C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:23 PM
oldboats
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column recall

Regarding the recall for the cable in the steering column. I have an 05 and received a recall notice last week to have it done at no charge. It's in the shop today being corrected. There was also a form with the recall notice for reimbursement if you have already had it done and you paid for it.

Does anyone know anything about the shifter in an automatic being stuck in park? My 05 does it occasionally and I have to rock the car to get the stick to move out of park. My dealer doesn't know what it is and is waiting for GM to let them know the fix.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Antoine137
Advanced

I also got the recall letter last week and had the clip installed yesterday at no charge.

As for the 'stuck in park'...I have experienced the same thing intermittently, and I have found that if I pull the shifter to the left as I shift, it let's me shift out of park. If other people have a better solution, please share so I know too.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 PM
kev101
Heel & Toe

yeah i just got my letter too..
Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Ubas79
Cruising

I have an 06 vette & I have had my service active handling light turn on several times & each time I take my car into the dealer it seems to get a temporary fix!!! After reading the article I called my dealer & they said that the recall doesn't apply to my vin # WTF???? What can I do now???
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
GregC6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they did my recall but the light still comes on, on the same turn/road as before
Old 10-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Barry Silliphant
Instructor

Hey Red,
My 05 needed a clip installed when the active handling went heywire and the brakes started coming on by themselves.
this was 2 years ago and I had to pay a bunch for the work. I don't have a telescoping wheel and never got the recall letter.
Do you think I have a refund chance?
Barry

Last edited by Barry Silliphant; 10-09-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is something bout a refund.Did you get a SWPS? I gave up and ordered 1 for my car.The clips and other recalls are BS and do nothing.I've delt with this for over 2 yrs and 3 sets of rt front pads.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 PM
gmcdaniel
1st Gear

Default Active Handling System Recall

I took my car in last week and got a new top but they couldn't fix the active handling system problem. They put the clip in last week and I thought the problem was fixed but that not the case kept doing the same thing. I took the car back to the dealr today and there telling me its the wheel position sensor went bad and thats not covered under the recall and its going to cost me $385.00 to replace. Motor trend had an article about the recall and GM said they would "peform the repairs (likely involving the wheel position sensor or its conector) free of charge". GM need to stand behind their product before somebody gets hurt or killed. If the clip don't work and they find that it is the sensor is bad then they need to stand by there word and replace it.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Fredster 6.0
Advanced

Default Recall Issue

Hows it going fellas? I just wanted to give an update of an incident that occured with me regarding the recall with the brakes and car being pulled. A month or so ago I was leaving work and my active handling came on and applied the brakes to my car in the middle of an intersection (not cool when staring at headlights heading your way from the drivers side window...lol) I was lucky and pulled the car off to the shoulder very carefully and called my service advisor. Bottom line thanks you guys posting your events and issues and ways to fix it I printed out those responses by different ppl and printed out a NHTSA stating the problem and took to my advisor. He spoke to his manager and they called GM. My car was in the shop for about 2 days until they heard back from GM. GM decided to fix it but I ended up paying a deductible of $250, which for me was a relief instead of paying the amount it cost them to repair it. Plus its like a warranty if it happens again. My service advisor told me that it had to with a couple of sensors in the steering column and it needed to be completely replaced with the updated ones.

What this tells me is that GM has found an answer to the problem and are willing to work with us in getting it resolved. As for getting it done completely on GM's side i'm not to sure GM would spend over 13 to 14 hundred on each car (thats about how much my bill would of been).

I will post updates to see if this solution worked.

PM me if you would like to see the work receipt. I dont have it scanned up yet but if requested I can do so.

Last edited by Fredster 6.0; 01-03-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fredster 6.0
Hows it going fellas? I just wanted to give an update of an incident that occured with me regarding the recall with the brakes and car being pulled. A month or so ago I was leaving work and my active handling came on and applied the brakes to my car in the middle of an intersection (not cool when staring at headlights heading your way from the drivers side window...lol) I was lucky and pulled the car off to the shoulder very carefully and called my service advisor. Bottom line thanks you guys posting your events and issues and ways to fix it I printed out those responses by different ppl and printed out a NHTSA stating the problem and took to my advisor. He spoke to his manager and they called GM. My car was in the shop for about 2 days until they heard back from GM. GM decided to fix it but I ended up paying a deductible of $250, which for me was a relief instead of paying the amount it cost them to repair it. Plus its like a warranty if it happens again. My service advisor told me that it had to with a couple of sensors in the steering column and it needed to be completely replaced with the updated ones.

What this tells me is that GM has found an answer to the problem and are willing to work with us in getting it resolved. As for getting it done completely on GM's side i'm not to sure GM would spend over 13 to 14 hundred on each car (thats about how much my bill would of been).

I will post updates to see if this solution worked.

PM me if you would like to see the work receipt. I dont have it scanned up yet but if requested I can do so.
That is pure BS. I just put a new sensor in my colume.Part was 44.00 and I did it myself in a hour.SWPS is what it was and it didn't fix mine. I bought a YAW sensor,goes behind the radio 52.00.That didn't do it. Come to find out I had to reset ABS with a Snaop-on Modis.That seemed to fix it. So I'll sell the 2 sensors I've got for 1000.00 back to GM.Hope they fixed your problem but that is pure BS 1200-1400 to fix.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Fredster 6.0
Advanced

Well I know its BS about how much was supposedly quoted, but thats the reality they can charge that much regardless of what the situation. They also changed my passenger airbag sensor, for what reason i dont know, but as for the 250, i prefer to pay that and have them fix my car, HOPEFULLY, have a rental while the car is in the shop and have it fixed by the dealer so if the problem ever occurs again I can take it back to them and they will fix it without any questions.

But I will definitely be giving monthly or bi-weekly updates. I drive my car everyday so if it does have another incident we will all know if this fix worked or not.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Keep us informed.They probably replaced the box under the pass seat and broke the sensor.I was gonna do that 1 next.But the Modis reset everything for me.I couldn't get my dealer to do **** except wanna charge me to try and fix it.The only thing I know is evrytime they touch my car they break things.Screwed up my roof recall twice.And that is just the beginning of thier work.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 PM
GEECOREY
3rd Gear

my 2006 does not have telescopic and the Service Active Handling light come on as well, called the dealer, a few days ago, no open recalls, and my rear wheel seized the other night when i was parking the car at 5mph, like someone pulled the emergency brake for a moment,
Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Ismael
4th Gear

Sounds very scary what everyone is experiencing but also what i am hearing about the dealership either they don't know about the recall, did not fix the problems and so on. I myself was very scared after taking my car to the track and my right brake started to lock up on me. But i did use the active handling and put it on the competitive mode. So far it seems to work out for me when i have it on this mode all the time. Stay safe and i would like to hear more about couple of guys resetting the abs or something to offset the active handling.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
SideWinderVette
Navigator

i have had this problem with my 05 but have not had brakes turn on and it is only when going over the steep incline at work... wonder if i should bother with this as i have not recieved any letter
Old 07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Ismael
4th Gear

I would call your nearest dealer and tell them about a recall on 05 vettes. They can check your vin and for sure they have to take care of it. I hope everything works out for you. I did it for the peace of mind. Also they might replace your new roof. Apparently, roofs are flying off for some reason. I am also getting a new roof as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Trublu01
Advanced

Isn't the Service Active Handling message for 05's that have tilt and telescopic steering? All they call for is a little piece of orange plastic clip crap that costs like $3.00, that inserts under the steering column between a connector, and the message still comes on once in a while.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled

Old 10-29-2011, 01:00 AM
lavett
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default new roof? yay! for you!

Originally Posted by AD2VET
I received my "official" safety recall notice in the mail yesterday for a replacement top and the AH issue:

"Your Chevrolet dealer will install a new design roof panel, and inspect the wire connection in the steering column, and if necessary, install an additional clip to secure the wire connection. These services will be performed for you at no charge. Because of service scheduling requirements, it is likely that you dealer will need your vehicle longer than the actual inspection and service correction of approximately 2 hours to 2 hours and 45 minutes.

You should contact your Chevrolet dealer to arrange a service appointment as soon as possible."
WOW! a new roof , All the dealer did to mine was some adjustments, and its been no problem. I shoulda went to your dealer !
Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 PM
karintyra1
Advanced

Not sure where you are located but when I took my 05 in for the recall they also put on a brand new roof ... they actually had to order it in and paint it before I could drop it off to get both recalls taken care of ....

now if they only had a "recall" instead of a "service bulletin" for the harmonic balancer ... I found out yesterday that mine has to be replaced ... and the "tune" that harmonic balancer is playing is $1,000.00 ...
Old 11-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Get the balencer done somewhere else.That is way!!!! to much $.

Quick Reply: 2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled