C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Window Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
430Vett
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Window Replacement

I need to replace my front windshield and would like input in to glass quality and if there is a difference in the glass if you have a HUD.

Is the car sensitive to twisting when the window is out?

Any input would be helpful

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-16-2010, 05:16 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the HUD requires a "HUD" Windshield. Ask for an OEM windshield for the HUD. Also, the windshield does not stiffen the car, it's NOT load bearing. Think about it, if it carried a load it would break.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 PM
430Vett
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for your input
Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
corvettenvy
Racer

As glennhl stated, there is a special windshield for HUD equipped vehicles. However, many owners have added HUD and not replaced the windshield. Although some have stated the visibility of the display is somewhat decreased, many seem perfectly satisfied with the quality of the display. I understand the difference in price is quite substantial so you will have to decide if it is worth the increased cost. Search for posts in C6 General for comments on this subject.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:45 AM
mikeci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace my windshield last year. the man who replaced it said there is only one source for the glass and that's GM if you have a HUD
Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Raphael Nirav
2nd Gear

Well check your local slavage yard they might have one or you will have to get one from a body shop or the body shop might be able to point you in a direction..miami limousine
Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

Originally Posted by mikeci
I had to replace my windshield last year. the man who replaced it said there is only one source for the glass and that's GM if you have a HUD
Well that's not true. I had mine replaced a year or so ago at Safelite. I have HUD and the windshield did not come from GM. All the markings were different. The replacement does say HUD and something about GPS or satelite. Can't remember exactly but they made sure I got the right one. I believe there are 3 different versions available. They did a great job and the replacement is more resistent to chips than the OEM one. Before replacement I had four chips filled. This one has been hit three times and has yet to chip. Total cost? $666 to my insurance company - Geico. Just my .02.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Window Replacement

Quick Reply: Front Window Replacement