C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor and ceramic pad install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:29 PM
dpramair
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake rotor and ceramic pad install

Just recieved my drill/slotted rotors with ceramic pads from Partstaxi. Would like to know if there are any experieanced tricks to the install and some bedding techniques that would help. i have all the needed tools and torque wrenches. Would appreciate any input, thanks in advance. My car is a base 05.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

I've bedded mine twice and the squeeling came back. I guess I'll try again.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

It's a good time to flush the brake fluid with new DOT 4. I have used a mighty vac to do this, but like my pressure system the best. The pressure system puts about 1/2 psi pressure to the top of the master cylinder to bleed the system. Clear tube from caliper bleed port to a clear bottle allows you to see when the fluid goes clear from the dark old stuff. Need to keep the master full while doing this as well.

Before doing the above, and before compressing the caliper pistons in, remove some of the brake fluid from the master cylinder. Sometime the master will be topped off while the pads were wore down some. When the pistons are compressed back into the caliper, the added fluid from them may over fill the master cylinder causing it to puck all over the engine comparment.

Check over all the hardware including the caliper mountings making sure they are square with the rotor and that they move freely on the pins.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:14 PM
dpramair
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to the new look and less brake dust.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you put a thin smear of lube between the pads and calipers. If you don't you may get a squeal. I tried dry first and had to take them apart again to add the lube and they are now 100% silent.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 AM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I wanted to buy the ceramics because I wanted a pad that had no chance of squeeling but I guess that ceramics can squeel to? Oh brother
Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM
SgtRod
Drifting

Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

True, although I have no experience with ceramics to date, there are those that have reported a squealing problem here on the forum.

BJK
Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

There are different types of brake squeals. Ceramics that squeal were probably installed without stop-squeak on the pads. A small packet of the stuff is like .99 so I don't know why people don't use it sometimes.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Default My tip.

First I will say that I have VERY bad squeeeeeeeeel with my brand new ceramics. I have 300 miles on them.

I had a horrible scraping sound coming from the right side of the car. As I drove past fences, walls, houses, etc. the sound would reflect off of them and I would hear it very loudly. I was told by others that it was just new pads needing to be broken in. Well, it did not go away. Here is what it was. This happened on the front but could happen at any location. The pads ride in a thin sheet metal clip. You will have received new clips with your pads. There is a center "tab" on this clip that comes very close to the edge of the rotor, or in my case, scrapes on the rotor. Bend this tab a little and the scraping goes away. So, before putting your wheels back on, use two lug nuts to hold your rotor flush to the hub and spin it to see if you hear scraping. You can look down on the caliper if you stick you head in the wheel well and see if the metal clip is contacting the rotor too. You will always hear the brake pads dragging, but the clip will be much louder if it is dragging.

Well, hope that is of some help in avoiding an annoyance.

-D
Old 05-26-2010, 05:13 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Was that the cause of the squeeeel or are they still squeeling?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Originally Posted by SgtRod
Was that the cause of the squeeeel or are they still squeeling?
The clips scraping the rotor was the cause of a constant....wait for it....scraping sound. Imagine a piece of steel wire constantly rubbing the turning rotor and you can imagine what I was hearing.

The squeeling is still there. I have tried applying the supplied grease and never seize, but the squeel is still there. Strange thing is the squeel is on the right front. The right front squeeled before the pad switch and now after. All 3 other corners where fine before and now after pad switch. I've checked to make sure the caliper floats on the bracket pins, it does. I removed the pins and lubed them, doesn't matter. The rotors where turned, so they are not glazed. I don't know what to think. I have considered swapping the front two rotors to see if the squeel follows. If so maybe I should buy 1 new rotor.

- Dale
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
The clips scraping the rotor was the cause of a constant....wait for it....scraping sound. Imagine a piece of steel wire constantly rubbing the turning rotor and you can imagine what I was hearing.

The squeeling is still there. I have tried applying the supplied grease and never seize, but the squeel is still there. Strange thing is the squeel is on the right front. The right front squeeled before the pad switch and now after. All 3 other corners where fine before and now after pad switch. I've checked to make sure the caliper floats on the bracket pins, it does. I removed the pins and lubed them, doesn't matter. The rotors where turned, so they are not glazed. I don't know what to think. I have considered swapping the front two rotors to see if the squeel follows. If so maybe I should buy 1 new rotor.

- Dale
the squeal is caused by the pads not being clamped tight enough by the caliper (usually) if you push harder on the brake pedal and it goes away that is the cause. if that is the cause the anti squeal stuff will fix it until it gets too hot and it burns off. I don't use the stuff and have racing pads so mine sounds like an old school bus but it stops right now
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
the squeal is caused by the pads not being clamped tight enough by the caliper (usually) if you push harder on the brake pedal and it goes away that is the cause. if that is the cause the anti squeal stuff will fix it until it gets too hot and it burns off. I don't use the stuff and have racing pads so mine sounds like an old school bus but it stops right now
Yes, my squeal goes away if I push harder. Why would this happen consistently at the same corner of the car? Is there a problem with the caliper? I would like a permanent solution other than hard braking.

-Dale
Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

usually the anti squeak stuff on the pad mounting surfaces will do the trick. no it's not really a caliper problem as you really don't want the fit that tight. check with you local auto parts counter person , Hawk sends along a paclet of what they call gearhead grease to use on the pads when installed
Old 05-28-2010, 09:47 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Thanks for the info.
I guess I am doomed to have to put the grease on it and pray for the best.
-Dale
Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dale, try bedding them again, remove the glaze for the pads,puts some stop squeek on the backs and pins... Should work. I have an 08A6 that squeeled with original pads, changed to Delco ceramics, trued the rotors, and quiet as a mouse.

AJ

Get notified of new replies

To Brake rotor and ceramic pad install

Quick Reply: Brake rotor and ceramic pad install