C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB Legal Custom Spec Cam swap for LS3 vs LS7/LS9 cam and other mods to reach 500RWH

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 PM
hw3__
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CARB Legal Custom Spec Cam swap for LS3 vs LS7/LS9 cam and other mods to reach 500RWH

Hello CF…

In efforts of wanting to try to stay CARB LEGAL (Pass CA Emissions), this is what im working with...

Current Corvette Specs:
2012 GS A6
Corsa Catback

Immediate Future Mods:
ZR1 Manifolds, Cats, MidPipe

Mods Under Research:
LS7 Cam vs LS9 Cam vs Custom Spec Cam
A&A SuperCharger vs More Bolt Ons
Ported Intake
Ported Throttle Body
Thermostat
Cold Air Intake
Custom Tune
(interested in suggestions?)

Since i am new to the modding realm and new to CA, i thought what better place to gain more knowledge/personal input than that from my fellow CF members! (yes i have read countless threads similar to what i am requesting but most seem to, at some point, go on a tangent and not fully address the OP's questions so i wanted to start my own thread for personal reference)

My aim is to hit and/or surpass the 500RWH mark with my GS while it remains my daily driver and doesn't sacrifice much deviation from stock like functionality. (some deviation is ok but nothing drastic i.e. like what i have been reading with cam swaps, the bucking/surging etc.)

Questions:

1) LS7 Cam or LS9 Cam or Custom Spec Cam - Which is a better fit for my A6 GS, please use details to support your suggestion? (since its my DD, looking more so for low->mid power gains and some high power gains if possible) (i do like the lopey sound that can be achieved from a new cam, so if at all possible, i would like to have one with some lope variation)

2) If Custom Spec Cam is the way to go, suggestions of reputable vendors or point of contacts'?

3) Power gains of the LS7, LS9 and Custom Spec Cam (with/without tune)?

4) I have read that the LS7/LS9 cams don't particularly need a tune right away (or at all) unless you want to achieve the max hp gain from them (if i am wrong please correct me), but a custom spec cam will require immediate tuning?

5) If i were to get a ported throttle body and/or ported intake, do these require a tune or are they ok without a tune?

6) If a ported throttle body and/or ported intake are beneficial, suggestions of reputable vendors or point of contacts'?

7) Power gains of the ported throttle body and ported intake (with/without tune where applicable)?

8) Is a new thermostat needed or a beneficial mod?

9) Is a new CAI beneficial mod on a GS because i have read mixed reviews stating stock works at max capacity?

Last edited by hw3__; 12-30-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Any new Cam will certainly require a tune... Most tuners insist on 160 stat... To get the most benefits from a CAI are after a tune as well...same for the ported throttle body.. All of these mods affect the air fuel ratios, etc.... catching my drift here??

Cam specs... dig in with the search function. There are MANY threads on LS2/LS3 cams on here and many opinions, results with Dyno numbers, etc... I've been researching this subject for a few months now. Almost too much info!...

Have fun!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

I have failed smog just for having under drive pulleys on a car that didn't have an air pump. So It depends on who is doing the smog check.

Maybe things have changed, but I believe there are no carb OE certified CAI for the Vette. If 500rwhp is your goal, a smog legal supercharger is the easiest way to do that and not worry about passing smog.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

You'll need long tube headers and a pretty gnarly cam to hit 500 rwhp without boost. I don't think a big cam could be overlooked at inspection time. Long tube headers are pretty obvious too.

A CARB approved supercharger system is the way to go. Then "sneak" in an LS7 cam and Z06 exhaust system and you'll have a pretty fine street ride
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM
hw3__
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys… still doing research! Keep the info coming
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The CAI will not meet CARB standards for one thing.

I suggested you talk with Rick at Synergy. In a PM I already advised that he can help you with your decision concerning the manifolds.

F/I would get you there easily and be CARB compliant but run 7-9 grand depending on which system, It will decrease the longevity of the engine and powertrain parts. It could also, more than ,likely led to more $$ spending for repairs. Now some will argue this isn't always so but you need to go in with some back up funds just in case.

A small cam and tune with the ZR-1 manifolds should get you to 450-460 rwhp and still pass CARB. This is Z06 power easily. The powertrain should hold up nicely too. Possible valve train work will most likely be needed at 25,000 miles, depending on the cam etc.

Rick can answer all your questions, you are not the first. He knows his trade.

Good luck

By the way for a DD car just where do you expect to use 500 rwhp anyway? think about it.

I went with 4:10's in the rear and love this mod. Lots of fun with the manual. I know you have a auto.

Last edited by Boomer111; 01-03-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CARB Legal Custom Spec Cam swap for LS3 vs LS7/LS9 cam and other mods to reach 500RWH

Quick Reply: CARB Legal Custom Spec Cam swap for LS3 vs LS7/LS9 cam and other mods to reach 500RWH