C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:50 AM
iflyjets86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering issues

tried lowering my car tonight, have WCC bolts. All but one bolt was literally stuck solid! ended up breaking 3 10mm sockets trying to loosen these things. had the car on jack stands, and used a floor jack to relieve all the pressure off the suspension. Tried breaker fluid, even heated up the leaf spring and these things wouldnt budge. anyone run into this problem? if so what did you do to remedy the issue? Again, all weight was off the suspension and they wouldnt budge. spent 3 hrs with a friend trying to loosen it with no success. perhaps i am missing something? any info is much appreciated. thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did you place the jack to relieve the pressure on the suspension? From the way you are wording it it sounds like you placed it under the A-Arm and jacked it up. If that is the case then you are actually making the problem worse. You need to place the jack under the spring itself as far to the end as you can that will actually remove the pressure.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

spray WD-40 on the rubber bushing on the lowering bolt
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adam205348
where did you place the jack to relieve the pressure on the suspension? From the way you are wording it it sounds like you placed it under the A-Arm and jacked it up. If that is the case then you are actually making the problem worse. You need to place the jack under the spring itself as far to the end as you can that will actually remove the pressure.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:53 PM
iflyjets86
Instructor

thanks for the responses guys. i put the jack on the spring itself closest to the rotor. we sprayed some breaker fluid but with no results. The bushings arent touching anything, so i dont believe that is the problem. Any other inputs? thanks guys
Old 05-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I know this sounds dumb but I've done it myself...
Are you turning it the right way? Loosening and not tightening?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 PM
iflyjets86
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whisky
I know this sounds dumb but I've done it myself...
Are you turning it the right way? Loosening and not tightening?
ha not dumb at all. and i tried both ways. was getting desperate. anyone else?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
ddub12
Advanced

did you install them? if not, maybe the previous owner used loctite (i don't know why, but it's possible)
Old 05-13-2010, 08:04 PM
iflyjets86
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddub12
did you install them? if not, maybe the previous owner used loctite (i don't know why, but it's possible)
they are the stock bolts. the car spent two winters in chicago (does not show any signs of salt). maybe they are rusted on? thanks for the input, keep it coming please. I want to lower my car!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you live in Milwaukee, bring it to my house.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try channel lock or vice grip around the large metal part of the bushing below...whatever you do dont let it break off unless you have the tool to drill it out..they must have siezed...i worked on a fellas car whose previous owner had broken it off...the used leafs are cheap enough so we bought one for him, no bolts
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinfast
try channel lock or vice grip around the large metal part of the bushing below...whatever you do dont let it break off unless you have the tool to drill it out..they must have siezed...i worked on a fellas car whose previous owner had broken it off...the used leafs are cheap enough so we bought one for him, no bolts

I have had to do this. It should work for you. Should.
Work the bolt slightly in both directions until free.
Use more penetrant if needed.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 PM
iflyjets86
Instructor

Originally Posted by timd38
If you live in Milwaukee, bring it to my house.
thanks but im in south florida!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 PM
iflyjets86
Instructor

Originally Posted by drivinfast
i thought about that but decided it might not be a good idea because the bushing might just twist off the metal base. could this happen? thanks for all the input guys!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Take the shock out, put an impact socket on the bolt with a 1/2 drive ratchet and work the bolt both ways and keep applying penetrant...I know it will work because I had to do it on 3 of the 4 bolts on my car!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM
iflyjets86
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Take the shock out, put an impact socket on the bolt with a 1/2 drive ratchet and work the bolt both ways and keep applying penetrant...I know it will work because I had to do it on 3 of the 4 bolts on my car!

how long did it take you?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a similar problem, you have to use penetrating oil over a couple of days. Spray it then drive it, the heat and vibration gets the oil down in threads. It loosened up after that.

Get notified of new replies

To lowering issues

Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 PM
iflyjets86
Instructor

Originally Posted by Beatitt
I had a similar problem, you have to use penetrating oil over a couple of days. Spray it then drive it, the heat and vibration gets the oil down in threads. It loosened up after that.
good idea! ill keep everyone updated. thanks for the input everyone
Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by iflyjets86
how long did it take you?
It was a good idea for myself as it made me decide to buy Billsteins. I tried lowereing the car when I was performing the alignment (I was trying to play with the setup due to wheel hop issues) I couldn't break the bolts loose? put some penetrant on all four bolts after the alignment and drove the car for a week or so. Well I broke my wrench next time I tried and figured I would go ahead and buy the shocks and try and get them out then as the alignment tweaking did very little to help my hop issue.
Switching out the shocks and lowereing the car in my garage was very easy, very fast, took my friend Mark and I about 2 1/2 - 3 hours and could do it all a second time in an 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Oh, cut the rear bushings while your add it, I used a sawzaw and a small hand saw.

Last edited by Neumonic2002; 05-15-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
iflyjets86
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
It was a good idea for myself as it made me decide to buy Billsteins. I tried lowereing the car when I was performing the alignment (I was trying to play with the setup due to wheel hop issues) I couldn't break the bolts loose? put some penetrant on all four bolts after the alignment and drove the car for a week or so. Well I broke my wrench next time I tried and figured I would go ahead and buy the shocks and try and get them out then as the alignment tweaking did very little to help my hop issue.
Switching out the shocks and lowereing the car in my garage was very easy, very fast, took my friend Mark and I about 2 1/2 - 3 hours and could do it all a second time in an 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Oh, cut the rear bushings while your add it, I used a sawzaw and a small hand saw.

sprayed the bolts, will probably do so once a day for a couple days. I have the WCC bolts so i dont think there will be a need to cut the bushings. wish me luck. thanks for all the input everyone!

Quick Reply: lowering issues