C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MGW Shifter Impressions

Hi all,

I just finished the install on a new MGW short-throw shifter for my '07 Z51, and thought I'd provide some feedback for future search efforts.

The install is a piece of cake. The hardest part is disconnecting the 12-volt plug connection, Hazard button, seat heater switches and traction control button (which is optional) when removing the main console section. The installation CD that came with the shifter kit was very helpful, though it didn't include the changes made recently so I was left skipping the pictures / descriptions on that for the printed "read me first" page included with the kit. Still, very easy and lots of effort was made to keep bolts, washers, etc. in separate zip-loc bags for ease of installation.

My initial impression when stroking through gears the very first time was surprise -- it's a lot different than stock (at least on the '07 trannie) -- but after maybe a minute or so, I was absolutely loving it. The feedback is fantastic, the throws are short and precise, and there are no rattles or vibrations at all in my early driving experience. I know my model (ordered in 03/2011) is significantly different than older ones based on the pictures versus what I received, but there's no rattle or noise of any kind.

The only thing I wish was different is the **** height. It's at least as tall as the stocker, and I was hoping for the option to set it a bit lower. Oh well, I still highly recommend this to anyone.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I love mine!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:04 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

i love mine too, bought a cheap **** from pepboys; bored out the center so the stock shift lever goes all the way to the top of the **** (the black center is the shift **** with some black duct tape covering it. repainted the **** and wrapped in leather.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It rattles like a dirty bitch with the stock ****. Do yourself a favor and get the threaded version with there other *****... Other then that, the shifter is top notch!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by breecher_7
It rattles like a dirty bitch with the stock ****. Do yourself a favor and get the threaded version with there other *****... Other then that, the shifter is top notch!
Did it take a while to rattle? What kind of situation caused it?

I've driven mine 4 times since the install staring / listening for any problems, and it's completely quiet. I know the updated shaft is different than the older model (as is the mechanism itself), so I wonder if the new design addressed that.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 AM
odysseus1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '11

Danny , Thank you for the write up, it is the very next item I' m going to install and just no need to procrastinate any longer. Did you change out the the shifter bushings at the same time? Once again , Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by odysseus1
Danny , Thank you for the write up, it is the very next item I' m going to install and just no need to procrastinate any longer. Did you change out the the shifter bushings at the same time? Once again , Thanks
No, I didn't see that people were doing the bushing change while they had it all undone until *after* I finished the install yesterday. Mine weren't falling apart from a casual glance (22k miles on a 2007), but they could have been in bad shape for all I know now. If I ever need the console piece off again, I may take it apart and replace them.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine rattled from day one, you will probably only notice it under moderate to hard acceleration.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

I just flogged it with my ear darn near on the shifter, and am definitely not getting any rattling. Hopefully, it'll stay that way.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The way to find out if it rattles is to get the car into 4th gear and accelerate using wide open throttle from about 75 to 120. Don't lift, the engine has to be working hard to get sufficient vibration in the drive train and you don't want to be too high in the rpm range. If it is going to rattle that is when it will do it. Winging the throttle in nuetral doesn't prove a thing. I have video tapes of the after market shifter in my C5Z rattling so loud you could hear it over the wind and exhaust noise coming in the open windows at those speeds.

Bill
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine still rattles a bit when cold. Once the car is warmed up, rattle is gone. Keep thinking about purchasing the latest design of the upper shaft for use with the stock ****, but have not done it yet. Looks like that might take care of the little bit of rattle issue I have left.

Get notified of new replies

To MGW Shifter Impressions

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Impressions