C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for bolt-on mod suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
elitebomberX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for bolt-on mod suggestions

I have a 2007...so far I've installed the Vararam intake, 1 3/4" long tube headers, high-flo cats, x-pipe, and Borla mufflers.

Before I installed the Vararam intake, I put down 378rwhp on the dyno. I am guessing the intake put me around 385.

I am looking for some suggestions for bolt-ons. I plan on going with an aftermarket cam in the future, but for the meantime I am looking for another 15-20 hp.

I am leaning towards a 102mm throttle body and FAST intake, but am not sure how much of a difference it would make on my current set up.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by elitebomberX
I have a 2007...so far I've installed the Vararam intake, 1 3/4" long tube headers, high-flo cats, x-pipe, and Borla mufflers.

Before I installed the Vararam intake, I put down 378rwhp on the dyno. I am guessing the intake put me around 385.

I am looking for some suggestions for bolt-ons. I plan on going with an aftermarket cam in the future, but for the meantime I am looking for another 15-20 hp.

I am leaning towards a 102mm throttle body and FAST intake, but am not sure how much of a difference it would make on my current set up.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Tune?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
elitebomberX
Racer

Originally Posted by S'vette
Tune?
I'm avoiding a tune for the time being. The dealership I go to will do factory warranty work on my car even with the bolt-on mods. They can't get the warranty work approved if I get a tune.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by elitebomberX
I'm avoiding a tune for the time being. The dealership I go to will do factory warranty work on my car even with the bolt-on mods. They can't get the warranty work approved if I get a tune.
Unless they hook it up and check everytime (which I doubt) they wont know.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 PM
elitebomberX
Racer

Originally Posted by S'vette
Unless they hook it up and check everytime (which I doubt) they wont know.
They do check. In order for the dealership to get approved to do warranty work they have to send in a hash snapshot (I think 8 digits) of the programming on the car. They send that in to GM and GM can detect after market programming.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Sir, maybe a ported throttle body and an ATI super harmonic damper. I do not think that you will need a tune for these upgrades. Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Also, there is a guy on here and I think his user name is Spin ??? I have heard good things about his FAST ported intakes so check the search feature.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 PM
elitebomberX
Racer

Originally Posted by Gering
Also, there is a guy on here and I think his user name is Spin ??? I have heard good things about his FAST ported intakes so check the search feature.
Hey thanks for the suggestion. I've been researching the 102mm FAST throttle body and ported intake manifold. I can't really find good numbers though (supported by dyno sheets before and after) from someone with a similar set up to mine. Seems most of the people who have done the throttle body and FAST intake combo also have a cam upgrade.

I'm also looking into a better MAF sensor. I found the Granatelli MAF Sensor which claims to add up to 15hp from increased air flow.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ok so you bolt on a full exhaust and put an high flowing intake and expect the car to run properly/safely? Your doing more harm to your car than if you just get a tune. I never understand why people do this. If your worried about breaking your tranny or rear end or anything for that matter you should never go WOT. You have to pay to play man.

I will say thats cool that you have a shop to do that but, what is the point of modding if you don't get the full potential of your mods...your getting 50% of the performance for the same price lol.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 PM
elitebomberX
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
ok so you bolt on a full exhaust and put an high flowing intake and expect the car to run properly/safely? Your doing more harm to your car than if you just get a tune. I never understand why people do this. If your worried about breaking your tranny or rear end or anything for that matter you should never go WOT. You have to pay to play man.

I will say thats cool that you have a shop to do that but, what is the point of modding if you don't get the full potential of your mods...your getting 50% of the performance for the same price lol.

Even with a motor replacement, all they have to do is send in the snapshot of the ECM/PCM. No GM rep comes to inspect the engine.

I wouldn't expect a tune to be that critical for something as trivial as more air coming into the throttle body. The stock programming can detect the increased air flow and adjust accordingly. Will you be getting the full 100% benefit as you would from a tune? No, probably not, but it's not going to be anywhere near as low as 50% as you mentioned.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

^^^Thats cool man if thats how you feel its all good with me.

To answer your question...

I think the best mod I did on my 04 cobra and on my GS has been an MGW shifter. It will make up for 10-20hp with how much faster you can shift....maybe not if your ranger but for most.

Secondly, I would say a ported throttle body would be a good choice. It's not extensive and no one can tell you changed it.

let us know what you choose and what your dyno numbers are.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:28 PM
elitebomberX
Racer

^^^Thats cool man if thats how you feel its all good with me.

To answer your question...

I think the best mod I did on my 04 cobra and on my GS has been an MGW shifter. It will make up for 10-20hp with how much faster you can shift....maybe not if your ranger but for most.

Secondly, I would say a ported throttle body would be a good choice. It's not extensive and no one can tell you changed it.

let us know what you choose and what your dyno numbers are.
Believe me, I want to tune the crap out of it and get as much power as possible. All in good time. I had a tune previously, and my motor blew (threw a rod) and I ended up having to pay $9800 out of my pocket for the new motor, intake manifold, labor and taxes all because of the after market tune.

I'm going with simple bolt on mods for now with no tune, until I can afford another high performance 2-door American sports car. Once I have another car (that isn't the crappy 2 door hatchback I rely on now when the Corvette is under maintenance), then I am going to go all out on my Corvette.

Priorities!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gears would probably be a good choice if you want to keep the stock tune in it. They will make a much bigger difference than in how it goes than another 15-20hp will.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 AM
elitebomberX
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim_H
Gears would probably be a good choice if you want to keep the stock tune in it. They will make a much bigger difference than in how it goes than another 15-20hp will.
Yea, you're probably right. I'm leaning more towards different gears or a short throw.

I want to get the ported intake manifold and throttle body, but from what I've read, it's a waste of money (hp gain vs $$) unless you have a more aggressive CAM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 AM
KP08
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you have to reprogram your ECM if you do gears to correct the speedo ?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:55 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

you could just have someone pace you and write down the speed on a sheet of paper in 5mph intervals then stick it on your pillar....hahahhaha
Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 AM
elitebomberX
Racer

you could just have someone pace you and write down the speed on a sheet of paper in 5mph intervals then stick it on your pillar....hahahhaha
This is clearly the best option haha.

I think he's right though. I ordered the MGW short throw shifter. After browsing a bunch of threads it seems to be a good bang for the buck.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for bolt-on mod suggestions

Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KP08
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you have to reprogram your ECM if you do gears to correct the speedo ?
No, the speed is measured at the axle not in the transmission. The speedo is fine, you would only need to change it for different height tires.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't do anymore mods that modify the airflow until you're ready to tune the car.

I would do gears if you have a manual and a converter if you're an auto.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Wow I didnt know they check everytime, most car companies dont and even dont mind. Ive modded and tuned my last three cars (2 Audis and a nissan) and they knew what I had done and still did the warranty work. But my next question is, do the tunes for the vette come with a device so you can put it back to stock tune when taking it in?

Quick Reply: Looking for bolt-on mod suggestions