C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on tuning/headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM
PAKirk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on tuning/headers

I'm located in the Lehigh Valley area of PA. That puts me relatively close to Vette Doctors, CoW, Cartek, and ECS (any others I'm missing?). I have a 2008 Z51 6sp with NPP, and just purchased LG street series headers/x-pipe/high flow cats for it. I have no other engine mods, and none planned at this time. The headers are not installed yet, but I plan to do those soon. I do not race the car; mostly just spirited street driving, though I may do a HPDE track day here and there if I can.

My understanding is that, typically, header installation will eventually result in a CEL. A tune will get rid of the CEL, as well as get the most out of the new headers. As such, I plan on getting a tune as part of the process once I have them installed. Here's where my questions come in:

-I'm assuming that all of the listed tuners will be able to deliver a tune that's comparable to each other, regardless of dyno or mail order, given that the car will only have one real mod on it, correct?
-Is a 160* t-stat required for any/every tune?
-Should I plan on driving to a tuner for a dyno tune, or will a mail order tune suffice? Will I really see any advantage to a dyno tune with just headers on the car vs. a mail order one? Seems like a mail order tune could be cheaper by a magnitude of ~$300, plus my gas and drive time, which is a substantial price difference, especially if there are no real gains to be had vs. dyno with just headers.
-Since some of the tuners are a couple of hours away, is it better for me (both in terms of time and money) to wait for them all to come to Carlisle and run specials, assuming I go the dyno tune route?
-If I do end up getting a dyno tune, and do it at Carlisle, will I be hurting the car at all by driving around for 2-3 months with headers on it if it's throwing a CEL until I get the tune?

I think that's about all I've got right now for questions; thanks so much for any advice you guys/gals can offer!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by PAKirk
I'm located in the Lehigh Valley area of PA. That puts me relatively close to Vette Doctors, CoW, Cartek, and ECS (any others I'm missing?). I have a 2008 Z51 6sp with NPP, and just purchased LG street series headers/x-pipe/high flow cats for it. I have no other engine mods, and none planned at this time. The headers are not installed yet, but I plan to do those soon. I do not race the car; mostly just spirited street driving, though I may do a HPDE track day here and there if I can.

My understanding is that, typically, header installation will eventually result in a CEL. A tune will get rid of the CEL, as well as get the most out of the new headers. As such, I plan on getting a tune as part of the process once I have them installed. Here's where my questions come in:

-I'm assuming that all of the listed tuners will be able to deliver a tune that's comparable to each other, regardless of dyno or mail order, given that the car will only have one real mod on it, correct?

Well, I wouldn't say all tuners are created equal, but you did list off the more commonly used tuners of the N.E. and I'm sure that's for a reason. Take note of things like who is at events like HPDE's since you listed that, what kind of proven results have been noted, and so on.

Not required, but generally suggested for optimal performance.

-Should I plan on driving to a tuner for a dyno tune, or will a mail order tune suffice? Will I really see any advantage to a dyno tune with just headers on the car vs. a mail order one? Seems like a mail order tune could be cheaper by a magnitude of ~$300, plus my gas and drive time, which is a substantial price difference, especially if there are no real gains to be had vs. dyno with just headers.

A mail order tune will will definately give you great results, you can check out our specials going on now for $149 in C5/C6 scan and tune, but a logged tune in person is always best. We also offer what we call a "street tune" for those who really do not need an extravagant tune, but want the vehicle checked over thoroughly. This keeps expenses down being that we charge $295 for this service.

-Since some of the tuners are a couple of hours away, is it better for me (both in terms of time and money) to wait for them all to come to Carlisle and run specials, assuming I go the dyno tune route?

Being that we are the only tuner that offers dyno tuning at Carlisle, I would say yes and no.. the reason why is yes the cost is less, but being that I tune over 100 cars at each Carlisle event, we simply cannot put the in depth time into the tune that we would here. Hence why we charge less. That does not mean you are getting a poor quality tune, but time spent is time spent.

-If I do end up getting a dyno tune, and do it at Carlisle, will I be hurting the car at all by driving around for 2-3 months with headers on it if it's throwing a CEL until I get the tune?

You will not be optimally tuned, but it will not hurt the car other then the annoying light on the dash.

I think that's about all I've got right now for questions; thanks so much for any advice you guys/gals can offer!

Feel free to call the shop if you wish to discuss this in length.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
PAKirk
Racer

Thanks for the quick and candid response, Doug!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Thanks for the quick and candid response, Doug!
Anytime thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I'm usually here pretty late... Call any time...

I'm usually here pretty late... Call any time...

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW
Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Give Frank a call over at PSI in Fogelsville. Install there and then throw it right on the Dyno. PM me and I'll meet ya there I'm always looking for an excuse to raid his beer stash.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 AM
PAKirk
Racer

Originally Posted by Beatitt
Give Frank a call over at PSI in Fogelsville. Install there and then throw it right on the Dyno. PM me and I'll meet ya there I'm always looking for an excuse to raid his beer stash.
PSI? Not familiar with them, but that's real close. I'll do a search; do you have any more info on them?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
articvett
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent you a pm
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Feel free to give me a call. You are not too far from me.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Keep in mind that you will not pass PA emissions with a CEL on.

When I was considering my mods I found the best reported results were with a good CAI (Callaway Honker and Vararam are the most popular. I went with Callaway based on the reported qc issues with Vararam), 160 T-stat, LT headers and a dyno tune. I was very happy with the work perfromed by ECS on my car. I picked up substantial gains with no driveability issues. In fact, my car used to pop really bad on decel before the work was done and after I had no pops on deceleration. I know some like those pops but they annoyed the heck out of me.

The ECS guys are outstanding and took a lot of time to explain what they were doing. I even added a modified TB later and asked Doug if I needed a re-tune. He told me probably not but stop by and he would check. He spent considerable time checking the tune and when he was done I asked him how much I owed him and he would not take any additional money. I am now considering a SC and the only shop I would use is ECS. They earned a customer for life Great group of guys.

Now if they just offered financing, My vette would be in shop now getting a SC!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM
PAKirk
Racer

Thanks a lot for the responses and PMs! I appreciate the advice and referrals.

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Keep in mind that you will not pass PA emissions with a CEL on.
Yep, I know; that's why I got the car inspected last week and held off a little to install the headers, just in case

I'm not really worried about the CAI right now. Maybe I'll pick one up at Carlisle if someone is running a deal. If I need to retune, so be it.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

PSI? Not familiar with them, but that's real close. I'll do a search; do you have any more info on them?
PM Sent
Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 PM
PAKirk
Racer

Thanks everyone for the PMs! My inbox actually got full and got hosed, so sorry if I didn't get back to you, but I appreciate all the input and advice!

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on tuning/headers

Quick Reply: Questions on tuning/headers