C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:02 PM
ralteredstates
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS confusion

I know this subject has been discussed to death but I can not for the life of me get a complete understanding of what to do for my 2010 C6. Even the instruction manual for the car tells me to go to the dealer (fat chance). My question: I have installed a winter set of wheels/tires with a new set of TPM's and now have to program the car/wheels. Some posts here and around the internet say a program tool is needed and some posts say that all that is needed is to change the tire pressure to do it. Just for clarity, does anyone know the precise instructions to program a new set of TPM's for a 2010 Vette and if I need the reset tool or not?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by ralteredstates
I know this subject has been discussed to death but I can not for the life of me get a complete understanding of what to do for my 2010 C6. Even the instruction manual for the car tells me to go to the dealer (fat chance). My question: I have installed a winter set of wheels/tires with a new set of TPM's and now have to program the car/wheels. Some posts here and around the internet say a program tool is needed and some posts say that all that is needed is to change the tire pressure to do it. Just for clarity, does anyone know the precise instructions to program a new set of TPM's for a 2010 Vette and if I need the reset tool or not?
You DO NOT need a tool for your 2010 sensors!!!

However, you say you have another set of wheels/tires/sensors - I hope you got the proper sensors for a 2010!!!

The 2005-2009 used one GM Part#, and the 2010+ uses a sensor with a different Part#, and the 2 are not compatible - you must have the proper Part# for your model year.

Did you see the sensors before they were installed? If you did they should have been green in color (assuming you got OEM sensors) for your 2010 C6. They should be GM Part# 15268606.

The 2005-2009 used a different Part# and was gray - so if the new sensors you got were not green they won't work in your car.

As far as doing the relearn procedure after putting on your new wheels/tires/sensors, take a look at this thread - scroll down to Post# 15 to see where GSRANDY discusses the procedure when he did it to confirm that the change in air pressure method worked on his 2010 C6:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-question.html

Good luck, and if you have any problems doing the relearn procedure let us know!

Bob
The following users liked this post:
FLC6GS (08-01-2020)
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 PM
ralteredstates
Intermediate

Thanks for the info! Before I knew the "mess" I was getting myself into, I purchased a set of ORO-TEK TPMS SENSORS OSC-0158 which are supposed to be exact replacement for the 2010 Vette (not previous years as far as the ad stated). I hope they will respond to the pressure drop/calibration for my car. There's a lot of misinformation on the web on this subject and the car instruction manual has absolutely nothing about reprograming (except "see dealer")
Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've never worked with the ORO-TEK sensors, but that is the correct part# that corresponds to the GM Part# 15268606 for your car.

I'm pretty sure that they are probably made to work just like the OE sensors, so they should respond to the air pressure method.

1. Ignition to ACC mode (push bottom of ignition button and get the yellow light illuminated.

2. Simultaneously push and hold the "lock" and "unlock" buttons until you get a honk of the horn - you may need to have the fob in the cockpit to get the honk confirming you're in the "learn mode".

3. Start at the Left Front and increase or decrease the pressure in the tire for 8 to 10 seconds until you get a honk of the horn - probably much easier to let air out. If it doesn't honk, then the sensor didn't transmit or the TPMS didn't receive the signal and log the sensor's data into memory properly.

4. You have to do the LF within about one minute of putting the car into the learn mode or the learn mode will time out. Continue with the RF, RR, and LR in that order, and make sure you get a honk at each sensor (double honk at the LR confirming the procedure is complete), then turn off the ignition and you're done.

5. Reset your tire pressures in all tires.

Give it a try and let us know if the ORO-TEK sensors work like the OE ones do!!

Bob
The following users liked this post:
FLC6GS (08-01-2020)
Old 10-30-2010, 09:24 PM
ralteredstates
Intermediate

Outstanding I will try the program tomorrow and will post the results. Thanks for the help. BTW, had the car 2 months and LOVE it. Just put a Borla cat-back on it last night (not S type) when I changed the wheels/tires and now I don't want the radio on!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:53 PM
ralteredstates
Intermediate

The programming worked 1st time. It took all of 3 minutes max. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ralteredstates
The programming worked 1st time. It took all of 3 minutes max. Thanks for the help.
EXCELLENT!!!

Thanks for the report, once again confirming the "air pressure change" method works for a 2010/2011 C6!!

Bob
Old 07-31-2020, 06:04 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

would sure like to see photos of your car we have been searching for a tasco 59 we owned from Staten island for NY years I also did a restoration long ago and al knock supplied the tasco top
Old 10-15-2020, 05:06 PM
JSracing
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
You DO NOT need a tool for your 2010 sensors!!!

However, you say you have another set of wheels/tires/sensors - I hope you got the proper sensors for a 2010!!!

The 2005-2009 used one GM Part#, and the 2010+ uses a sensor with a different Part#, and the 2 are not compatible - you must have the proper Part# for your model year.

Did you see the sensors before they were installed? If you did they should have been green in color (assuming you got OEM sensors) for your 2010 C6. They should be GM Part# 15268606.

The 2005-2009 used a different Part# and was gray - so if the new sensors you got were not green they won't work in your car.

As far as doing the relearn procedure after putting on your new wheels/tires/sensors, take a look at this thread - scroll down to Post# 15 to see where GSRANDY discusses the procedure when he did it to confirm that the change in air pressure method worked on his 2010 C6:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-question.html

Good luck, and if you have any problems doing the relearn procedure let us know!

Bob
thank you! NOW I know why the 2015 C7 wheels with TPMS sensors wont work no matter what I do on my 2009. I dont suppose there is a way to upgrade? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS confusion

Quick Reply: TPMS confusion