C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner - Mod itch.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Narshadda
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Mod itch.

Hey all,

I traded in my heavily modded 2008 Mustang GT for the C6. I'd like to get the Vette as responisive as the Mustang since that monster of a motor is loaded with potential.
I figured I'd start with a Vararam Intake since there have been so many good reviews out there.
Would anyone recommend the 160 degree thermostats for performance? Or should I just wait and go for long tubes and the exhaust?
I know tuning is going to help the throttle response and shifts but I'd like to have a few goodies on her prior to tuning.

Thanks,

Narsh
Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

No on thermo...
Yes, strong yes, on long tubes.

You did not mention if you got a Z51....if not add sway bars.
Lowering on stock bolts along with a chassis tunnel plate...all good mods.

Lasty, a good brake fluid with a complete flush and bleed is another great first thing to do.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Narshadda
Instructor

Thanks Kenny,

Its not a Z51 so the sways with the stock bolt lowering would be a goot place to start as well.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:27 AM
ITS STOCK
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My first mods were vararam, longtubes, 160 stat, and tune. With that the car went 11.66 at almost 119mph on drag radials.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Narshadda
Instructor

ITS STock, that is impressive! Would you say the 160 stat did anything? I've heard conflicting arguments.
One side is that it will cool the car down quicker - more timing/more power etc..

Others say that they are running find with the stock thermostat.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Narshadda
ITS STock, that is impressive! Would you say the 160 stat did anything? I've heard conflicting arguments.
One side is that it will cool the car down quicker - more timing/more power etc..

Others say that they are running find with the stock thermostat.

From a performance stand point, I don't think you can go wrong with a 160 t-stat. It is not going to add any power, but will work in conjunction with a good tune to keep maximum timing and engine performance. It is also cheap and easy, so why not? You will get some guys blabbing about how it being run cooler causes moisture in the oil, faster engine wear etc. I don't buy into that and change my oil frequently, anyways.

What year is your C6? I have a Vararam sitting in the garage that I've been meaning to sell if you are interested. It was on the car for maybe 5K miles. It is for an LS3, though.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Narshadda
Instructor

I was thinking the same thing about the thermostat, but I like to get as much input as I can. My C6 is an 08 LS3. I sent you a PM about the Vararam.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:52 PM
KP08
Advanced

I have a Vararam with the throttle body spacer, AR long tubes with Corsa X pipe and sports. TJ Wong did my tune and I have been wondering why I didn't do the T-stat at the same time. Then I remembered, while many of the tuners add the t-stat as part of packages, I haven't seen any hard data that says a engine will make more power with one.

I agree with StreetK14 that it probably doesn't "add anything", but may allow for a little more consistant running without timing being pulled out of the tune.

I will probably change it on my next round of mods, but I would like to see some data beforehand.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:34 AM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Depending on your budget and skill (or willingness), I'd pop a nice cam in that bad boy.

NOTHING woke up my LS3 like a cam did....well, that is 'til the blower went on.

If I were to do it all again, I'd start with headers/exhaust first, then port the intake/TB...I wasted my $$$ on a CAI that was installed for all of 3 days before I decided to throw a supercharger in the mix.
The 160 stat isn't really necessary at the initial bolt-on level imho. Just a bit of cheap insurance really.

Really though, all depends on your budget.
CAI, headers, porting, and a stat are pretty much the standard issue for starting performance mods.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Narshadda
Instructor

Thanks again for the advice folks.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:40 AM
ITS STOCK
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no issues with the stat no check engine lights nothing. The ecu will start pulling timing when coolant and IAT temps start climbing so the stat helps keep that in check and get full potential out of the car. I do recommend letting the car fully warm up before playing with the car whether it be the stock or aftermarket stat.

Get notified of new replies

To New Owner - Mod itch.

Quick Reply: New Owner - Mod itch.