C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't my driver's side door OPEN?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:13 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Why won't my driver's side door OPEN?!?

I was driving down my street the other day and I tried to open the door while I was rolling in 1st gear at like 2mph, so I could spit or something...anyway, the door button would click, it sounded like the door was unlocking, and the window would index, but the door would not actually open...I pressed the button several times and it finally opened for me.

I got a new car (SRT-4) a couple weeks ago and have been daily driving it, so the c6 hasn't been driven more than 3 times in the last 15 days. I'm not sure if that matters, but figured I'd throw in that fact in case it has any relevance here.

So today I tried to get into my car in the garage and it took me maybe 10 clicks to get the door to open for me. Same symptoms: lock disengaging, window indexing, but door NOT opening.

After I reached my destination and left the car parked for several hours, I tried to get back in to go home and this time it would NOT open. I clicked it 30-40 times before finally giving up and getting in on the passenger side. When I got home, the door again would not let me out. I had to pull the red lever on the floor to get the door to open.

WTF is going on with the car? Is this something simple I can fix, or is my car headed to Chevy service on Monday morning?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by StoplightWarrior
I was driving down my street the other day and I tried to open the door while I was rolling in 1st gear at like 2mph, so I could spit or something...anyway, the door button would click, it sounded like the door was unlocking, and the window would index, but the door would not actually open...I pressed the button several times and it finally opened for me.

I got a new car (SRT-4) a couple weeks ago and have been daily driving it, so the c6 hasn't been driven more than 3 times in the last 15 days. I'm not sure if that matters, but figured I'd throw in that fact in case it has any relevance here.

So today I tried to get into my car in the garage and it took me maybe 10 clicks to get the door to open for me. Same symptoms: lock disengaging, window indexing, but door NOT opening.

After I reached my destination and left the car parked for several hours, I tried to get back in to go home and this time it would NOT open. I clicked it 30-40 times before finally giving up and getting in on the passenger side. When I got home, the door again would not let me out. I had to pull the red lever on the floor to get the door to open.

WTF is going on with the car? Is this something simple I can fix, or is my car headed to Chevy service on Monday morning?
Your door switch is out. Replace both sides since the passenger side is likely to go out down the road (better to replace in pairs) a switch will cost you about $15 buck and very easy to replace
Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, I just had one replaced a couple of days ago under warranty. It is covered if you have GMPP or your bumper-to-bumper is still intact.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
Your door switch is out. Replace both sides since the passenger side is likely to go out down the road (better to replace in pairs) a switch will cost you about $15 buck and very easy to replace
hmm...even though it "sounds" like everything is working normally, you think it's the switch?? What part of the door does the switch install into?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

hmm...even though it "sounds" like everything is working normally, you think it's the switch?? What part of the door does the switch install into?
Yes, its the switch. The switch is the "door handle" itself outside the car. there are only two screws that hold it in place.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Yes, its the switch. The switch is the "door handle" itself outside the car. there are only two screws that hold it in place.
Nice. And I can just get it at the Chevrolet dealer?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Nice. And I can just get it at the Chevrolet dealer?
Yep

Like I said, if your '08 is still under warranty (bumper to bumper) then its covered. Won't cost you a dime.

Gene of GM Partshouse (a forum vendor) also carries them.

Remember, replace the passenger side as well.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Yep

Like I said, if your '08 is still under warranty (bumper to bumper) then its covered. Won't cost you a dime.

Gene of GM Partshouse (a forum vendor) also carries them.

Remember, replace the passenger side as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 PM
bladesilvervette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is the door switch, but you can open it up and clean it. the switch is the same as a key fob inside just gets a build up on it and won't work, but a new one is cheap also.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Update:

I went to chevy and bought the replacement driver's side door switch. This is the $15 piece that goes inside the door handle, on the door itself, and has the button on it.

Installed it, closed the door, tried to open it, and SAME THING. The door makes the sound like it's opening, the window indexes, but the door DOES NOT OPEN.

Upon closer inspection, it seems like there may be a problem with the piece that the door closes into (the latch itself that holds the door closed). The latch inside doesnt move at all unless I pull the emergency release at my feet. Any other thoughts, or should I just take it to the service dept
Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Update:

I went to chevy and bought the replacement driver's side door switch. This is the $15 piece that goes inside the door handle, on the door itself, and has the button on it.

Installed it, closed the door, tried to open it, and SAME THING. The door makes the sound like it's opening, the window indexes, but the door DOES NOT OPEN.

Upon closer inspection, it seems like there may be a problem with the piece that the door closes into (the latch itself that holds the door closed). The latch inside doesnt move at all unless I pull the emergency release at my feet. Any other thoughts, or should I just take it to the service dept
I kind of thought from the beginning it was not the switch. The fact that it clicks when trying to open suggests the switch is working. The solenoid or release should be lubricated and thats probably all you need unless it is bent.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
I kind of thought from the beginning it was not the switch. The fact that it clicks when trying to open suggests the switch is working. The solenoid or release should be lubricated and thats probably all you need unless it is bent.
Me too...My gut said it was not the switch, but the c6 guys here seemed so confident that it was...first time they've led me astray.

car's going into Chevy on Thursday...can't take anymore of this opening the door by pulling the release inside the hatch
Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Me too...My gut said it was not the switch, but the c6 guys here seemed so confident that it was...first time they've led me astray.

car's going into Chevy on Thursday...can't take anymore of this opening the door by pulling the release inside the hatch
OH, That would drive me nuts. Well cant blame them for trying. As these warranties run out we will be on our own to diagnose and fix these things. The professional garage will be expensive. They will probably order you a new assembly. Good luck, leon
Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 PM
BluZbrutha
Instructor

Any update on this? Mine JUST started doing this today. Have to open from inside with lever. Takes several attempts from outside. Passenger door works fine. Parked it after a few hours of driving and it's working fine now. I still don't think the problem is fixed and will come back. Window indexes when hitting the button, so the button works.

op: what was the fix on your end?

Last edited by BluZbrutha; 05-31-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

I am a little confused, it is happening on the outside and the inside door switches. Why would that be a faulty outer door handle switch?

D.J.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 AM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Originally Posted by BluZbrutha
Any update on this? Mine JUST started doing this today. Have to open from inside with lever. Takes several attempts from outside. Passenger door works fine. Parked it after a few hours of driving and it's working fine now. I still don't think the problem is fixed and will come back. Window indexes when hitting the button, so the button works.

op: what was the fix on your end?
I took it back to Chevy and they fixed it under warranty. It was the latch assembly itself. Not the part on the door. They actually had to keep the car overnight to fix it.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:41 PM
jmmy
Advanced

Had those same symptoms myself.Started intermittently but one day it just stayed dead.
If the window indexes and you can hear the solenoid trying, it's not the switch.
Out of warranty it'll cost you about $165-70 in hand.
You will need a trim tool to get the panels off inside. Loosen the rear of the sill panel enough to free up the front of the panel behind the seat. With it out of the way you'll see one of those sticky pads about 4x7". The latch is behind that. Take out the two torx visible on front of the latch and it comes right out.
Not counting time on the trim panel clips, it took about twenty minutes. Good luck.
(Also, if you want to order one, the remote entry option is for export vehicles only. You don't need that one.)

Get notified of new replies

To Why won't my driver's side door OPEN?!?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 PM
BluZbrutha
Instructor

Well..... I had plans to visit the stealer for an internal switch.
When I gave it one last boyscout try using the all purpose and faithful
WD40. A little squirt in the door mechanism and wha la! Days later,
with multiple entry and exits and not one freaking issue since. door working just great. Go figure! By the way, i have 55k on the clock and this is/was the only issue with many ins and outs with the door.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
jmmy
Advanced

Most sincerely, Good luck with the WD40.
When I was still intermittent,I tried that and it seemed to help. It may be all you needed.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BluZbrutha
Well..... I had plans to visit the stealer for an internal switch.
When I gave it one last boyscout try using the all purpose and faithful
WD40. A little squirt in the door mechanism and wha la! Days later,
with multiple entry and exits and not one freaking issue since. door working just great. Go figure! By the way, i have 55k on the clock and this is/was the only issue with many ins and outs with the door.
Where do you squirt the oil.....my door latches seem gummy/intermittent

Is that the same problem you had?

Last edited by lottavettes; 03-12-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Why won't my driver's side door OPEN?!?