C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Battery Changing Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Suite C6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Battery Changing Procedures

My battery on my 05 C6 finally began to lose charge after 5 years and I wanted to know if there are any specific procedures to disconect and re-conect the battery. I plan on purchasing a new battery but don't want to fry anything in the process of exchange.

Any sugestions and precautions would be appreciated,

Suite C6
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Andy 53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the battery in my 05 recently. I did not take any special precautions...however...be sure you have the key fob close by when you connect the new battery. The alarm went off as soon as the power was connected!

Andy
Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My battery is about 3.5 years old and it has just recently started losing power. I left the car for Christmas vacation and it wasn't driven for 8 days. Wouldn't start! Connected a small battery charger for and hour and a half and the car started without difficulty. left it for four days in the coldest weather the car has ever experienced and it wouldn't start. Placed it back on the charger for 6 hours and the car started. I believe the car just needs to be driven.

In your case, I would just follow the directions in car's manual.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Be careful not to drop an irreplacable washer/nut/bolt into an irretrievable place... I hate it when that happens.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine went dead while doing my last mod. However, I did recharge it and has been fine ever since (about 4 or 5 day's now). I'll probably be needing one myself not too long and those suckers are heavy and awkward to get out and put back in.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 PM
mike72
Pro

make sure to fully charge the new battery before hooking it up. The alternator was not meant to recharge a low battery but to maintain a charged one.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Suite C6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Battery Changing Procedures

Thks everyone for your input.

Suite C6
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Be careful not to drop an irreplacable washer/nut/bolt into an irretrievable place... I hate it when that happens.
This is sure good advice...how many times have we heard about this problem on this forum.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike72
make sure to fully charge the new battery before hooking it up. The alternator was not meant to recharge a low battery but to maintain a charged one.
Let's see ..... every time you start your car, your battery is suddenly down on charge ...... IF you have enough power in your battery to start the car, the alternator will bring it back to full capacity if you drive it long enough.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:26 PM
TXC6Z51
Racer

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
Let's see ..... every time you start your car, your battery is suddenly down on charge ...... IF you have enough power in your battery to start the car, the alternator will bring it back to full capacity if you drive it long enough.
Yes, but it is extremely hard on the alternator. Just because it will do it doesn't mean it is good for it. I always put a new battery on the charger before I install it. I've seen several alternators go out in from having to run full tilt to charge a dead battery.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXC6Z51
Yes, but it is extremely hard on the alternator. Just because it will do it doesn't mean it is good for it. I always put a new battery on the charger before I install it. I've seen several alternators go out in from having to run full tilt to charge a dead battery.
Although its OK to disconnect either one of the cables first, I always remove the negative first. That's just in case the wrench accidently touches a ground in the process.

When I was about 20 years old, I was disconnecting the positive cable on a battery first and the wrench touched a metal part which happened to be grounded. It caused a spark and the battery exploded throwing acid everywhere. Ever since then, I always disconnect the negative first.

You will have to re-index the windows, which only takes a few seconds.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Battery Changing Procedures

Quick Reply: C6 Battery Changing Procedures