C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
canandy2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Oil

Need help on selecting manual transmission oil. Here are some things I have to consider, I try to drive my Corvette as much as I can but in cold weather (I live in the Niagara Falls NY area) I notice "stiff" shifts even after letting the engine run. When I drive it, I do get "into" all the power the car has to offer. So I'm looking for temperature "correctness" and protection for all types of driving. Any ideas?
Thanks. Andy

PS. I plan to change the oil myself.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:33 PM
SelahJadenCaldwell
4th Gear

Most people ignore transmission fluids. Even worse most people only talk about the importance of flushing an automatic transmission.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:05 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by canandy2
Need help on selecting manual transmission oil. Here are some things I have to consider, I try to drive my Corvette as much as I can but in cold weather (I live in the Niagara Falls NY area) I notice "stiff" shifts even after letting the engine run. When I drive it, I do get "into" all the power the car has to offer. So I'm looking for temperature "correctness" and protection for all types of driving. Any ideas?
Thanks. Andy

I use the factory fill. Regardless, something to keep in mind is that the rear-mounted transmission gets no significant warm-up from the engine heat - the only way to get a C6 transmission warmed up is to drive it. If it's cold, it will take even longer.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:46 PM
95blklsc
Racer

I switched to ams oil last week, it seemed to have helped the notchy-ness when its cold a lot.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:36 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by canandy2
Thanks. Andy

Royal Purple Syncromax, many of us here on this forum have had good results with it.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I changed out my early '05 MN6 with Redline earlier this year, and I found no difference with anything!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I changed out my early '05 MN6 with Redline earlier this year, and I found no difference with anything!
I changed to Redline D4-ATF in my 01Z06 and to AMSOIL ATF in the current 06Z06. Neither change had any significant effect on shift feel that I could really claim. Still happy I made the change if nothing else to get a superior synthetic fluid in the tranny.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Oil

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil