C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't it ever be easy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Why can't it ever be easy?

Got my RSD line lock kit installed today, and I give the kit a 8.5/10 The 2 biggest problems I had were that I needed to elongate the holes in the mounting bracket by about 1/4in each, and the wires coming out of the momentary button seem kind of loosely attached (I used a few peices of shrink wrap to secure them better). Other than that, the install was VERY easy. They give you way more than enough wire, the butt connectors are preinstalled and they even include a small peice of conduit to cover the underhood wiring. In all honesty, all you need to install this kit are the tools, brake fluid and a tie strap or 2.

Now for the confusing part.....

While testing the install, I found that no matter what mode I have the ABS/TC/AH in, the instant I start the burnout, the DIC lights up with Service ABS, Service Traction and Service Active Handling. The TC light in the cluster also lights up, as does the ABS light. And I know that with all that going on, those systems are disabled. If I shut the car down and restart it, everythings all good, untill I try to do another burnout. Is there an easy fix to this, or is it something I need to go see Doug about?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordracer9
Now for the confusing part.....

While testing the install, I found that no matter what mode I have the ABS/TC/AH in...
ABS is always on. And I can certainly see why a line lock would confuse the hell out of the ABS system.

The TC/AH features use the same ABS hardware. It's very likely when the ABS detects a fault in the wheel speed readings, it prints warnings for TC and AH as well, whether they're disabled or not.

People using these things must somehow have had the ABS "tuned" out.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sure the main issue is that the ABS module is seeing brake pressure even though you are not pressing the pedal. This confuses the system and probably causes the ABS and possibly traction control and Active handling to shut off. At least that is my guess.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Pm Steve@RSD....he'll get your issues sorted out. I've been running this line-loc of 2 years and Steve has been nothing but a great source.

To be honest, you should have contacted him before makomg this post
Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Originally Posted by tlove32
Pm Steve@RSD....he'll get your issues sorted out. I've been running this line-loc of 2 years and Steve has been nothing but a great source.

To be honest, you should have contacted him before makomg this post
I'll try to shoot him a PM, but why should I have contacted him before making this post? His product works flawlessly in it's intended application. It's the car that's having issues, and he doesn't even know the specifics of the car. I just wanted to see if any other guys running a line lock (from any source) are having/have had simmilar issues.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:42 AM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

It has been my experience that the vendor usually knows all the issues regarding thier products. By contacting Steve, he probably could have pointed you in the right direction.

I hope you get it resolved
Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Fordracer9
Pro

Using that logic, I should just go straight to B&M, 'cause it's their solenoid that's in the kit. But I seriously doubt they'd have a clue about my problem. Like I said, I have a PM into Steve, but I'd like to hear from other line lock owners to see if this is common or not, and how to resolve it. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS AN ISSUE WITH THE PARTS I'VE RECEIVED. I think it's more like the patient trying to reject it's newest transplant.

Last edited by Fordracer9; 11-07-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

As a data point for you, I, and several of my friends with c6's, have had line locks for years but I've never seen any ABS or service traction control system messages.

I can't imagine it's anything you did wrong on the install. What fuse did you use to power the line lock?

I wonder if its something new with the 10's system? Would love to see a '10 car with a line lock chime in.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Recently, another guy was asking about this exact same thing and I suggested hhe dealer maybe able to sort out his ABS problems, however now I am leaning with JoeG, perhaps something in the 2010 models have change in the ABS systems. I have not personally installed a Line Loc on a 2010 yet.
I will subscribe to this and hope to see what finally cures it.
Steve
Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

GM changed from Delphi to Bosch ABS.

Could this be the issue?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Fordracer9
Pro

Joe/Steve, that's about what I was leaning towards. It's gotta be something GM changed. As for the power pick up for the line lock, I tapped righ into the lighter, as suggested by the instructions from RSD.

Maybe it's time to give the guys at ECS a ring and see if they've come across this yet.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I'm sure the main issue is that the ABS module is seeing brake pressure even though you are not pressing the pedal. This confuses the system and probably causes the ABS and possibly traction control and Active handling to shut off. At least that is my guess.
See my response above. This is how the German cars I deal with have worked for years. It will cause a "brake pressure plausibility" fault in the ABS/Stability control module. I'm guessing the new hardware GM is using is more sensitive to this.

Andy

Last edited by Streetk14; 11-07-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Fordracer9
Pro

Yes, that's what's happening, but the question is why? It's not a common thing, and from Steve's post, it seems to be a 2010+ thing. There are thousands of C5/6s out there with line locks on them, and none of them have a problem like this. So what's different about the newer cars where it just flat out rejects these things?

German car= Bosh. It was mentioned that GM swapped to Bosh. That's gotta be it. I wonder if there's a way to tune around this. I know I've seen Benzez, Porshes, BMWs etc do burnouts.

Last edited by Fordracer9; 11-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Fordracer9
Pro

See my response above. This is how the German cars I deal with have worked for years. It will cause a "brake pressure plausibility" fault in the ABS/Stability control module. I'm guessing the new hardware GM is using is more sensitive to this.

Andy
Working off of this theory, where is the line pressure switch for the ABS module? If I were to disable (unplug) it, would it disable the system, or lightup the dash? 'Cause if that works, I'd need to figure a way to open that circuit whenever the line lock were activated, and that would fix the problem.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Working off of this theory, where is the line pressure switch for the ABS module? If I were to disable (unplug) it, would it disable the system, or lightup the dash? 'Cause if that works, I'd need to figure a way to open that circuit whenever the line lock were activated, and that would fix the problem.
If that is all it takes, use a relay and send a tap off the power lead after the line loc switch and send it to the relay coil. Depending on what the ABS wants to see from that sensor, you may want a normally closed or normally open contacts on the relay.
I would be surprised if the ABS would be happy without a signal from that pressure switch, but worth a try.

Steve

Last edited by Steve@RSD; 11-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

I'm thinking you would be better off doing something with the brake light switch instead. Assuming the brake pressure sensor is external (not built into the valve block), it will still likely shut down the system and throw all kinds of warnings if you by-pass it.

I think you might just need to activate the brake lights while you are doing your burnout. What happens if you push the brake pedal down just enough to activate the lights while doing your line-lock burnout? If my theory is correct, everything should be fine because the modules are seeing you pushing the brake pedal which corresponds to the pressure reading.

Unless the car has a way to detect front and rear brake system pressure (IE. 2 sensors), which is possible. I seem to remember some of the BMWs having 2 pressure sensors built into the master cylinder. The new GM Bosch system may be very similar to what BMW uses.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

I'm thinking you would be better off doing something with the brake light switch instead. Assuming the brake pressure sensor is external (not built into the valve block), it will still likely shut down the system and throw all kinds of warnings if you by-pass it.

I think you might just need to activate the brake lights while you are doing your burnout. What happens if you push the brake pedal down just enough to activate the lights while doing your line-lock burnout? If my theory is correct, everything should be fine because the modules are seeing you pushing the brake pedal which corresponds to the pressure reading.

Unless the car has a way to detect front and rear brake system pressure (IE. 2 sensors), which is possible. I seem to remember some of the BMWs having 2 pressure sensors built into the master cylinder. The new GM Bosch system may be very similar to what BMW uses.
I'll test this in the AM. Easy enough test to do. If slight pressure on the pedal cures the problem, I'll go to the next logical test of running a 12v line from the line lock ckt to the output side of the brake light switch ckt. Maybe all it needs to see is voltage there.

If neither of those work, I'll start checking for pressure sensor ckts at the ABS module. Hopefully the sensor is external.

The only sensor on the master is for the brake fluid level.

If it comes down to none of this working, the last resort may be running 2 line locks after the module. They would hold the pressure to the calipers without the module seeing a difference.

Last edited by Fordracer9; 11-07-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why can't it ever be easy?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

It was FAR from Vette weather today, so there was no testing done. I'll see what I can get done Tuesday, but I do have an appointment with ECS for Wed morning. I'll let everybody know what I find out.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Same thing happens sometimes when you dyno these cars. The rear wheels are moving, but the fronts are not, and the ABS and TC (which should be off) starts to say WTF.

Once off the dyno, and the front wheels get some rotations on them, the computer goes back to happy land.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Same thing happens sometimes when you dyno these cars. The rear wheels are moving, but the fronts are not, and the ABS and TC (which should be off) starts to say WTF.

Once off the dyno, and the front wheels get some rotations on them, the computer goes back to happy land.
Tried driving out of a burnout, as well as coming to a complete stop and then coming up to speed, but the systems stayed shut down.

Quick Reply: Why can't it ever be easy?