C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!@$#%^& Check Gas Cap!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 PM
warriorp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !@$#%^& Check Gas Cap!

Just picked up my new to me 05 C6 this weekend and it keeps saying check gas cap...so i do a search and have read and tried the different theories on tightning (2 clicks while pulling, 4 clicks while pushing, etc)...didnt work...so i bought a new cap from my local dealer...same story different verse...ive tightned every way mentioned and has been 5 or 6 ignition cycles since the new cap...really PO'ed just got my new toy home and it says stupid crap...any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a bmw that required, IIRC, 20 ignition cycles to reset the gas cap.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You may have seen this already but......

If your cap is new it can take up to 10 ignition cycles before the error will clear. The gas tanks are part of a sealed system and the pressure is monitored as part of the evaporative emissions. Depending upon the severity of the leak it can cause a check engine light or a message on the DIC stating to "check gas cap".

You may have a defective gas cap. This was a problem with the 2005 cars and they are covered under an extended emissions warranty campaign.

When you put the cap on don't press down on the cap and seal, just turn the cap and make sure it clicks at least 3 times. Once that is done make sure that you can just lift it off as that was the defect with the cap, it would never quite make a seal.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 PM
warriorp
Racer

IIRC???...what is that?...but i will try more ignition cycles...just annoying that popping up on the dic every 5 minutes...thanks!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorp
IIRC???...what is that?
If I Recall Correctly
Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect your battery for 30 mins and let the system reset its self. That will get rid of the message. If the cap is still bad it will come back though.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM
warriorp
Racer

Originally Posted by RicK T
If I Recall Correctly
lol..sorry new one on me

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
Disconnect your battery for 30 mins and let the system reset its self. That will get rid of the message. If the cap is still bad it will come back though.
will try that next...will i have to reprogram the windows?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

30 minutes? Is it that long??
Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

You may need a new cap, that is not uncommon. Also, I would recommend you do not push or pull the cap. Put it on, turn it until it clicks and that's it.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 AM
warriorp
Racer

Originally Posted by foremaw
You may need a new cap, that is not uncommon. Also, I would recommend you do not push or pull the cap. Put it on, turn it until it clicks and that's it.
I already bought a new one from GM...What are the odds of it being a defect?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

I had the same issue recently with my 05. I got a new cap and then cleared the code with a predator after putting the new cap on and not problems since. If you don't have a computer to clear the code, just take a trip to Autozone or some place like that and they'll happily clear the code for you. If it the code comes back then you got another defective cap.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just picked up my new to me 05 C6 this weekend and it keeps saying check gas cap...so i do a search and have read and tried the different theories on tightning (2 clicks while pulling, 4 clicks while pushing, etc)...didnt work...so i bought a new cap from my local dealer...same story different verse...ive tightned every way mentioned and has been 5 or 6 ignition cycles since the new cap...really PO'ed just got my new toy home and it says stupid crap...any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated
My WS6 did this. It would take a tank or so of gas to re-set it. Dunno how many cranks this was.

I smeared vaseline around the caps little rubber gasket that seals/presses against the lip of the fill-neck. Solved it without buying a new cap.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Year's ago I got a check gas cap warning in my 2005. I bought a new gas cap but before I put it on someone suggested I try screwing the existing gas cap on as 'loosely' as possible. The gas cap is still 'on' but I don't attempt to screw it down tight like I might with gas caps on other vehicles. It worked....I never saw another check gas cap warning (and I still have the new gas cap I bought).
Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mez
30 minutes? Is it that long??
Its probably less but I normally wait about 30 minutes. A lot of times Ill leave it disconnected over night just cause I dont wanna deal with it right away.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It is possible that there is a leak somewhere else in the evap system. There is much more to it than just the cap. There are the ventilation lines, purge valve, charcoal canister and leak diagnostic pump. The system is designed to allow the fuel tank to vent without causing pollution by allowing fuel vapors into the atmosphere. The system runs a self-test every few drive cycles to make sure there are no leaks in the system.

Keep in mind also that the evaporative emissions self-test only happens after certain conditions are met. It really has nothing to do with ignition cycles. A longer drive is usually required (20+ minutes) before a test is allowed. I'd just clear any fault codes and see how it goes from there.

Andy
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
warriorp
Racer

Thanks for all the input. I'll go clear the codes tomorrow and see how that works.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 PM
jsilvz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input. I'll go clear the codes tomorrow and see how that works.

Thanks!
Had same problem. Cleared codes, no problem. Kinda crazy

Get notified of new replies

To !@$#%^& Check Gas Cap!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I already bought a new one from GM...What are the odds of it being a defect?
Not much probably. However, if you have been pushing down hard on your new cap it may also have developed a problem. As Wayne said, they feel like a loose fit but that's how they're designed. Its not like the old days where you need to compress the heavy spring.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM
warriorp
Racer

havent been pressing on the new one...clearing it this afternoon...hopefully that fixes it
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a recall on 2005 gas caps. Your dealer will replace it for free. Mine did. It's a 10 year replacement item.
Jeff

Quick Reply: !@$#%^& Check Gas Cap!