C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam install issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Narshadda
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam install issues

Anyone else have this problem???

The Mass Air won't make it over the radiator - any help is appreciated.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Mine install is real tight, actually shows wear on the hood felt, but it does clear the radiator shroud. Not sure what to advise.

I know it is not the most user friendly system...but I still run mine!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Narshadda
Instructor

I ended up using the factory flex tubing that goes on the TB to get it over. Most of the photos I saw had that on. I need to cap the breather tube (not sure if that's what it's called). Then I am done. Tstat is done as well. That was a bit messy but she'll be ready to go this afternoon.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Interesting, I did not need the OEM part or have I heard if it being used. Tune would pull it all together.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:19 PM
rixvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Narshadda
Anyone else have this problem???

The Mass Air won't make it over the radiator - any help is appreciated.

I am considering a unit for my 2005. I was not aware of this install issue. What year is your car. I also do not like having a tube rub on my hood. Any update??
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rixvette
I am considering a unit for my 2005. I was not aware of this install issue. What year is your car. I also do not like having a tube rub on my hood. Any update??
You won't run into this issue with a 2005, at least I didn't. It's a different MAF setup and a different Vararam unit.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:12 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

Is the MAF section bigger than the stock one?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:39 PM
rixvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Paratrooper307
You won't run into this issue with a 2005, at least I didn't. It's a different MAF setup and a different Vararam unit.
Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I ended up using the factory flex tubing that goes on the TB to get it over. Most of the photos I saw had that on. I need to cap the breather tube (not sure if that's what it's called). Then I am done. Tstat is done as well. That was a bit messy but she'll be ready to go this afternoon.

Glad to see you got it installed, Enrique. I don't remember having any clearance issues on my car in that area, and I had the upper section on and off a few times. I kinda remember seeing my upper radiator cover trimmed in that area for clearance. The intake was on my car when I bought it, so I have no knowledge of the original install.

I'll go look at my car and let you know what I find.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Narshadda
Instructor

No sweat it went on better after a good night's sleep. I had issues with the T-Stat, granted I had never done that before and I didn't "burp" the system so I ran out of coolant when I took it around the block. I ended up burping it after I got back home and it ran fine.

I was on the side of the road when a neighbor offered to pick me and my 6 year old up so I could get some coolant at home. When he passed by I was putting on the top but never clamped it down, the next test drive... The top flew off at 30mph. Its in pieces now. Really stupid and expensive mistake. Luckily a buddy of mine has a used one at the dealer that I am getting for a good price but there goes my tuning money...

Here are some pics of the install:

Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 PM
STROKD
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So u had to use the stock piece at the throttle body to make it all line up?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Narshadda
Instructor

Yep, there was no way it was fitting.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

Yep, there was no way it was fitting.
Thats why I was wondering if the MAF section is bigger now, and if so why did they make it bigger? And if it is bigger then is it causing a lean condition (giving it some gains) and will need a tune?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
KP08
Advanced

Just looking at it you might have your tubes in the wrong spot. Have you tried reversing their position so the longer one that you have now riding on the structure is instead supporting the MAF ?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:52 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, no, no......you have to cut the smooth coupling at an angle at the TB. Then, it'll fit perfectly, that's it!! See below as I've done it and it works!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

No sweat it went on better after a good night's sleep. I had issues with the T-Stat, granted I had never done that before and I didn't "burp" the system so I ran out of coolant when I took it around the block. I ended up burping it after I got back home and it ran fine.

I was on the side of the road when a neighbor offered to pick me and my 6 year old up so I could get some coolant at home. When he passed by I was putting on the top but never clamped it down, the next test drive... The top flew off at 30mph. Its in pieces now. Really stupid and expensive mistake. Luckily a buddy of mine has a used one at the dealer that I am getting for a good price but there goes my tuning money...

Here are some pics of the install:

Bummer on the Top! When I was driving Transfer truck ( many things to do at unloading having to do with unhooking, dropping trailer and rolling trailer box into truck box, locking down things, etc ) I was taught always to finish hooking or unhooking before letting oneself be interrupted. If one was stopped in middle of procedure go back and start over from beginning. Usually if approached by someone on the job site I would continue my work until things were secure. You my friend violated our Cardinal rule. Sorry to say now you know how important this rule is.

Glad your able to come up with a replacement.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

This is why I sold mine

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam install issues

Old 12-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Fuego
Burning Brakes

Start over with install. The longer tube needs to be cut sarting at the edge on top and cutting back at about a 30 degree angle to make it fit properly. Did you buy it used? the reason I ask is because Patrick (owner of VR) has been including the PRE CUT tubing for over 3 YEARS now. Seriously, when i got my 08 new in july of 07 i bought a VR 3 months later from Patrick in Houston at their shop. All of the units that were boxed came with the precut tube.You must have gotten ahold of some old stock. If you did, you might also have the old design VR that loses its shape. Call VR they will help you get what you need. Probably free. I did when the first one I had warped some. The next day I received the newer version. OBSESSED you should have asked for help when you sent your VR back. I would have helped you. If you need pics I'll try to upload some.
By the way, the VR works great and fits like a glove when installed properly.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 PM
mr. creosote
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, it needs to have a diagonal cut to fit properly.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Narshadda
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fuego
Start over with install. The longer tube needs to be cut sarting at the edge on top and cutting back at about a 30 degree angle to make it fit properly. Did you buy it used? the reason I ask is because Patrick (owner of VR) has been including the PRE CUT tubing for over 3 YEARS now. Seriously, when i got my 08 new in july of 07 i bought a VR 3 months later from Patrick in Houston at their shop. All of the units that were boxed came with the precut tube.You must have gotten ahold of some old stock. If you did, you might also have the old design VR that loses its shape. Call VR they will help you get what you need. Probably free. I did when the first one I had warped some. The next day I received the newer version. OBSESSED you should have asked for help when you sent your VR back. I would have helped you. If you need pics I'll try to upload some.
By the way, the VR works great and fits like a glove when installed properly.
Fuego, I did buy it used. Which longer tube are you talking about? I am really curious about what you are saying. The fit on the unit is tight and not at all bad anymore. But I'd rather do it right rather than "rigging" it.

Thanks,

Enrique

Quick Reply: Vararam install issues