C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Extended performance..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I only use recycled mineral based oil in my. Can't afford new oil because I bought the car.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:24 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I only use recycled mineral based oil in my. Can't afford new oil because I bought the car.
I hope you use K-Mart oil filters or you'll never make it to 200K miles...it's a well documented fact on the forum the use of mismatched oil and filter will lead to engine failure.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Rebel,
Probably won't answer all your questions, but here is some evidence showing AMSOIL wear numbers below the labs factory averages for my CTS-V (LS2 engine):
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis - AMSOIL 0w30
Note: The Jun 07 sample was Mobil 1 5w30, the last three were AMSOIL 0w30. Look at the LS2 wear metals (aluminum, copper, iron, lead) and compare those across the samples and against the lab averages.

What I think is impossible to really debate is whether low wear numbers really matter on the street. I do believe that AMSOIL is better and I use it in everything from my weed whacker to my daily driver's for that reason, but I got into AMSOIL after I lost a motor in my first season of racing (03) and wanted to try to prevent that from happening again.
I am taking you at your word using Mobil 1 but any oil will show increased material in a new engine breaking-in.
I have seen Blackstone reports and every one shows higher metal content during the first couple thousand miles and slowly decreases as the engine breaks-in.
Copper especially will Always be higher at the beginning because of Rod, Main and Cam Bearing wear and will taper off.
You say you "lost a motor during racing". How do you know it was oil related? Many engines are torn down after racing that has nothing to do with the oil. Heat, increased demands, failure and many factors contribute to losing an engine. Not just oil.
Sorry, this is not evidence to me about one oil being better than another.
I still stand by my experience with different oils and have found Mobil 1 to be equal to if not better than most oils on the market.
If there was a better oil don't you think these high-end car companies would be using it given the fact they offer their long warranty coverage on the drivetrain?

Last edited by Rebel 1; 08-22-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:36 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
I am taking you at your word using Mobil 1 but any oil will show increased material in a new engine breaking-in.
I have seen Blackstone reports and every one shows higher metal content during the first couple thousand miles and slowly decreases as the engine breaks-in.
Copper especially will Always be higher at the beginning because of Rod, Main and Cam Bearing wear and will taper off.
You say you "lost a motor during racing". How do you know it was oil related? Many engines are torn down after racing that has nothing to do with the oil. Heat, increased demands, failure and many factors contribute to losing an engine. Not just oil.
Sorry, this is not evidence to me about one oil being better than another.
I still stand by my experience with different oils and have found Mobil 1 to be equal to if not better than most oils on the market.
If there was a better oil don't you think these high-end car companies would be using it given the fact they offer their long warranty coverage on the drivetrain?

Smart Post.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

All the "better" oil opinions aside, the ultimate quality is not the driving force behind the decision of the oil that manufacturers choose.

If Ralph's Super Magic Oil was the undeniably best oil in the world, but Ralph can't meet the demand, only has limited distributors, and is priced well above market, then no manufacturer would use it.

Price, quality, and availability are the three tenets of all business. Both you and GM get to pick priorities.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Keep in mind that Mobil wants to be the OE oils so people like me will buy it at full price as replacement oil.

I only use Mobil 1 engine oil in all my cars, but use Redline for everything else, like the diff and trans.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that Mobil wants to be the OE oils so people like me will buy it at full price as replacement oil.
Full price? Mobile 1 is available in most discount houses for a very reasonable price (like Walmart).
Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by j_digi454
Full price? Mobile 1 is available in most discount houses for a very reasonable price (like Walmart).
That is full price compared to what GM, Porsche, Mercedes, etc pay.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
All the "better" oil opinions aside, the ultimate quality is not the driving force behind the decision of the oil that manufacturers choose.

If Ralph's Super Magic Oil was the undeniably best oil in the world, but Ralph can't meet the demand, only has limited distributors, and is priced well above market, then no manufacturer would use it.

Price, quality, and availability are the three tenets of all business. Both you and GM get to pick priorities.
How do you know Quality is not a driving force behind what oil high-end automakers use like Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes, etc.? With 100,000 mile warranties or more i would think they would want the best to avoid any Possibility of $$$$ engine failures.

We are not talking Ralph's oil, we are talking about Major Oil Companies and suppliers. Mobil, Amsoil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Redline, Royal Purple, etc. All of these are excellent oils and Readily Available. The automakers have the option to use of Any of them.

and GM picked Mobil 1 as their Pick And Recommends it in the Owners Manual.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know if this is known, but back about the same year Corvettes started using Mobil 1 as the factory fill, they were the SECOND car manufacturer to do so.

The first one? Porsche, the year before.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:19 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I only use Mobil 1 engine oil in all my cars, but use Redline for everything else, like the diff and trans.
why
Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

How do you know Quality is not a driving force behind what oil high-end automakers use like Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes, etc.? With 100,000 mile warranties or more i would think they would want the best to avoid any Possibility of $$$$ engine failures.

We are not talking Ralph's oil, we are talking about Major Oil Companies and suppliers. Mobil, Amsoil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Redline, Royal Purple, etc. All of these are excellent oils and Readily Available. The automakers have the option to use of Any of them.

and GM picked Mobil 1 as their Pick And Recommends it in the Owners Manual.
Slow down a bit and look again.

I said "..ultimate quality is not the driving force.." and "If Ralph's Super Magic Oil was the undeniably best oil.." to preface the the main point, which was how businesses make decisions.

Ralph's (a fictional product) was the extreme example of an oil you couldn't afford or couldn't acquire.

Mobil is the only one on your list that really is a major oil company. All the rest are bit players who have carved out a small slice of the market that you are familar with.

If you were the person at GM to make the decision which oil to use, what would your criteria be?

Just as a reference, keep in mind that most hospitals use Tylenol as their pain reliever of choice, because it's the lowest priced and highest volume product that meets their minimum requirements.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jimman
why
I like the people at RedLine (and believe they make superior products), but can't always find it, and you can get Mobil everywhere. I change engine oil allot more than the trans and diff oil.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Slow down a bit and look again.

I said "..ultimate quality is not the driving force.." and "If Ralph's Super Magic Oil was the undeniably best oil.." to preface the the main point, which was how businesses make decisions.

Ralph's (a fictional product) was the extreme example of an oil you couldn't afford or couldn't acquire.

Mobil is the only one on your list that really is a major oil company. All the rest are bit players who have carved out a small slice of the market that you are familar with.

If you were the person at GM to make the decision which oil to use, what would your criteria be?

Just as a reference, keep in mind that most hospitals use Tylenol as their pain reliever of choice, because it's the lowest priced and highest volume product that meets their minimum requirements.
We can agree to disagee but,
When it comes to something as Important as protecting $8,500 LS3 and $25,000 ZR1 engines as well as Very Expensive $$$ Porsche and Mercedes engines the engineers determined Mobil 1 as the oil of choice.

You asked if "I were the person at GM to make the decision on which oil to use"? I would not try to "second guess" my engineers determination on oil when it comes to 100,000 mile plus warranty's.

I am sure that many oil's were put thru grueling tests to determine which would be best to avoid potential engine failures.

I have to disagree with you on Tylenol because it has been proven to be at or near the top in its performance over most medications.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:13 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Mobile 1 is one of the best fake synthetics out there.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:08 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Ohhh you gremlin, don't open that Pandora's box!
Old 08-25-2010, 05:16 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Valvoline 5w-30 and penzoil 5w-30 full synthetic is on sale at O'reilly's...$3.99 a qt....

But this has nothing to do with the OP's question...

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Extended performance..

Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM
llllorac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Mobil Tech said at Road America....

This past weekend I was at Road America for the American Le Mans...spent allot of time in the tent in Corvette Corral...Corvette Race Program director Doug Fehen spoke along with guys from Michelin and Mobil..Fehen talked about how Mobil and Michelin work hand and hand with the race team....the Mobil guy talked about what kind of race development is going on with 0 base oils...they use a 0-50 in the #3 and #4 Corvettes....he said NASCAR is using 0-30....but the race oils have an additive in them that plugs catalytic converters if used on the street extensively....after his 20 minute presentation I asked him about the gold cap Mobil 1...he said GM OK's it's use in the LS3...it is the same as reg Mobil 1 with a bit more additive just as the Mobil site says...but they gave us a quart of regular Mobil 1 in a gift bag....I think that is what I will continue to use....I figure a little less "cleaners" and little more polymer in reg Mobil 1....and I change my oil before my "oil life" indicator gets to 70% oil life remaining...
Old 08-25-2010, 06:12 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by llllorac
and I change my oil before my "oil life" indicator gets to 70% oil life remaining...
I bought my car new in 2006 and am still at 50% and have never reset it even though I change the oil twice a year....

I wonder how long it will run before it tells me to change it.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Fake synthetic, I get it.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Extended performance..