C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads Up on A6 Lock-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
c5creech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads Up on A6 Lock-up

My 08 A6 Vert is currently at the dealership with a locked-up transmission. I've read several threads about problems with the A6 but none as severe as this one. The shifter for the transmission...when the car was loaded on the "roll-back" wrecker yesterday would only move from "d" to "n" that's it. I've read threads about broken reverse lock-out levers and solenoid problems...but I just talked with the Service Manager...and this is the first they have seen with a totally locked-up A6. He said the whole thing was bent and broken. All I did was shift it from "Park" to "S." Odd, that they just had to service the rear end last week because of a "clunking" sound. Replaced the fluid and it was "good to go" until I got it home and tried to shift it... They just told me they have ordered parts...so I'll let you know how it turns out... If you own an A6 Vette this may be something you want to watch out for...
Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by c5creech
My 08 A6 Vert is currently at the dealership with a locked-up transmission. I've read several threads about problems with the A6 but none as severe as this one. The shifter for the transmission...when the car was loaded on the "roll-back" wrecker yesterday would only move from "d" to "n" that's it. I've read threads about broken reverse lock-out levers and solenoid problems...but I just talked with the Service Manager...and this is the first they have seen with a totally locked-up A6. He said the whole thing was bent and broken. All I did was shift it from "Park" to "S." Odd, that they just had to service the rear end last week because of a "clunking" sound. Replaced the fluid and it was "good to go" until I got it home and tried to shift it... They just told me they have ordered parts...so I'll let you know how it turns out... If you own an A6 Vette this may be something you want to watch out for...
I guess maybe the dealer messed up
the A6's are not without problems, but they work well in my cars
Keep us posted!!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It just sounds like your shifter cable got kinked and/or bent. It happens so I wouldn't stress about it.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The A6 shifter is famous for locking up and only allowing movement from R to D or N to R. I am sure it's nothing with the trans and is just the shift control assembly. Are they ordering part to fix the trans or just the shift control that bolts in the car?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM
c5creech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much for your input. Just got the Vette back from the dealership. Ended up being a broken internal gear shift control. They replaced the whole assembly...including the ****...recharged the battery (gave me a read-out of the charge, battery o.k.)...hand washed it...and delivered back to my house. You know, I read a lot of complaints about service departments on the Forum...but I'm really lucky...mine is super!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks much for your input. Just got the Vette back from the dealership. Ended up being a broken internal gear shift control. They replaced the whole assembly...including the ****...recharged the battery (gave me a read-out of the charge, battery o.k.)...hand washed it...and delivered back to my house. You know, I read a lot of complaints about service departments on the Forum...but I'm really lucky...mine is super!
Yeah I figured it couldn't be the actual trans itself, congrats on getting it back in great working order.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads Up on A6 Lock-up

Quick Reply: Heads Up on A6 Lock-up