C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do '09 tire pressure sensors fit in '05 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 12:33 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Default do '09 tire pressure sensors fit in '05 wheels?

Will the '09 sensors in my current wheels fit into the '05 wheels w/o any issue? It looks like it has some band system from some pictures I dug up, so if it's the same diameter, it would all just swap over?

Last edited by turbotuner20v; 01-01-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Will the '09 sensors in my current wheels fit into the '05 wheels w/o any issue? It looks like it has some band system from some pictures I dug up, so if it's the same diameter, it would all just swap over?
There is no "band system" in OE wheels. The sensors mount in OE wheels as you see in the pictures below, i.e. the valve stem sticks out of a hole in the wheel and has a retaining nut on the outside:

All OE wheels mount sensors in a similar manner, so the sensors out of your '09 wheels will fit in your '05 wheels.

All sensors for C6 model years 2005 to 2009 are the same and will work in any of those year C6s (they are all GM Part# 25758220). I believe 2010 C6 sensors are a different part# and won't work in earlier C6 years.

Bob
Old 01-01-2010, 03:07 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
There is no "band system" in OE wheels. The sensors mount in OE wheels as you see in the pictures below, i.e. the valve stem sticks out of a hole in the wheel and has a retaining nut on the outside:

All OE wheels mount sensors in a similar manner, so the sensors out of your '09 wheels will fit in your '05 wheels.

All sensors for C6 model years 2005 to 2009 are the same and will work in any of those year C6s (they are all GM Part# 25758220). I believe 2010 C6 sensors are a different part# and won't work in earlier C6 years.

Bob
Awesome... after finding out the ECU's were different on the '09s I just wanted to double check that the sensors were the same and there were not quirks. Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 03:07 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Bob
I bought some HRE wheel's off the forum. They have the bands which work well when put in right. The bands came with the wheels. One little clip was missing from one of the bands. I waited till the piece
was ordered. Then went in. Long story,,,,, I kept having problems
with the right rear wheel the one with the new clip. Sensors coming loose. By 6 appointments later I ended up ruining 3 sensors. Then went to Discount tire.
Wish I had a picture. The ***** were banding the sensor to the
rim. By clamping to the rim. With no cradle or clip to hold the sensor... I mailed them a letter telling them replace my 3 sensors
to the wheels I was taking them out of. My spare stock set. They replaced them but they operate on a differrent freq.
Lucky I have a good TPMS tool that reset's any TPMS sensor.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 01-01-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Bob I KNEW you would know this answer! Turbotuner wants to buy my old wheels and asked me...I said throw up a post, or PM Bezo6!

You are THE SOURCE when it comes to things tire sensors.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
I bought some HRE wheel's off the forum. They have the bands which work well when put in right. The bands came with the wheels. One little clip was missing from one of the bands. I waited till the piece
was ordered. Then went in. Long story,,,,, I kept having problems
with the right rear wheel the one with the new clip. Sensors coming loose. By 6 appointments later I ended up ruining 3 sensors. Then went to Discount tire.
Wish I had a picture. The ***** were banding the sensor to the
rim. By clamping to the rim. With no cradle or clip to hold the sensor... I mailed them a letter telling them replace my 3 sensors
to the wheels I was taking them out of. My spare stock set. They replaced them but they operate on a differrent freq.
My WCC wheels are banded with 3M tape to help hold them in place. No way would I ever consider a clamp being able to hold the tpms on a spinning wheel.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Bob I KNEW you would know this answer! Turbotuner wants to buy my old wheels and asked me...I said throw up a post, or PM Bezo6!

You are THE SOURCE when it comes to things tire sensors.
Hi Joe - glad to help and hope the deal works good for both of you!!

BTW Turbotuner - if you're taking the sensors out of your '09 wheels to put into the '05 wheels, if the tire shop keeps track of which sensor came off which corner of the car and puts them into the '05 wheels so the sensors go back on to the same corner they were originally on, then you won't have to do any relearn procedure to program the sensors to their new locations.

If they get mixed up they'll still work, but if the DIC says "Left Front 23 psi" it may be talking about the Right Rear (or where ever the one that was originally in the LF ended up).

Rock'n Blue 08, you say:

They replaced them but they operate on a differrent freq.
Butt.....I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Some sensors are triggered by a magnet (e.g. C5 and a very few real early C6 sensors, and some used on some Chrysler/Jeep vehicles), but to my knowledge ALL sensors that are triggered by a radio frequency require a 125 kHz freqency to trigger them - I've never heard of a tool that transmits a triggering signal on any other frequency.

The sensors themselves transmit their data to the radio receiver in the TPMS computer in the car on a totally different frequency. Our C6 sensors on ALL U.S./Canada cars transmit to the TPMS computer in the car on 315 mHz (Euro spec C6s use a sensor that transmits on 434 mHz).

So.....for a C6 built to North American specs, only the Schrader sensor that is GM Part# 25758220, the same sensor directly from Schrader with a part# 20076, or possibly another sensor made by Orange Electronic will work. All will be triggered by the standard 125 kHz transmitted by all tools.

I'm not sure, but I think the 2010 C6 uses a different sensor than the earlier C6 model years. The TPMS in the car is actually part of the RCDLR module, and I believe the TPMS computer in the 2010 C6 is similar to that used in some other GM vehicles in the past. I think the 2010 uses the same tire pressure sensor as the Malibu and Escalade (and maybe some other vehicles) and that you don't need a tool at all to trigger them - you can trigger them by changing pressure in the tire by +/- 8 to 10 psi. I believe they will also respond to the 125 kHz triggering frequency from a tool, but a tool is not necessary (at least I think what's in the 2010 C6).

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-01-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To do '09 tire pressure sensors fit in '05 wheels?

Quick Reply: do '09 tire pressure sensors fit in '05 wheels?