C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL after adding headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default CEL after adding headers

I have read that after headers are installed you usually get a CEL. Can this be shut off without a tune? I intend on getting cats also.

The reason I ask is my local dealer said he would honor my warranty if I installed headers or an intake as long as they don't cause the problem I want fixed under warranty. I don't want a CEL all the time. I don't know if they'd be okay with the tune. I was going to take one step at a time
Old 05-21-2010, 09:52 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

which headers? Its an 02 sensor issue
Old 05-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

It may take a few days but you almost certainly will get a CEL for the rear 02 sensors. Their job is to monitor the health of the catalytic converters and the cats that come with long tube headers are too far downstream to keep the rear o2 sensors happy.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:55 PM
lockman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it usually is the o2 sensors but it doesn't happen all the time and you have to have it turned off in order to have the cel go away. it's pretty easy to do with Hp tuners.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by pewter99
which headers? Its an 02 sensor issue
Does the brand make a difference?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiboy
Does the brand make a difference?
NO...what makes the difference is that the parameters the rear o2 sensors are expecting are not met by the relocation of the cats so far away from their OEM position (take much longer to heat up) and the fact that aftermarket cats are not as efficient at scrubbing the exhaust.

Most tuners will simply tune out the error codes for the rear o2's that set the CEL. The conditions are still met for the CEL but the computer is told to ignore those conditions.

I run my 2009 without rear o2 sensors (no reason for them to be there) and I have all reporting for the rear o2s tuned out. No CEL here.

My rear o2 sensors...

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 05-21-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read that after headers are installed you usually get a CEL. Can this be shut off without a tune? I intend on getting cats also.

The reason I ask is my local dealer said he would honor my warranty if I installed headers or an intake as long as they don't cause the problem I want fixed under warranty. I don't want a CEL all the time. I don't know if they'd be okay with the tune. I was going to take one step at a time
Your dealer is basically quoting the Magnuson Law.

Don't assume the CEL is related to the O2 sensor. There is a good chance but you should have the code read to confirm. But it also could be related to something completely different.

Do you have the front 02 sensors hooked up? What about the rears? The rear 02 sensors only function is to verify the cats are working.

Last edited by Mez; 05-21-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:30 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
NO...what makes the difference is that the parameters the rear o2 sensors are expecting are not met by the relocation of the cats so far away from their OEM position (take much longer to heat up) and the fact that aftermarket cats are not as efficient at scrubbing the exhaust.

Most tuners will simply tune out the error codes for the rear o2's that set the CEL. The conditions are still met for the CEL but the computer is told to ignore those conditions.

I run my 2009 without rear o2 sensors (no reason for them to be there) and I have all reporting for the rear o2s tuned out. No CEL here.

My rear o2 sensors...
No rear O2 sensors here. No need for them. No CEL either.

San
Old 05-22-2010, 12:24 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Anything you change to the engine that affects airflow requires a tune, no excpetions. Deleting cats and rear O2's requires a tune. Brand is irrelevant. This topic pops up from time to time and so does my explanation because internet myths need to be kept in check. Your engine maintains stoic a/f ratio within a -14/+24% range and when you go outside that range you get a CEL. Anyone and everyone who changes an aircleaner or exhaust parts changes the airflow and thus changes the part throttle fueling. If a person says he installed headers and didnt get a CEL, that doesnt mean his car is running correctly, it means he can be at +23% and way off on WOT fueling so its far from optimum even without a CEL.

So the reason you have the CEL is because it is running lean at part throttle and as a result of that, you are running grossly rich at WOT. Long term it damages the car to not have the fueling right.

The tune will violate the warranty. If thats important to an owner, dont mod.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Thanks to all!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 PM
PAKirk
Racer

Can you run without the rear O2 sensors on a car that hasn't been tuned (yet)? Any drawbacks/problems, other than the CEL? Do they actually serve to adjust A/F at all, or just report temps?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:21 PM
WhItEKnIgHt23
Racer

couldn't you use O2 simulators?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Top Flight
Racer

seems like a headache for the addition of headers.............will the stealership be able to tell there is a tune of the car?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

never tried it on a corvette, but on some cars you can use a threaded spacer on the rear o2's. that tricks them into seeing less flow and thinking you still have the stock cats.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by WhItEKnIgHt23
couldn't you use O2 simulators?
Where can you get these?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Anything you change to the engine that affects airflow requires a tune, no excpetions. Deleting cats and rear O2's requires a tune. Brand is irrelevant. This topic pops up from time to time and so does my explanation because internet myths need to be kept in check. Your engine maintains stoic a/f ratio within a -14/+24% range and when you go outside that range you get a CEL. Anyone and everyone who changes an aircleaner or exhaust parts changes the airflow and thus changes the part throttle fueling. If a person says he installed headers and didnt get a CEL, that doesnt mean his car is running correctly, it means he can be at +23% and way off on WOT fueling so its far from optimum even without a CEL.

So the reason you have the CEL is because it is running lean at part throttle and as a result of that, you are running grossly rich at WOT. Long term it damages the car to not have the fueling right.

Spin, you mostly give good explainations for things.
I just put Kooks LT w/HF cats and xpipe (all ceramic)and verry happy.
What DAMAGES do you mean so I can do something about it bfore it happens. I also like my Flowmasters to. Vararam is next, say a month or so.
TIA
David
Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Where can you get these?
A lot harder to find now than they used to be, since one of the companies which was a big player in the 02 sim business, got hit pretty hard by the EPA.

I can remember when these were very easily found from a number of the catalogue aftermarket car performance companies.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...aa/casper.html

http://www.fquick.com/blog/Caspers_E...by_the_EPA/467

Get notified of new replies

To CEL after adding headers

Old 05-24-2010, 02:48 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
A lot harder to find now than they used to be, since one of the companies which was a big player in the 02 sim business, got hit pretty hard by the EPA.

I can remember when these were very easily found from a number of the catalogue aftermarket car performance companies.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...aa/casper.html

http://www.fquick.com/blog/Caspers_E...by_the_EPA/467
that is some
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I think that the OP's main concern is protecting the integrity of his powertrain warranty.

The OP been told by his service department in no uncertain terms that if he "tunes" the vehicle, his warranty is toast.

I believe that the OP lacks an understanding of what the definition of a "tune" is, at least according to GM.

With that said; a "tune" would be defined as changing any of the original factory GM PCM or TCM calibrations that the vehicle left the factory with.

That of course would include simply shutting of the rear O2 sensors simply to defeat the inevitable CEL that would ultimately occur because the AFR MAP tables were not recalibrated to recognize the new high flow intake and/or exhaust.

So the bottom line is that if change any of the original ECU calibrations your 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty is voided.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

Guy:
Can you be more specific as to how the engine would be damaged from simply installing LT Headers and NOT recalibrating the AFR MAP tables?

Quick Reply: CEL after adding headers