C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW shifter question. PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:21 AM
mannyg
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGW shifter question. PLEASE HELP!!

I just installed a new MGW shifter and took the car for a drive. There's a 1 to 1.5 inch play in the shifter when in neutral and when in gear, any gear. I know MGW builds their shifters so they perform better when the transmission is at operating temp but the amount of play left to right, even after a one hour drive, never got smaller. The play is only side to side, not front to back. If this is how MGW shifters are supposed to work, I hate it.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 AM
lemans
Pro

That's not how they are supposed to work, I have zero play in mine when in gear. Contact George at MGW, he'll get you squared.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Make SURE that the four fasteners that secure the shifter to the shift box are the correct bolts (you can NOT use the OEM bolts. There too short) and the shifter is properly secured to the shifter box. The ones that are supplied by the shifter manufacture should be LONGER!

There are TWO large fasteners that secure the BOX to the torque tube. Look at mine and you will see that the bushings under the screws are METAL. If you have a NON ZO6 those bushings will be RUBBER. If there damaged,rotten, the box will be loose on the torque tube.

BC
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill - Great information, Thanks!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

other then the rattling, i love mine, the rattling sucks... One thing that concerned me is that there was no telling wich direction the shifter was to be installed on the box. Does it matter? You can flip it 180 degrees and it bolts on in either direction.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
other then the rattling, i love mine, the rattling sucks... One thing that concerned me is that there was no telling wich direction the shifter was to be installed on the box. Does it matter? You can flip it 180 degrees and it bolts on in either direction.
i spoke to george about that. he said it doesn't matter which way its installed. it's symetrical.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:30 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

thats what I figured, good to know for sure. Now to just figure somthing out about the damn rattling.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4 bolts to the shifter box are threaded into aluminum and kind small in diameter. So you want to be careful when you torque them down or you could strip the threads. I have seen that.

Once you torque down the 2 big torx bolts to the torque tube, check the shifter box to make sure this no movement up-down, right-left or front-back. Watch the bushings to see if there is any movement.

Lastly, and this is just a shot in the dark, but did you transfer over the plastic cup from the old shifter to the new one?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mez
Lastly, and this is just a shot in the dark, but did you transfer over the plastic cup from the old shifter to the new one?
With the new MGW shifters is that even possible? The one I just installed had its own plastic "****" that replaced that factory cup.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 AM
mannyg
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I checked the shifter box bushings and they're still OK. I used the four supplied bolts from MGW to bolt the shifter to the shifter box. The plastic cup cannot be transfered from the stock as the new shifter comes with a large plastic **** to fit into the shifting mechanism. I'm out of ideas so I think it's time to rip everything out again and check my work.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 PM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have there MGW shifter pop out of 2nd gear all the time? I just got a new tranny installed and the shop thinks its the shifter. I bought a used shifter but the rubber bushings are shot in it and I guess I need some stock bolts to install it as well. I just want to know if re-installing the stock shifter is even worth my time.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:08 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mannyg
I checked the shifter box bushings and they're still OK. I used the four supplied bolts from MGW to bolt the shifter to the shifter box. The plastic cup cannot be transfered from the stock as the new shifter comes with a large plastic **** to fit into the shifting mechanism. I'm out of ideas so I think it's time to rip everything out again and check my work.
i would just re check your work and make sure all the bolts including the shifter box bushing bolts are tight. there's really not much to that install and i can't see why you 'd have so much play in there. i just did my mgw install because the stock one had a lot of play. when i took things apart i noticed those two torx screws to the shifter box with the rubber bushings had come loose... the car is a year old!
Old 10-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas

Originally Posted by breecher_7
With the new MGW shifters is that even possible? The one I just installed had its own plastic "****" that replaced that factory cup.
I assumed it would reuse the stock cup like other shifters.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetStroker
Anyone have there MGW shifter pop out of 2nd gear all the time? I just got a new tranny installed and the shop thinks its the shifter. I bought a used shifter but the rubber bushings are shot in it and I guess I need some stock bolts to install it as well. I just want to know if re-installing the stock shifter is even worth my time.

Thinks??
Baloney. There are a lot of folks with MGW shifters and you don't hear about this issue at all.

Assuming that the replacement transmission isn't faulty, it definitely possible that when the shop installed the new tranny they misaligned the shifter rod correctly when they reconnected it to the shifter box. The only way the shifter would "cause" the thing to pop out of 2nd is if the way they connected it isn't allowing the shifter to move the tranny all the way into gear. (Or, when they connected it they didn't tighten it enough and the rod is slipping but that would likely show up as problems with 5th and 6th, too.)

The fact that the shop didn't diagnose this issue BEFORE you got the car back is, um, interesting

Z//
Old 10-30-2010, 02:19 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mez
I assumed it would reuse the stock cup like other shifters.
mgw shifters dont re use stock parts!
Old 10-30-2010, 02:46 PM
mannyg
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I took everything apart and found my problem is the shifter box, specifically the metal shaft that goes out of the back of the shifter box to the transmission. The notch on the shaft that the bolt goes through is rounding off. Did I do something wrong when I reinstalled the shifter box? I made sure the notch lined up with the hole in the shifter box before I reinstalled it. I can't see why it would be more loose than it originally was before I took it out.
Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

I took everything apart and found my problem is the shifter box, specifically the metal shaft that goes out of the back of the shifter box to the transmission. The notch on the shaft that the bolt goes through is rounding off. Did I do something wrong when I reinstalled the shifter box? I made sure the notch lined up with the hole in the shifter box before I reinstalled it. I can't see why it would be more loose than it originally was before I took it out.
did you loosen it during the install? zoxxo should be able to offer you good advice. he's a mastermind of the shifter install. he helped me with mine. if you connect that shaft to the shifter box does it tighten down or does the shaft rotate freely with the screw tightened down?

Get notified of new replies

To MGW shifter question. PLEASE HELP!!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:21 PM
mannyg
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I think I found the problem. I didn't have the bolt that tighten's the metal clamp around the shaft torqued down enough so it was allowing the shaft to rotate inside the clamp. There was also a small amount of grease around that part of the shaft, making it even easier for it to rotate. I was mistaken in thinking the notch in the shaft was there so the bolt keeps it from rotating, it's just there so the bolt can go through the hole in the shifter box. Hope this helps anyone that plans on taking the shifter box out. TIGHTEN THE HELL OUT OF THAT BOLT THAT CLAMPS AROUND THAT SHAFT!
Old 10-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Looks like someone tried to thread the rod clamp bolt before the shaft from the box was aligned in the clamp.

Normally the notch is smooth without any thread marks.

Here is procedure I followed is:

1. Place box on the torque tube mounts while inserting the shaft from the shifter box into the rod clamp going to the trans.

2. Insert the alignment pin in the hole on the front of the box. This aligns the shifter shaft inside the box. If you don't have a pin, use a suitable size drill bit.

3. Loosely thread the two right side shifter box mounting bolts. Do not tighten. You just want to keep the box from flopping around.

3. Visually check alignment of hole in clamp and notch on shifter shaft using small flash light. Add thread locker liquid to bolt and insert in shifter rod clamp. Wiggle the shifter box front to rear until bolt aligns in notch and it drops down to the threaded area of the clamp. Use light downward pressure on bolt. If aligned properly, it will slip into position.Do not turn or force bolt.

5. Once bolt drops down, it should start to thread into clamp by hand. Tighten bolt in clamp.

6. Add thread locker to torque tube mount bolts and tighten.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Mez
Safety Car

I think I found the problem. I didn't have the bolt that tighten's the metal clamp around the shaft torqued down enough so it was allowing the shaft to rotate inside the clamp. There was also a small amount of grease around that part of the shaft, making it even easier for it to rotate. I was mistaken in thinking the notch in the shaft was there so the bolt keeps it from rotating, it's just there so the bolt can go through the hole in the shifter box. Hope this helps anyone that plans on taking the shifter box out. TIGHTEN THE HELL OUT OF THAT BOLT THAT CLAMPS AROUND THAT SHAFT!
I can see how that could happen!!!!

Quick Reply: MGW shifter question. PLEASE HELP!!