C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to spend 4K?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM
EATURAW
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to spend 4K?

Here is where I'm hung up - I'm a new Vette owner and have been doing a ton of research here on the forums.

I need to figure out what route to go... I have a 2008 C6 Z51 M6, a Procharger sounds fun. From what I have been reading you're looking at an instant 150rwhp just bolting it on - with no exhaust or anything. I think average price for that is about $5,600, not including install.

I'm looking for opinions from people who have had it done, how much total did it run you - all said and done.

Then I could go the bolt-on route, intake, headers, X-pipe, tune and maybe a cam.. All said and done aren't I looking at a close price to the Procharger? Are bolt-ons really worth it?

I'm stumped guys, any input?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
zzzzzzzzzzomg
5th Gear

Procharger is going to be a lot more than $5600. It's not just the head unit and some piping to get it working, you need fuel supporting mods etc. In the end it will be close to $8000 installed.

You can get intake/exahust/cam installed for 2-3000 and pick up quite a bit of power. Not as much as procharger, but costs almost a third less.

For $4000 I would do LT, xpipe, intake, cam and if you have any money left use that to port the intake manifold and the heads.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey bro, you on the af board? look familiar.. anyhow I picked up a used procharger kit here for $2500.. $150 later "injectors, BAP, install" I had a great setup.. There is usually a kit for sale every 2 weeks in the parts for sale section.. without a doubt the best bang for the buck! I did this after I bought damn near every bolt on out there for my LS3. Just running 3.5-4lbs of boost and close to 600rwhp.. going wide booty soon and will bump it to 12lbs!

ZZZZZZ said to port the heads.. he obviously does not know anything about a LS3.. just saying!

GET A SUPERCHARGER!!

Tren A Man

Last edited by TrenAman; 01-08-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Give us a call if you have questions.. I bet I can figure out a way to help you spend 4K wisely

Home of the Fastest Supercharged C5 8.4 @ 158mph
Home of the Fastest Supercharged IRS GTO 9.0@ 155
Home of the Fastest Supercharged C6 9.7 @ 143mph

Proud Sponsor of the ECS Corvette Challenge
http://www.corvettechallenge.info

609-752-0321
Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
wooden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Give us a call if you have questions.. I bet I can figure out a way to help you spend 4K wisely
give chris a call,
Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

A couple different Forum vendors are installing a Vortech S/C with ram air intercooler and all the associated bells and whistles, tune and before and after dynos for $6400 or so.Got mine last year. IMO, the best bang for the buck out there!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Drive a nice N/A set up and then a supercharged setup. See what you like. I've had superchargers, turbo's, and N/A. I like N/A best and will be doing a full N/A build on my LS2. You have an LS3 which means your starting up bit further up the ladder. Its a lot of money. You owe it to yourself to try before you buy. Peak HP numbers don't mean crap with regards to the driving experience.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

BTW if that is you in your avatar you look great. I'll be requalifying for Nationals this year at the top of the Heavy's. Qualified and competed last time as a light heavy. Took 2 years and have definately stepped it up.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Understand you final goal first. Mods work together for greater improvement. S/C is the easiest and most power for the $ and can be emissions complaint.. Problems may arise compared to the N/A bolt on route, although here your emission laws come into play. Most will go N/A with headers, Intake, Muffler change for sound then followed by maybe gears and or cam. Porting follows too. Brakes wheels body kits not to speak of interior upgrades.

If you want bragging rights and serious speed go S/C. Otherwise $4,000 can get you maybe 40 to 50 rwhp with tune too.

I am just now installing 4.10 gears. All bolt on up to this point. Gears I hear gives the best sop performance for the $$. I will see shortly.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Originally Posted by GREENTAHOE
BTW if that is you in your avatar you look great. I'll be requalifying for Nationals this year at the top of the Heavy's. Qualified and competed last time as a light heavy. Took 2 years and have definately stepped it up.
what boards you on? Bro is a conditioning FREAK from his avatar..

Tren A Man
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 PM
AndrewZPSU
Burning Brakes

I just responded on my thread with a pretty detailed way to spend it. If you want to see my car I'll be in Harrisburg, PA tomorrow doing a cam and heads install and would be more than willing to take you for a ride.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 PM
66yellowstingray
Racer

I would say save your money and move out of Pasadena.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 AM
IROC-ZR1
4th Gear

i dont know much about vettes but i say it would be much better to go bolt ons like weight reductions, better tires, suspension mods, catback exhuast, headers, cam, porting, tune and whatever holds back the power from these cars for cheap. and then when you do some bolt ons in the future if you have the money buy the S/C and you would get much more power out of it plus with bolt ons it wont break the bank if you want a good about of power. again im use to thirdgen camaros but i think what i mentioned above pretty much supports any vehicle. good luck.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Finster07
Pro

Originally Posted by GREENTAHOE
Drive a nice N/A set up and then a supercharged setup. See what you like. I've had superchargers, turbo's, and N/A. I like N/A best and will be doing a full N/A build on my LS2. You have an LS3 which means your starting up bit further up the ladder. Its a lot of money. You owe it to yourself to try before you buy. Peak HP numbers don't mean crap with regards to the driving experience.

Well said. Exactly what I did, I tried both. After you try both, you can decide which is best for YOUR driving style and goals.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...s-n-a-ls2.html

Several posts here clearly speak to the pros and cons of each setup, S/C or H/C. Much of this thread discusses 1/4 mile times and trap speeds, which is not my goal, but there is excellent insight here as to what each setup brings to the table.

Last edited by Finster07; 01-09-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may need to budget a little more than $4k either way you go but with NA you can do it one step at a time.

1. Vararam
2. Exhaust
3. Headers,tune
4. Cam
Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Finster07
Pro

Originally Posted by goatts
You may need to budget a little more than $4k either way you go but with NA you can do it one step at a time.

1. Vararam
2. Exhaust
3. Headers,tune
4. Cam

I was thinking the same thing. 4k won't get you a s/c, install, and tune. Not even close. But you can easily do any combination of the above. Add to the list a set of gears as a real SOTP addition. I love my 3.90's which cost about 2K.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:22 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Originally Posted by TrenAman
what boards you on? Bro is a conditioning FREAK from his avatar..

Tren A Man
Now I get the user name!! I stay on MuscleChemistry. Very straight forward, knowledgable, mature guys. If it weren't for my real passion, I'd be driving a 9 second vette!!
To the OP, 4K will be plenty to wake that thing up. Cam, Headers, and tune and you'll be in one very quick vette!!

Get notified of new replies

To How to spend 4K?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 AM
C6BIX
Pro

Default Funny

I was in the same boat last week.. I have 7K to spend on the car.. I was thinking all the same things.. Then i realized that if i do a cam it will void the motor warranty. I know its not that big of a deal but i really dont want to do that.. So I was like ok i will do headers and xpipe and Tune.. That was like 2500 .. for what 25HP.. This car is allready sickfast do i really need the 25HP??? I just got my car back in Austin Tx from Custom SOunds... I have a 7140 DD Nav DVD head unit put in and JL TW5 Sub and JL HD900/5 amp and componets put in.. I have to say that was a great choice.. I will listen and enjoy the system and love showing off the work more that 25HP. ALso I have anough to get a nice set of wheels and tires for C6 Z51.. I know you guys might flame me but i just wanted to give my 2 cents.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
EATURAW
Racer

Thanks for all the input guys..

To TrenAMan - No, not a member of any boards. I'm a National level competitor w/ 5 state titles. I've done 9 shows in all including one national contest (IFBB GNC North Americans).

Very hard to make up my mind, I have read a lot of stuff about people throwing codes - even having surging with as little as a CAI and Headers. Been there done that with FI, I had an 06 Nissan 350Z. 400rwhp and 390rwtq on a stang dyno. It was nothing but head aches. Maybe I should just get a set of nice rims and tires.. I don't know, I'm going crazy trying to decide. I really don't feel like looking at another check engine light, that is beyond annoying.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:41 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

You seem to have the modding bug like me, SO There are enough quality shops up there to go for some rides in both SC/ HC cars. Take you time, My last car I had was a 57 chevy with 700 HP alky motor with a full moly frame, NHRA cert. I wanted something I could drive, Sold the car for a vette. Great decision for me...

Quick Reply: How to spend 4K?