C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window won't go all the way down -06 vert

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:45 PM
KWIKTOY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default window won't go all the way down -06 vert

I found some posts on windows that won't go up and it seems that these were faulty window regulators.
My drivers side window won't go all the way down, stays up about 5 inches. Anyone know if this is due to a bad window regulator? Could it be a problem other than the window regulator? The part is expensive so I'd hate to buy it and find out later that it was an issue other than the regulator. Any help, advice, opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am not a mechanic and don't normally work on my car myself but am wondering if this is a simple repair? Does anyone have or know where I might find instructions on how to change a window regulator. If you know how to do this please tell me your opinion as to whether you would advise me to attempt this myself or have it professionally done.
Again, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-11-2010, 11:51 AM
cmashark
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

My passenger side did the same thing... What I found was the wiring harness in the door had came loose from its clips and the window was hitting it. After fixing the harness, I had to disconnect the battery because the window had indexed its lower point to the spot the harness was stopping it. Check your harness well, it splits right after it enters the door shell. Hope this helps.

Chris
The following users liked this post:
J.J. McGovern (03-15-2024)
Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by KWIKTOY
I found some posts on windows that won't go up and it seems that these were faulty window regulators.
My drivers side window won't go all the way down, stays up about 5 inches. Anyone know if this is due to a bad window regulator? Could it be a problem other than the window regulator? The part is expensive so I'd hate to buy it and find out later that it was an issue other than the regulator. Any help, advice, opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am not a mechanic and don't normally work on my car myself but am wondering if this is a simple repair? Does anyone have or know where I might find instructions on how to change a window regulator. If you know how to do this please tell me your opinion as to whether you would advise me to attempt this myself or have it professionally done.
Again, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
If you are mechanically inclined find someone to do the reg install. Window fit means no air or water leaks this may require a lot of adjustment.
z51vett
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
KWIKTOY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmashark
My passenger side did the same thing... What I found was the wiring harness in the door had came loose from its clips and the window was hitting it. After fixing the harness, I had to disconnect the battery because the window had indexed its lower point to the spot the harness was stopping it. Check your harness well, it splits right after it enters the door shell. Hope this helps.

Chris
Hi Chris - well brought it to the dealer as I just don't trust my inexperience to fix it myself. It turned out to be the same problem in my drivers side door as you had in the passenger door - window was getting hung in the wiring harness that had come loose from it's clips. As odd as this seems it must be somewhat of a regular problem in vettes. I must assume you & I are not the only ones to have had this issue. Well it cost me $200 at the dealer to get it fixed but at least it was not the window regulator which would have bee about 3x as much.
- Bill
Old 09-25-2022, 06:08 PM
ShockerRacing
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

I just dealt with this same problem on my C6 Grand Sport and made a video showing how to fix it:
Old 06-12-2023, 10:08 PM
tixeon
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks ShockerRacing. I had this happen to me today and used your video to fix my car.

Get notified of new replies

To window won't go all the way down -06 vert

Quick Reply: window won't go all the way down -06 vert