C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install gone bad.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Bkbulldog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install gone bad.

I ran my car through water and had the stuff fixed at a Chevy dealership. I’m not sure what they did but I Have the receipt on the parts they ordered. Gasket , Valve , Bolt , F-Gasket Kit, sealant, Cleaner ,Fltr Kit oil , seal kit, Rep Head. So after I got my car back I had a sensor not plugged in and a ground not tighten properly. Had my mechanic fix all of this and the car ran fine for about 4 days before I had the cam installed. So I went to a shop in Lubbock and had my cam installed. When they first started the car it over heated and didn’t turn over right away so they said it had an air bubble and let it out and added more coolant and the overheating went away but the engine taking 4 ever to start didn’t. So they said it was a bad cam sensor and replaced it and from there the car would turn right over and was running fine. So I headed home about 138 miles away when I was about 20 miles out from my city the car just shut off so I pulled off to the side of the rode and tried to start the car but it didn’t turn over. So I waited about an hour and tried again it tuned over but once it hit idle it would turn off you could hold the gas down to keep it started but if you don’t give it gas it will die. Any idea whos fault it is for my car acting like this?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

You need to have it diagnosed to find why it isnt running right before you can assign blame.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Bkbulldog
Racer

I dont see why it would act like that after a cam install?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
7795TAs
Instructor

Are all the plug wires on tight, is the check engine light on, did you have it tuned after the install? We need a little more info.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 PM
TXC6Z51
Racer

Take it back to the place in Lubbock. Maybe this will just be another reason I'm going 500 miles for a cam install instead of 120 to lubbock.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Bkbulldog
Racer

Yes it was tuned by him with HP tuner Umm the computer was not throwing any codes..
Old 03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

You have several red flags here: the repair at the dealership of what was probably a hydro-locked motor although you said it ran fine for four days after the repair, an aluminum motor that was over heated although it’s basic knowledge of what it takes to properly bleed the system which in my head brings your mechanic’s expertise into question and then a cam install which could have gone wrong in a dozen ways that was performed by the same guy who allowed your car to overheat. It’s very hard to tell over the internet which one or maybe combination of the three is the root of your problem.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,198 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkbulldog
I ran my car through water and had the stuff fixed at a Chevy dealership. I’m not sure what they did but I Have the receipt on the parts they ordered. Gasket , Valve , Bolt , F-Gasket Kit, sealant, Cleaner ,Fltr Kit oil , seal kit, Rep Head. So after I got my car back I had a sensor not plugged in and a ground not tighten properly. Had my mechanic fix all of this and the car ran fine for about 4 days before I had the cam installed.
What do you mean that you "ran through water?" If you partially submerged the car, you could have done more damage than what shows up initially.

Like Spin said, until you diagnose the failure you can't assess as whether the speed shop had anything to do with this.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:02 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

=Any idea whos fault it is for my car acting like this?

Depending on the depth/contents of the water you initially ran it through, it could be any number of things related to either the water or the cam install. Lots of electronics that can actually take some time to fail due to oxidation or deposits from the water intake. How deep was the "puddle"?

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Matt@Texas-Speed
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to take a moment to clarify that this was NOT work done by Texas Speed. Bulldog, can you PM what shop did do the work? I might be able to help you figure out who to talk to over there to get ths straightened out, or offer you suggestions on how to fix the issues.

Thanks.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / Largest LS-x Comp Cams Distributor in the Country!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS - MONSTER CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOKS
ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK - POWERBOND - WISECO - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Bkbulldog
Racer

This work was NOT done by texas speed which is the shop I should of taken it to in the first place. The parts that he wants to replace at MY cost is Main bearings . Rod bearings Cam bearings ,Lifters, Turn crank ,Oil pan gasket Pickup Tube and "maybe cam".
Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 AM
Bkbulldog
Racer

The car was out of the Chevy shop about 2 weeks and ran fine. If there was major problems with the car wouldnt I of found out with in two weeks and the drive to lubbock? I have never seen a car shut off like that before Until AFTER the cam was put in by these people.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Fuel pump relay.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:16 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
You have several red flags here: the repair at the dealership of what was probably a hydro-locked motor although you said it ran fine for four days after the repair, an aluminum motor that was over heated although it’s basic knowledge of what it takes to properly bleed the system which in my head brings your mechanic’s expertise into question and then a cam install which could have gone wrong in a dozen ways that was performed by the same guy who allowed your car to overheat. It’s very hard to tell over the internet which one or maybe combination of the three is the root of your problem.
makes a lotta sense to me. plus, I don't think anyone knows when electricals are all dried out and not going to do weird things.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Bkbulldog
Racer

It was siting at like 15 PSI at idle is that normal? The shop that did my work gave me what has to be done to fix it.

Last edited by Bkbulldog; 03-18-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Bkbulldog
Racer

Im use to seeing it over 40 now that I think about it.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Motorhead-47... I'm leaning towards the damaged cam bearing causing the oil pressure to drop, but I dont know why it wouldn't have thrown codes and alerted you through the DIC that the pressure was low... Have an oil analysis done by a reputable lab, it'll tell you if you have contaminated oil or some Cam Bearing material in it. The analysis will definitley find the Main bearing material but it can differentiate Main Bearing from Cam Bearing material.

Last edited by Isaiah48; 03-18-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam install gone bad.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Bkbulldog
Racer

SO what should the oil pressure be sitting at while idleing.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

SO what should the oil pressure be sitting at while idleing.
30+ in a warmed up healthy motor
Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Bkbulldog
Racer

Yeah bad oil preassure it wasent even at that while cruising so bad install on their part.......... they came ad pick up my car on a trailer and they refuse to bring me back my car because I dont want them working in it. So I guess im going to have to get it.

Quick Reply: Cam install gone bad.