C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a dual mode exhaust

Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Default Need a dual mode exhaust

My 2007 MN6 is a great car... but it is a little too quiet.

Now that the dual mode exhaust has been invented, I see no reason to install even a great sounding single mode, louder exhaust. I want the two sounds -- and I need to play with one of those M2W switches.

My idea is to try to get sound resembling the Z06 LS9's sound from my base LS2. I realize that there are many major design and operational differences between an LS9 and an LS2, so I don't expect to have my LS2 sound exactly like an LS9.

If I adapt the 3 inch pipe on the Z06 muffler to my 2 inch pipe, will my LS2 sound deeper as well as louder?

The question is, are the dual mode mufflers on the Z06 different or the same size and construction as the dual mode mufflers on the LS3?

Thanks for thinking about this idea.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterSG
My 2007 MN6 is a great car... but it is a little too quiet.

Now that the dual mode exhaust has been invented, I see no reason to install even a great sounding single mode, louder exhaust. I want the two sounds -- and I need to play with one of those M2W switches.

My idea is to try to get sound resembling the Z06 LS9's sound from my base LS2. I realize that there are many major design and operational differences between an LS9 and an LS2, so I don't expect to have my LS2 sound exactly like an LS9.

If I adapt the 3 inch pipe on the Z06 muffler to my 2 inch pipe, will my LS2 sound deeper as well as louder?

The question is, are the dual mode mufflers on the Z06 different or the same size and construction as the dual mode mufflers on the LS3?

Thanks for thinking about this idea.
Z06 and NPP are different mufflers. Z06 mufflers with the "muffler mod" are close to the NPP.

Z06 mufflers are 2.5" inlet, the same as rhe NPP. The Z06 mid pipe and the pipe from the mid pipe to the muffler are 3.0" but the pipes neck down to 2.5" at the muffler.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
vettn71
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Z06 mufflers on my 07. They attach to the stock downpipes using a 2 1/2" to 3" x-pipe as a changeover. It's 3" from there on back. the muffler shop had to cut about 2" off the Z06 pipes to get them to fit correctly. The sound is very good. I like it, but will probably do the muffler mod. I understand the 2 1/2"NPPs are louder than the Z06, which makes sense, as the Z06 mufflers would be tuned to a 427

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Need a dual mode exhaust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a dual mode exhaust