from my 2002).

Any suggestions?
Jeff,
I see you got around the fitment issue by using a different method to eliminate the skip shift.
I have your exact same problem with the skip shift eliminator I recently purchased and it has a plastic tab inside the black end that prevents the cars wiring harness from connecting up at all. The white end plugs into the gearbox perfectly. Seems to me the eliminators have been assembled incorrectly or bagged incorrectly. If that is the case there will probably be lots more searching CF for answers.

Have a great day and good luck.

Kneel.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Kneel 8250
Jeff,
I see you got around the fitment issue by using a different method to eliminate the skip shift.
I have your exact same problem with the skip shift eliminator I recently purchased and it has a plastic tab inside the black end that prevents the cars wiring harness from connecting up at all. The white end plugs into the gearbox perfectly. Seems to me the eliminators have been assembled incorrectly or bagged incorrectly. If that is the case there will probably be lots more searching CF for answers.

Have a great day and good luck.

Kneel.
My problem has been resolved thanks to Gene and Patrick at GM Parts House.

Have a great day.

Kneel.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

My problem has been resolved thanks to Gene and Patrick at GM Parts House.

Have a great day.

Kneel.
Can you elaborate so we have a reference for anyone with future problems?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by RicK T
Can you elaborate so we have a reference for anyone with future problems?
Apparently in the manufacturing process the black plastic tab is supposed to be removed at some stage and a few (3 known at present) escaped through with the tab still insitu, possibly only in the last batch manufactured. In my case I chose to carefully remove the tab rather than return the item for one that was correct. Fits perfectly now and works great.
Gene was great to talk to and work with to solve the problem.
Hopefully there were only the 3 that got through the system like this.

Have a great day.

Kneel.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:23 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Apparently in the manufacturing process the black plastic tab is supposed to be removed at some stage and a few (3 known at present) escaped through with the tab still insitu, possibly only in the last batch manufactured. In my case I chose to carefully remove the tab rather than return the item for one that was correct. Fits perfectly now and works great.

Have a great day.

Kneel.

Thank you....good to know.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Have a great day.

Kneel.
Thanks for the PM reply Kneel. I got mine from Gene as well so I will be inspecting mine at home tonight.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by RicK T
Thank you....good to know.
Originally Posted by GOLD72
Thanks for the PM reply Kneel. I got mine from Gene as well so I will be inspecting mine at home tonight.
While I would love to take the credit for sorting out this problem I really have to give the credit to Gene and Patrick. They did most of the hard work and made most of the phone calls. All I really did was highlight I had a problem and was able to describe what I was seeing.

All good now and I am a very happy person. Those skip shifts are just the best thing around the neighbourhood and in traffic.

Have a great day.

Kneel.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Have a great day.

Kneel.
I looked inside the black connector per your PM and didn't see anything obvious in the way of an obstruction between the two electrical prongs that would prevent connection so it looks like I got a good one from Gene.

Get notified of new replies

To CAGS bypass problem

Quick Reply: CAGS bypass problem