C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

euro tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default euro tail lights

i just ordered a set of euro tail ights for my c6 while i figure out how to easily make them work ,will the stock harness plug into the new lights?i know that they will only work like the normal lights but will they plug in?

Last edited by azc62006; 01-02-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:49 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by azc62006
i just ordered a set of euro tail ights for my 6c while i figure out how to easily make them work ,will the stock harness plug into the new lights?i know that they will only work like the normal lights but will they plug in?
6c? Euro? Think your on the wrong forum.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Default euro tail lights

sorry i meant c6
Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I know, just messin with ya.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

i just ordered a set of euro tail ights for my c6 while i figure out how to easily make them work ,will the stock harness plug into the new lights?i know that they will only work like the normal lights but will they plug in?
You might get better answers if you provide more detail. What kind of lights? "Euro tail lights" is a pretty generic description.

San
Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The differences between the Euro and US spec tail lights are much more complicated than just the wiring/harness.

The 'computer' controlling these systems is different and this is not a simple plug-and-play mod.

It has been done but it is a PITA.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes, Sort of (assuming you mean the actual GM European lenses and not some aftermarket things.) You will have to shave some of the connector fittings that are used to enforce uniqueness. But that's easily done with a Dremel and it won't affect the way things goe together. Once you get the lenses and try to connect them up you will see what I mean. It's no biggie. Just Dremel off the ones that keep it from fitting properly. It won't affect how well they stay together.

On the other hand, if you want to have them work properly (amber turn signals seperated from the brake lights), it's a serious PITA involving a new rear harness and reprogramming the BCM.

Btw, in case you hadn't noticed, there are right and left lenses (look for the letters cast into the black plastic.)

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 01-02-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Default lights

thanks i have been reading about how much a pain it is to hook them up. they are the GM tail lights... i will look for left and right thanks... maybe im thinking too simply but, why couldnt you find the wires on the harness that provides the left and right turn signal and splice that to the bottom amber connector? im not going to do it just throwing that out there.. a signal is a signal i would just be asking it to turn on the bottom bulb? im not a engineer but, does the resistance really change if i just seperate those wires?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

maybe im thinking too simply but, why couldnt you find the wires on the harness that provides the left and right turn signal and splice that to the bottom amber connector? im not going to do it just throwing that out there.. a signal is a signal i would just be asking it to turn on the bottom bulb? im not a engineer but, does the resistance really change if i just seperate those wires?
The problem is that the brake lamps and the turn signals use the SAME wire and the SAME bulb

The BCM "logics" what to do with that wire depending upon the circumstances. Think about how your lamps work now. There is ONE bulb that has "bright" (turn signal -OR- brake light) and "dim" (running light.) When you turn on a turn signal the BCM knows to override the brake light action with the turn signal action on that side of the car. The brake light still works on the other side of the car. (The center brake light has its own wire.)

On the European setup the brake lights are all powered through the center brake light wire which does give the original "shared" wire over to POTENTIAL use for just the turn signals. BUT, if you don't tell the BCM "don't do it the North American way" that single "bright" wire to the turn/brake lamps will still do the same thing.

Z//
Old 01-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Pack Leader
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

euro tail lights =
Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM
VET-005
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have done this mod in Australia for cars that we convert to RHD using relays, diods and resisters and parts off the euro harness. Its quite complicated but does work.

I would however like to know if any one knows how to do this properly and how to reprogram the BCM for the GM euro lights using the tech 2 to reprogram the BCM to allow for the euro tail light and directional conversion but not sure what i need to do to make it work.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

No, you need to purchase the associated EURO harnesse and get the BCM reconfigured or build an electronic circuit to demux the signals.

Originally Posted by Pack Leader
euro tail lights =
Sorry you don't like the EURO look, I do. Not to mention my DRL stay off and I have the headlamp washers which is convenient when you drive in snow ...

Now if only I could figure out how to activate the TPMS system at the DIC.

a++ Cedric

Last edited by CroOrange; 01-04-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Default lights

fluffy post a pic. im still waiting for mine... was it that painfull to make them work? did you take pics?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
VET-005
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Fluffy13;1572639592]No, you need to purchase the associated EURO harnesse and get the BCM reconfigured or build an electronic circuit to demux the signals.

I have bought the euro lights and harness and would like to know how to reprogram the BCM using tech 2. ie what option codes etc need to be changed and to what. Also want to dissable the daytime running lamps while re-programing the BCM.

Any diagrams or inf would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 AM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Default pics

im not going to use the other two that i have
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2021, 08:47 AM
JoeyLovesTrains
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=VET-005;1572643252]
Originally Posted by Fluffy13
No, you need to purchase the associated EURO harnesse and get the BCM reconfigured or build an electronic circuit to demux the signals.

I have bought the euro lights and harness and would like to know how to reprogram the BCM using tech 2. ie what option codes etc need to be changed and to what. Also want to dissable the daytime running lamps while re-programing the BCM.

Any diagrams or inf would be appreciated.
Ok, this may sounds crazy, but it just might work... I have a 2007 Pontiac G6, however the G6's use the same (or at least similar) BCM. I'm ignoring the wiring harness issues, and I'm just focused on the BCM side of things, I'd like to know how you guys got the BCM to separate the Turn Signals from the Brake lights. Again, I know I have a completely different car, but the Saturn Aura, Chevy Malibu, and G6 use slight variations of the same BCM. I'm looking for Euro compliant turn signals on my G6 (again, just worrying about the BCM side of things, not worried about tail lights, or brake lights at the moment, I've got most of that covered, and I know what I'm going to do). I hope someone might see this and maybe explain how to use the Tech2 tool to complete what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm worried if I change the country on my G6's BCM, then my speedometer and Odometer will start to display kmh, and my temp might be in Celsius. I know the Aura's turn signals and brake lights are separate, and all 3 brakes come from the 3rd brake light wire (like Zoxxo was explaining, the Aura uses the brake lights the same way). Hope someone can reach out. Again, I just want to know how you do it on a Corvette, and then I'll worry about seeing if you can do that same action on a G6's BCM.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:42 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

maybe sell the vette and buy a porch.

I mean porsche

Last edited by dar322; 09-08-2021 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To euro tail lights

Quick Reply: euro tail lights