C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is shift lock control solenoid located?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default where is shift lock control solenoid located?

where is the shift lock control solenoid located???
thanks
John
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its located in the transmission. Why do you ask? Do you want to disconnect it? There are a couple of ways to do that so that you don't set computer codes.

- Mark
The following users liked this post:
Doppler1992 (07-10-2021)
Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The shift interlock solenoid is located on the shifter. It is not in the trans on an 05 a4 c6. take the cover off, it's on the back side underneath and has 2 wires going to it. Start the engine, depress the brake and make sure you have power and ground to the solenoid. Sometimes they do not work because coffee and/or soda get spilled and the linkage ets sticky. If you have any problems, PM me
Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
Its located in the transmission. Why do you ask? Do you want to disconnect it? There are a couple of ways to do that so that you don't set computer codes.

- Mark
I now realize its not clear if you're asking about the automatic transmission or the manual. My statement is about the manual trans.

- Mark
Old 04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
timothystengel
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martysauto
The shift interlock solenoid is located on the shifter. It is not in the trans on an 05 a4 c6. take the cover off, it's on the back side underneath and has 2 wires going to it. Start the engine, depress the brake and make sure you have power and ground to the solenoid. Sometimes they do not work because coffee and/or soda get spilled and the linkage ets sticky. If you have any problems, PM me
Hi Marty, I'm having intermittent shifter lock out problems with my 2005 Z-51 auto trans vette. I found I'm not able to change the interlock solenoid according to the dealership they say I'll have to replace the entire shift control. To locate the solenoid do I remove the counsel cover from inside the car. And rather than replacing is there any way to disable without triggering error codes. The dealer quoted me $270.00 for control. Do you know if this is a relatively straight forward swap I could do myself ? Thanks Tim Stengel
The following users liked this post:
DirtyDee (06-25-2021)
Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
timothystengel
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen

- Mark
Hi Mark, How difficult is the shift control to replace on an 05' Z-51 with auto transmission. Is it easier to disconnect and if so could you walk me thru the procedure. I'm sure the shift lockout solenoid is intermittently not releasing when I depress the brake pedal. More than an inconvenience at times. Any help would be greatly appreciated Tim Stengel
Old 04-12-2011, 02:00 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Prodago
where is the shift lock control solenoid located???
thanks
John
Originally Posted by timothystengel
Hi Mark, How difficult is the shift control to replace on an 05' Z-51 with auto transmission. Is it easier to disconnect and if so could you walk me thru the procedure. I'm sure the shift lockout solenoid is intermittently not releasing when I depress the brake pedal. More than an inconvenience at times. Any help would be greatly appreciated Tim Stengel
I'm not home right now, but I'll get you a picture this evening. It is located in the drivers rear corner of the shifter. If you get the boot out of the way you will see it. I'd say it just has something sticky on it (Coke, etc). The one I have is out of a salt water flood car and looked like it had barnacles on it and it still works fine.

Last edited by 'VETTE PHASE; 04-12-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

The reverse lockout solenoid is located on the top of the trans case on the MM trans. Just FYI.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

OK, here's a pic. Sorry for the crud, but it is from a salt water flood car.

When you push on the button on top of the shifter (yellow arrow) the lock mechanism won't allow you to unless your foot is on the brake. When you apply the brake, the solenoid pushes outward (red arrow) and the locking arm moves rearward (white arrow) unlocking the shift button allowing you to push it and move the shifter.

Name:  DSC053842Large.jpg
Views: 10939
Size:  77.9 KB
Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Andy 53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That lockout solenoid is part of the entire shifter assembly on an 05 A4 transmission and cannot be replaced separately according to my dealer. It's about a $500 job at the dealership for parts and labor.

Andy
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM
DavidATL1
5th Gear

I know this thread is old but I have an '05 automatic with the intermittent shift lock problem. It will work fine for weeks then for a few days it will have seemingly random delays in the release of the shift lock. I've found that sometimes the shift lock engages immediately but when the problem shows up it will release if I just wait a minute or so. My brake lights work fine so I don't think it is the brake switch. Right now it is annoying but I think I read that it will only get worse. Would rather not spend $500+ to replace the entire shift mechanism. Any suggestions? Thanks...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidATL1
I know this thread is old but I have an '05 automatic with the intermittent shift lock problem. It will work fine for weeks then for a few days it will have seemingly random delays in the release of the shift lock. I've found that sometimes the shift lock engages immediately but when the problem shows up it will release if I just wait a minute or so. My brake lights work fine so I don't think it is the brake switch. Right now it is annoying but I think I read that it will only get worse. Would rather not spend $500+ to replace the entire shift mechanism. Any suggestions? Thanks...
i had the same problem for years sometimes turning the car off would work banging the shifter or just restarting, last straw i was out paying my insurance at the agency, car wouldn't go into reverse to back out or any gear, i pushed the button down and just pulled back forcing it and it went into reverse, wouldn't go back to park, so i had a leather man in the car after about 20 minutes i got it apart, disconnected the cable and shifted it by the cable. got home checked out the shifter, seen a big black hook that locks the shifter into a plastic gear and the solenoid lifts it, so i took a pair of pliers and bent the black plastic hook over until it snapped in half. now it works great no lock plus you still have to put your foot on the brake to start, no codes or anything affecting drive ability. plus now i can put the car in neutral and shut it completely off, push it in the staging lanes without being in accessories mod and running the lightweight battery down.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

someone had answered my question about me having same problem, however i am iusing phone to post and i cant locate who answered me. but they suggested pushing shifter forward a bit and it worked like a charm. it still is sometimes hard to get out of park, but i can always push it forward and get it in gear. sometimes it takes me a few attemtps but always works. hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 PM
waxrbox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Had that same problem with mine just this week ... could not get out of park and to make it worse, doing so screwed up the shift **** so add another $125+ part to repair. Waiting for the new shift mechanism to come from dealer. What are the pros/cons of just disconnecting it? Is that for safety or theft? My '06 only has 2500 miles on it, so this bites.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM
sledesma
6th Gear

My 05 C6 just started with this. I guess I will try disconnecting it to see if this will fix it.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sledesma
My 05 C6 just started with this. I guess I will try disconnecting it to see if this will fix it.
Did you try pushing the shifter forward a bit and then try the plunger? Mine will do this from time to time and like I said in an earlier post, someone on here told me to do that and it works. Sometimes it takes a couple of times but eventually you will find the sweet spot and I've been doing this for over a year now. Also, If you need to, just to get from here to there it's very easy to disconnect shift linkage and manually shift it. Mine shut down (electronically in my garage) and the wrecker told me how because I could not get it out of garage, so I just popped the plastic knuckle off shifter and put it in nuetral.
Hope this helps
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Is there some way to simply disconnect the shift lock without setting off codes?? I'm still having problems, more of a nuisance, but sometimes it takes awhile and I find myself getting madder and madder and really putting some force to try to get it to work. Don't want to break it, would like to just disable it.
thanks

Get notified of new replies

To where is shift lock control solenoid located?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you can buy a new shifter, or you cah wire the hook latch lock up or cut it or just bend it bend it back and fourth until it snaps its just plastic, i went threw all the problems until one day nothing i tried would work, so i had to break it, and guess what, its never happened again its never had a problem shifting again, it works perfect, its been 10.16 in the 1/4 almost 107mph in the 1/8 hung the front wheels i pull it in and out of the garage can roll it back and fourth for the lift, the staging lanes or just for fun without getting in the car putting in acc mod running the battery dead, just like a car should
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodago
Is there some way to simply disconnect the shift lock without setting off codes?? I'm still having problems, more of a nuisance, but sometimes it takes awhile and I find myself getting madder and madder and really putting some force to try to get it to work. Don't want to break it, would like to just disable it.
thanks
Mines been sticking for a couple months. I'm still getting it to work no problem by pushing the shifter forward a bit.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
you can buy a new shifter, or you cah wire the hook latch lock up or cut it or just bend it bend it back and fourth until it snaps its just plastic, i went threw all the problems until one day nothing i tried would work, so i had to break it, and guess what, its never happened again its never had a problem shifting again, it works perfect, its been 10.16 in the 1/4 almost 107mph in the 1/8 hung the front wheels i pull it in and out of the garage can roll it back and fourth for the lift, the staging lanes or just for fun without getting in the car putting in acc mod running the battery dead, just like a car should
Dennis,
I took your advice and took care of this your way a while back. Never had a problem since.
Jeff

Quick Reply: where is shift lock control solenoid located?