C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have a clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
CBvette55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a clutch issue?

Ok here is my predicament. I have a 2008 base model with a manual six speed. When I drive the car normal everything works great. When I get on it, first and second gear pull fine. now when I get into third it slips around 5700 - 6200 rpm at WOT. Now, if I slip in third and immediately shift into fourth the RPMs slip immediately. Now the slipping itself is more gradual. The only way I can explain it is it's somewhere in-between banging off the rev limiter and performing as designed. I had the whole system bled at the dealership and it seemed to fix the problem. Now heres the kicker. It only does it sometimes but has happened more or less on and off for the past few days. Any comment or help would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you're clutch is going out. when you go in the higher gears and force the engine to work harder, the clutch slips. you're clutch is the connection between the engine and transmision that transmits the power to the transmission. you need to figure on installing a new one before it lets you down. bleeding the hydraulic system is not going to help you. sorry, hope this helps
Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cranky
you're clutch is going out. when you go in the higher gears and force the engine to work harder, the clutch slips. you're clutch is the connection between the engine and transmision that transmits the power to the transmission. you need to figure on installing a new one before it lets you down. bleeding the hydraulic system is not going to help you. sorry, hope this helps

Elmer
Old 03-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Also agree with cranky.

I got more clamping force by taking the clutch assist spring off, might buy you some time?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
CBvette55
Intermediate

Well should it be going out at fifty thousand miles?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:55 PM
CBvette55
Intermediate

So what are my options?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 PM
hebdog7
Racer

Yes it can go out at 50K mine started acting up around 45K.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM
1FSTVET
Advanced

Originally Posted by CBvette55
So what are my options?
It may also be the 3-4 shift fork! Also try what Neumonic said try removing the clutch assist spring I did that on my c5 and it did help.

Last edited by 1FSTVET; 03-26-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what are my options?
Only option is to replace it soon. Don't want it to completly go out on you. Clutch can go at any time depending on how hard the car was driven.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:26 PM
CBvette55
Intermediate

What I don't understand is why it would only do it at WOT at the top of third and fourth but no where else. I just got back from a drive and I hit it in third and it pulled fine all the way through the rev range. I grabbed fourth and it slipped no matter what I did so I decided to go to fifth. I pushed the clutch down went to fifth got back on the gas and relalized that the clutch pedal never came back up. I pumped the pedal about three times and it came back up. Slowed down and it drove normal. Is this still a sign of a bad clutch or something else. Why would it do it in third and not the top of second?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Your probably past the stage I was at but take the spring out. All the crap I was experiencing was gone after taking out the spring plus after like 50 miles the clutch feel felt very good.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

What I don't understand is why it would only do it at WOT at the top of third and fourth but no where else. I just got back from a drive and I hit it in third and it pulled fine all the way through the rev range. I grabbed fourth and it slipped no matter what I did so I decided to go to fifth. I pushed the clutch down went to fifth got back on the gas and relalized that the clutch pedal never came back up. I pumped the pedal about three times and it came back up. Slowed down and it drove normal. Is this still a sign of a bad clutch or something else. Why would it do it in third and not the top of second?
Strain on the clutch is high at the points you are having issues. The slippage will continue to get worse until the clutch goes. From the sounds of your issues you need to get it to the shop ASAP. You are talking about driving it with it slipping and the clutch petal not returning. Those are serious issues. You could do serious damage to your car. Sounds like you are beating the crap out of it as well. If you know the clutch is having those issues why the h*ll are you driving it that hard. I don't think you need to be redlining the car as is. That is not smart.

Last edited by gunterwalker; 03-26-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM
CBvette55
Intermediate

Where is the clutch assist spring and how do I remove it?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:47 PM
CBvette55
Intermediate

I'm not looking for a moral lesson I'm looking for help. The car drives fine when just putting around town. It's only at WOT that it slips.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

I'm not looking for a moral lesson I'm looking for help. The car drives fine when just putting around town. It's only at WOT that it slips.
I wasn't trying to give you a moral lesson I was trying to keep you from doing some damage by driving it hard. If a clutch is going it will be ok when driving normal but when you let all 400 ponies go it will start to act up. I have no idea what the other poster is talking about with that spring so I can't help you there. I think it is the spring that makes it easier to press the clutch. That would take some of the pressure away from the clutch to the flywheel. Whatever it is good luck with getting it fixed. A simple clutch replacement isn't that bad and you can even upgrade to a better clutch for just a little more.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

The clutch is going bad, This is the symptom of a clutch going bad.

Get a new clutch before it takes a crap and strands your butt someplace where you don't want to be stranded.

No moral lesson being given. It's not the shift fork. It's the friction surface being ALMOST nonexistent.

Get a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and slave.

How many people have to say it before you believe it?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:58 AM
CBvette55
Intermediate

Thanks for the help I just wanted to make sure this was my issue before I drop a bunch of money on a car I just bought. I appreciate all the replies and comments. Looks like a new clutch is in my future. Can anyone suggest a good upgrade over the stock one?

Get notified of new replies

To I think I have a clutch issue?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Not to hijack the thread, but......
Is there any way to inspect the clutch without taking the whole system apart?
I have 54k on my '06 Z and sometimes I think I feel it slipping, not sure if its tire spin though.
Tim
Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by ipmtim
Not to hijack the thread, but......
Is there any way to inspect the clutch without taking the whole system apart?
I have 54k on my '06 Z and sometimes I think I feel it slipping, not sure if its tire spin though.
Tim
After looking at what you have to do to replace it, I doubt if you can inspect it.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Thanks for the help I just wanted to make sure this was my issue before I drop a bunch of money on a car I just bought. I appreciate all the replies and comments. Looks like a new clutch is in my future. Can anyone suggest a good upgrade over the stock one?

I'm going to update to the LS7 clutch when my clutch goes away.

Quick Reply: I think I have a clutch issue?