C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of inside NPP muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM
sstew
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Pictures of inside NPP muffler

Anyone have picture of inside a standard NPP muffler? Not a Z06 but a standard NPP.

Thanks
Stosh
Old 08-27-2010, 10:38 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would be interesting to see.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:27 PM
sstew
Instructor

The reason I ask is because I purchased a pair of NPP mufflers from a salvage yard on Ebay that was taken off a 2009 vette that had been in a roll over accedent. They have some dents but otherwise look fine. The probelm is one of the mufflers has some gravel in it and I want to get it out so my car doesn't rattle, it would be easier if I new how the muffler was contructed internally.

I have gotten some out by holding up and shaking but I am not Schwartenagger so any help would be appreciated.
And yes it was worth while to do it :-)

Thanks
Stosh
Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by sstew
The reason I ask is because I purchased a pair of NPP mufflers from a salvage yard on Ebay that was taken off a 2009 vette that had been in a roll over accedent. They have some dents but otherwise look fine. The probelm is one of the mufflers has some gravel in it and I want to get it out so my car doesn't rattle, it would be easier if I new how the muffler was contructed internally.

I have gotten some out by holding up and shaking but I am not Schwartenagger so any help would be appreciated.
And yes it was worth while to do it :-)

Thanks
Stosh
The only internal difference I know of is that the inside pipe isn't perforated like the Z06 pipe is. Since there is no real reason to cut the NPP open (like the Z06 muffler mod) you probably won't find many/any pictures. The NPP should look nearly identical to this with a non-perforated internal pipe.

San
Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Markallamerican
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out "stock muffler mod" in general section. Not sure if the npp is the same on the inside, but maybe?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

You would think that the gravel would come out the same way it got in, through the exhaust tips. It is going to take some gyrations and lots of patience. You may look like Arnold before you are done.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:05 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Here's a pic of a base muffler. Inlet on the left and exit on right.
The bi-mode (Z06/NPP) muffler quiet side (non-valved) exit is in the same location. The center compartment is filled with the fiberglass that is initially in a bag, but apparently the bag disintegrates over time, as only pieces were left in this muffler.
I suspect the gravel got in through the quiet side, which is always open. Follow that tube from the right to the U-bend on the left and then back to where it opens into the right compartment. That's where the gravel is now.
If you really want the gravel out, I'd suggest drilling a hole in the upper end panel, then shaking it out and welding the hole shut.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 AM
sstew
Instructor

All, thanks!!

Yea, I have tried holding the things up and shaking them and got quite a bit out but not all. Very dissapointed in the Ahole who lied to me and told me there were no rattles !! I will see if I can get my money back thru Pay Pal or Ebay but if worst case I may try to drill 1/2 " holes to get the gravel out then weld them up.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:41 PM
hydbyj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All, thanks!!

Yea, I have tried holding the things up and shaking them and got quite a bit out but not all. Very dissapointed in the Ahole who lied to me and told me there were no rattles !! I will see if I can get my money back thru Pay Pal or Ebay but if worst case I may try to drill 1/2 " holes to get the gravel out then weld them up.
i bought mine from GMPP online for about $650.00 each brand new with no dents. if you need to replace the ones you bought with factory replacements i would recommend that route. there were no vacuum lines supplied so you have to figure that out on your own.
jerry
Old 08-30-2010, 05:33 PM
sstew
Instructor

Have the ufflers in a local garage who is attempting to cut open the mfflers to remove what I believe to be part of the catalytic converter that broke loose and was traped in the muffler. I also want to say the gentelman I bought the mufflers from appologized and offered my money back or will pay to have the repairs done. That is very refreshing to find an honest man!! Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for everyones input!
Stosh
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM
sstew
Instructor

Well the muffler shop found fiberglass in muffler ad didn't want to work on them so will return them for refund and start searching again!

Thanks
Stosh
Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Well the muffler shop found fiberglass in muffler ad didn't want to work on them so will return them for refund and start searching again!

Thanks
Stosh
They wouldn't work on them due to fiberglass??? What did they think was in there? It's not like it's asbestos or something bad. I mentioned fiberglass in post #7 and now it's a problem??
Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
They wouldn't work on them due to fiberglass??? What did they think was in there? It's not like it's asbestos or something bad. I mentioned fiberglass in post #7 and now it's a problem??
Are you making sense again?

San
Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Are you making sense again?

San
According to my wife it's a rare occasion.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

this is all i got:
The following 2 users liked this post by MarkRx:
Justbs549 (04-30-2023), OctagonMan (03-20-2019)
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Excellent picture!!

Keep on shaking!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of inside NPP muffler

Quick Reply: Pictures of inside NPP muffler