C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of Sparco steering wheel installed in C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
0john@speedmerchants
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of Sparco steering wheel installed in C6 Z06

I thought I would share these pictures of an Sparco steering wheel install a client of mine did in his C6 Z06

Z06 Steering install by SPEEDMERCHANTS, on Flickr

Old 09-15-2010, 12:44 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a functional reason for choosing this particular steering wheel? With the variety of custom Corvette specific steering wheels available, not to mention leaving the airbag intact, I'm not sure why someone would choose this one. Unless of course the car is being set up for racing only?

Not for me but that's JMO
Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

airbag light?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a super smooth hub.
sure beats the cheap accordion type of hub cover that normally comes on the aftermarket hubs.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM
tx_zo6
Burning Brakes

Looks to old-school for my taste.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What steering wheel adapter and what modifications need to be done to the adapter ?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 PM
gtmotor
Advanced

Can you still see all of the gauges?

I installed an aftermarket wheel in one of my track cars once and had modify the angle and position of the gauge cluster.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is change for the sake of change.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

looks stupid
Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

What are the cute little yellow buttons used to control?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll try to answer all the questions in one post.

The cute little yellow buttons are used to control the horn...it is a street car.

What I think looks stupid is driving around in a cool car like the Z steering it with the same wheel that's in a Malibou.

This is NOT change for the sake of change. The smaller diameter with the flat bottom gives me the room I needed/wanted above my quads.

I can still see all the gauges, but it's close enough that any smaller would be a problem.

The steering wheel adapter came from Pfadt racing and required no mods, simple bolt on, took me about a 1/2 hour to do it. However, due to the lack of dish on the wheel itself I had to machine an aluminum 1" spacer to put the wheel in the stock location so my knuckles wont hit the stalks.

Old school, maybe, but at least it's more functional for me than the stock wheel which I now have hung on the garage wall beside the car to remind just how ugly a thing it was to have in such a nice car.

That super smooth hub is actually not the hub. The hub itself is very small and ended up with all the airbag wiring wrapped around it because there was nothing else I could do with it if I wanted to be able to go back to stock. What you're looking at is a yogurt container with the bottom cut off that's been spray painted flat black.

Airbag light is covered with a small round piece of black electrical tape which virtually can't be seen at any time day or night.

As for this particular wheel, besides the aforementioned advantages to me of this wheel's size, it's also very light-weight, has alcantara sections to match the alcantara in my Carivaggio race seats and blue lettering which matches the car. I also like the regular leather where I usually hold on. As for the idea of leaving the airbag in tact, that's for people who like to have a bomb sitting in front of their face. Also, if you ever track your car, spin it and lightly bump the nose, it'll cost you over $5,000 in repairs due to the airbags going off compared to less than a $1000 without. If you're wearing proper seatbelts/harnesses an airbag provides no real advantage.

Because of my Carivaggio seats the only airbag left in my car is on the passeneger side and thus disabled whenever I'm doing silly things with 600+ rwhp.

Before someone jumps on me about the weight thing I'd like to say that being so **** about weight is how my fully streetable (nav, full power, A/C, etc) car neded up weighing 2920 lbs with a 1/2 tank of gas.

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 09-24-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 AM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happens if you hit the NOS to early

I like it for a track car, but not for a DD.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
lemans
Pro

You thought the factory wheel looked stupid, but a painted yogurt cup as part of your interior is a step in what direction again?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
HD_Rider
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Ridiculous and hideous. There are other aftermarket steering wheels that look far better than your yogurt-cup special.

Did you go with Activia to aid in the expelling of exhaust gases?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Want some brown gravy to go with that rice ?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You all knew it was a yogurt cup too didn't you, I'm impressed

So please, if there's so many aftermarket steering wheels out there that LOOK so much better, please help me out because clearly you guys with your stock LS3s and 20" wheels have far better taste than me

You all seem to have missed one of my main points, I wanted/needed a smaller wheel. Everything else you normally see in a Corvette is just the stock wheel someone has spent ~$1200 to be made pretty, they are not aftermarket and not smaller.

What I've got allows any true aftermarket wheel to be bolted on is less than 5 minutes because Momo and others all use the standard 70mm bolt circle, and the only way you can get a 70mm bolt circle is with the Pfadt adapter, and with that adapter, believe me, having the yogurt cup looks better than not having it.

So, what I've now got is a true race wheel, which kinda works well with a 2900 lb car that has over 600 rwhp. Clearly many others don't have similar needs and feel it necessary to express such lack of need with hostility...and that's okay, whatever works for you

Cheers, Paul.

PS. Let's keep in mind that I didn't post these pictures and ask for opinions, the guy I bought the steering wheel from posted them because mine was the first C6 Vette he'd seen with a aftermarket racing steering wheel. My post was intended to convey some useful information about the modification. I'm not sure what the purpose of many of the other posts are, possibly you guys think your opinion on looks are of some value ot forum members?

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 09-28-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjavette
Is there a functional reason for choosing this particular steering wheel? With the variety of custom Corvette specific steering wheels available, not to mention leaving the airbag intact, I'm not sure why someone would choose this one.
If ya have to ask, ya wouldn't understand.

Originally Posted by NIGHTSTALKER
What happens if you hit the NOS to early
"Too soon junior!"

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
You all knew it was a yogurt cup too didn't you, I'm impressed

So please, if there's so many aftermarket steering wheels out there that LOOK so much better, please help me out because clearly you guys with your stock LS3s and 20" wheels have far better taste than me

You all seem to have missed one of my main points, I wanted/needed a smaller wheel. Everything else you normally see in a Corvette is just the stock wheel someone has spent ~$1200 to be made pretty, they are not aftermarket and not smaller.

What I've got allows any true aftermarket wheel to be bolted on is less than 5 minutes because Momo and others all use the standard 70mm bolt circle, and the only way you can get a 70mm bolt circle is with the Pfadt adapter, and with that adapter, believe me, having the yogurt cup looks better than not having it.

So, what I've now got is a true race wheel, which kinda works well with a 2900 lb car that has over 600 rwhp. Clearly many others don't have similar needs and feel it necessary to express such lack of need with hostility...and that's okay, whatever works for you

Cheers, Paul.

PS. Let's keep in mind that I didn't post these pictures and ask for opinions, the guy I bought the steering wheel from posted them because mine was the first C6 Vette he'd seen with a aftermarket racing steering wheel. My post was intended to convey some useful information about the modification. I'm not sure what the purpose of many of the other posts are, possibly you guys think your opinion on looks are of some value ot forum members?
Well said.
While I personally prefer aftermarket (be it a Momo, Sparco or even a cheapie Grant or NRG) steering wheels with black spokes (not silver) I can fully understand what drives a racing enthusiast to do this, I've done it myself on 4 separate vehicles in the past.
Unlike the cars from the past that I've swapped steering wheels on though I happen to think the standard (2006 and up) Corvette steering wheel feels pretty good with a nice thick grip and 3 spokes so I have no real desire to change it out even though I would love the weight savings that it could deliver.
My big diameter/thin gripped LS1 Z28 steering wheel on the other hand is just begging to be pulled and I have two different Momo Monte Carlo (320mm and 350mm) wheels ready to go on it if I decide to go that route.

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of Sparco steering wheel installed in C6 Z06

Old 09-28-2010, 01:10 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks like a stock wheel with the guts taken out.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:56 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I like my 05 wheel and air bag.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:32 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

definitely unique...Looks decent but I am not digging the name brand but the wheel itself looks good enough.....but hey its your hot rod...Nice car. Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Pictures of Sparco steering wheel installed in C6 Z06