C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers Installed, expected CEL but not these codes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
95blklsc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers Installed, expected CEL but not these codes...

So I got the headers in this week, went pretty uneventful. It wasn't too hard of a job, one night pulling the stock stuff out, and one putting the new stuff in. I'm not new to the mod game btw, I've done much more involved work without any issues.

I EXPECTED to see an 0430 and 0420 code for cat efficiency since I don't have a tune yet. I did put some o2 spacers for the secondary o2's since I have read that it can prevent the code sometimes.

So my snap on microscan obd 2 scan tool does not seem to work on the corvette. I have had my car chip installed in the obd port for a while so I could log long term and short fuel trim on both banks before and after the headers to see if there were any major changes.

So there weren't any major changes to the fuel trims, thats good.

I realized that the car chip will also show me any trouble codes, so here are the codes it sees on the car.

P0104- Mass air flow circuit intermittent

I didn't even touch the MAF but I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning and be sure all of the connections are fine.

P0403- This is an EGR code, we don't even have EGR, how is this possible?

P3065- I can't find anything on this code, any idea? The program says its a manufacturer controlled DTC and it probably relates to fuel and air metering or axillary emissions. It could be related to one of the other codes.

So any ideas? I'm going to give everything a once over to see if I mistakenly unplugged something. I'm also going to put it up on jacks to ensure nothing is melted or damaged from the headers.

Also, the codes didn't show up until 5 or 6 driving cycles and about 150 miles after the headers were installed.

Last edited by 95blklsc; 04-19-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
95blklsc
Racer

quick follow up... I just took a walk out to the garage. I gave everything a quick look from the top. All of the harness' and connectors look fine, nothing disconnected, burned, melted, or loose. I took the drop light and mirror and looked at the harness' along the firewall, again everything looked fine.

This is just weird, I hope it is something stupid that I'm overlooking and nothing major. I just don't see how it could be anything major. The car still runs and drives great as well, no noticeable side effects.

***UPDATE***
I verified by the time stamp on the CEL on the car chip that it came on 5 minutes after a touch free car wash. I cleared it tonight and I'll see if it comes back. The car wash was a high pressure car wash, but it was not an undercarriage wash, I don't expect that much water got under the hood. But it seems like a possibility.

Last edited by 95blklsc; 04-19-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM
articvett
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put my headers on over the weekend and so far no problems.When i finished i started the car and realized i forgot to install the dipstick make sure you did.Make sure you check all the wiring for the 02's because i know the were a pain to route.Good luck let us know what you find.

You should also check to see if the computer got wet.

Last edited by articvett; 04-20-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
95blklsc
Racer

So I cleared the code this morning.......didn't come back and I have a few driving cycles on it.

Once the code was set the car chip was showing a occurrence of the code every time the car was started. I'm not sure if this was because once it was set it recorded it every time the car was started.

I'll keep this thread updated.........I'm still thinking it was car wash related since it showed up immediately after. It could have been the water or the air drying screwing with the maf somehow and triggering multiple codes.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like you have a very simular problem that Im having. This may sound strange but,,,,When you engine is COLD, attach a digital volt meter directly to the battery terminals and have someone start the engine.

Carefully observe the battery voltage during the cranking event. If it drops below 10 VDC (or lower),,thats most likely your issue. If your battery is weak, it will cause all sorts of weird crap to happen.

Give that a shot and see if thats an issue. You can try charging the battery and see if it solves the issue but, if the voltage drops low during cranking, replace the battery.

My low battery caused the Instrument Panel Clusted to freak out and light almost every warning light.

Bill
Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Should not be car wash related. Water just dont get up high enough
to reach the connectors. Maybe your MAF plug was loose. If it goes away and stays away your ok. Sometimes after a Header install the O2 sensors
will act up a little down the road. A good tune should be the next order od business.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
95blklsc
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Sounds like you have a very simular problem that Im having. This may sound strange but,,,,When you engine is COLD, attach a digital volt meter directly to the battery terminals and have someone start the engine.

Carefully observe the battery voltage during the cranking event. If it drops below 10 VDC (or lower),,thats most likely your issue. If your battery is weak, it will cause all sorts of weird crap to happen.

Give that a shot and see if thats an issue. You can try charging the battery and see if it solves the issue but, if the voltage drops low during cranking, replace the battery.

My low battery caused the Instrument Panel Clusted to freak out and light almost every warning light.

Bill
That could be it. I had a dead battery over the winter from sitting for a few weeks without the maintainer on. It has started up fine, but I'm sure some life was taken out of the battery. I have a red top ready to go in, just hasn't yet.

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
Should not be car wash related. Water just dont get up high enough
to reach the connectors. Maybe your MAF plug was loose. If it goes away and stays away your ok. Sometimes after a Header install the O2 sensors
will act up a little down the road. A good tune should be the next order od business.
I don't think water reached it but it was VERY coincidental that the CEL came on right after the car wash and the headers have already been in for about 150-200 miles at that point. Also, I don't have any 02 or cat related codes. I have some spacers on the rear o2's that usually fool the rear ones enough to prevent a CEL.

I didn't touch the MAF connector or anything near there. If it comes back I will be pulling the connector and resetting it.

I've already contacted Chuck at CoW about doing some tuning in the near future. I just don't want to tune anything with an underlying problem.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Don't worry about that!

Originally Posted by 95blklsc
That could be it. I had a dead battery over the winter from sitting for a few weeks without the maintainer on. It has started up fine, but I'm sure some life was taken out of the battery. I have a red top ready to go in, just hasn't yet.

I don't think water reached it but it was VERY coincidental that the CEL came on right after the car wash and the headers have already been in for about 150-200 miles at that point. Also, I don't have any 02 or cat related codes. I have some spacers on the rear o2's that usually fool the rear ones enough to prevent a CEL.

I didn't touch the MAF connector or anything near there. If it comes back I will be pulling the connector and resetting it.

I've already contacted Chuck at CoW about doing some tuning in the near future. I just don't want to tune anything with an underlying problem.
Don't worry about that cause whatever it is, I'll find it and fix it for you.

Don't worry.

Chuck CoW
Old 04-20-2010, 02:54 PM
95blklsc
Racer

Thanks Chuck, I e-mailed you yesterday about the cost and a few details about doing the tune. I'm going to be trying to solve this problem (I think I have) and trying to get my hands on a Vararam and 160 tstat according to your direction. I will probably be looking to do the tune over the next couple of months.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
PAKirk
Racer

What headers did you install?

Reading up all I can on potential issues, since I'm considering taking advantage of LG's current sale!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 PM
95blklsc
Racer

The JW headers, they fit and look great. I just couldn't pass up the deal.. zero complaints
Old 04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Don't worry about that cause whatever it is, I'll find it and fix it for you.

Don't worry.

Chuck CoW
Chuck to the rescue. You are the best!
BTW,
Chuck, I pm'd you back about the 3.73's and the 3200 Yank with my existing tune from you.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
95blklsc
Racer

well a few more driving cycles between lunch and coming home from work, still no CEL...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 AM
95blklsc
Racer

Just wanted to post an update. No codes at all still. It must have been car wash related, even if it was just from the air dryer. I have driven over 300 miles no CEL like last time and still no O2 codes. Those o2 sensor spacers (spark plug non-foulers) REALLY do work on the rear o2's for keeping a cat efficiency code from popping up when you have aftermarket cats or none at all!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:06 PM
sep1234
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this thread, because I was searching on P0104. I just received my 2005 C6 back from the body shop. They gave the car a good wash. I do not have a date-time stamp, because I pulled the code with Autotap using my Palm Tungsten C. I cleared the code, and it has not come back.

I believe it IS related to a high-pressure wash. I had this exact scenario last year, when I picked up my C6 from the body shop. This second time confirms to me that a high-pressure wash can cause a P0104 error code. Each time, I have checked the MAF electrical connections and air duct clamps.

I also have a P2000 error code, which arises simultaneously with the P0104 following a high-pressure wash. I will search other threads for the P2000.

Jamie

Last edited by sep1234; 05-07-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Couple of questions:
What does JW stand for?
What brand and/or part number are those sparkplug non-foulers?
and how does the car run with just the header install? Some detail here would be good. Thanks

PS: do you have cats or no and what model year?

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 05-07-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers Installed, expected CEL but not these codes...

Quick Reply: Headers Installed, expected CEL but not these codes...