C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMT Tire flat

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Ernest
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default EMT Tire flat

Only has 1.000 miles. Quote from goodyear ....$ 75.00 to repair......picked up a sheetmetal screw . Ideas ?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Print the warranty. Bring it to the Goodyear store. The repair will be free.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Run Flat Warranty.pdf (1.26 MB, 197 views)
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The quoted Warranty is good ONLY on the NEW tires on a new car from a Dealer for limited time and mileage, not on replacement tires unless you purchased a road hazard warranty when you bought the tire.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 PM
c5creech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Rated

Here's the problem with fixing a Run-Flat...the question is: is it still "speed rated?" I have had the same problem on both C5 & C6 Vettes I have owned...and the Chevy dealership and Goodyear have concluded that I had to replace the tire(s) in question if I wanted to be 100% sure they were still "speed rated." Obviously, if the run-flat has been "patched" they are not going to back it up if you have an accident at "high speed" with a patched tire. Sorry, that's pretty much where all of us are...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

This was addressed by GM and Goodyear when the C5s first came out. If a Goodyear tire is patched by a Goodyear EMT certified tire tech it will retain its speed rating. Even if it doesn't retain its speed rating who cares. How many places are you going to be driving 200 mph? I had this come up one time when I was participating in a parking lot Autocross at a Sam's Club. Somewhere in the lot I picked up a nail and one of my R Comp Z rated tires went flat. The @@@ Sam's Club tire shop would not repair the tire. They gave me all sorts of mumbo jumbo about legal issues. I ended up getting somebody to take me down the street to another tire shop. I asked the guy at the desk if they would repair the tire and he said sure, leave it here and come back in an hour. When I came back the repaired tire was waiting for me and the guy said no charge. No legal issue. No record of a repair nothing you could hang your hat on except the tire did its job and I ended up with overall FTD.

Bill
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I read this thread and then went to two Discount Tire shops, an NTB store and lastly a Goodyear store. NTB said no way they would repair an EMT, Goodyear said that once they repaired it, it would no longer be speed rated and there would be no warranty or any type of coverage on the tire at all, one discount shop made me uneasy. They didn't really seem to have a grasp of the situation. I ended up at a second Discount Tire where the manager was happy to show me the padded jacks and pucks they use, the method of repair, and a display of how it all works. Above all that...NO CHARGE !! Discount Tire has always been my store of choice.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I did this. They said "no deal".
Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I did this. They said "no deal".
Is the shop certified by Goodyear to repair EMTs? That is the key question. A fair number of Goodyear shops are not certified to mount/dismount or repair a Goodyear EMT. They don't see that many of them so only a few shops get certified. Make sure you are talking to a certified shop and then call the Goodyear EMT number listed in the warranty book if you have a problem with the terms of the warranty.

As the warranty book attached to a post above indicates a Goodyear speed rated tire can maintain its speed rating if repaired properly by somebody who has been trained and certified in doing the repair. Joe grease monkey can't do it.

There are two Goodyear stores in my area and only one of them is certified to work on EMTs.

Bill
Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I agree with Bill - if the puncture is in the tread area, and if the repair is done properly by removing the tire and using a plug/patch the tire will retain it's speed rating.

Like Aerovette said, take it your local DISCOUNT TIRE - they repair them for FREE!!!

I've had several punctures and Discount Tire has repaired them and they lasted for the life of the tire. I also have tracked a repaired tire with no problem.

Here's a Goodyear website that talks about what a repairable puncture is:

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov...e/psb_9811.cfm

You'd think Goodyear would be the best place to take a Goodyear tire to be repaired, but it's NOT!!

Take it to Discount Tire and they'll take good care of you. And I bet you'll give them your business in the future!!!

Bob
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by c5creech
Here's the problem with fixing a Run-Flat...the question is: is it still "speed rated?" I have had the same problem on both C5 & C6 Vettes I have owned...and the Chevy dealership and Goodyear have concluded that I had to replace the tire(s) in question if I wanted to be 100% sure they were still "speed rated." Obviously, if the run-flat has been "patched" they are not going to back it up if you have an accident at "high speed" with a patched tire. Sorry, that's pretty much where all of us are...
My car is a drywall screw magnet. I have never paid for silly repairs to these tires. I plugged them myself in my garage. As far as speed rating, I have done 160-180 at least two dozen times with 3 plugs in two tires and my final crazy pass at 201mph, GPS confirmed, with plugs in the tires.

Plug the tire and forget it because you arent going to do such stupid things as I have done in the past like that. Even if you did, the plugs arent comng out. I have a plug in my Mickey Thompsons that caught a screw on the day I put them on the car. No issues and they are near the end of life at 18 months old.

I dont think a tire company is going to 'back it up' with anything if you have an accident with perfect tires.

Get notified of new replies

To EMT Tire flat

Quick Reply: EMT Tire flat