C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange codes after dragging bottom of car

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:25 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange codes after dragging bottom of car UPDATE__problem solved

So we were out christmas light looking and drove over some railroad tracks (they didn't look that bad and still took them at an angle) and heard the exhaust drag.....but this time there was a definite "pull" feeling..... ****!!!! Later that night the check engine light came on. Checked the codes= P0036x2 (bank one sensor two heated circuit) and a P2A01 (?) (which showed to be bank one sensor two range/performance) Umm, OK, I thought that the SLP Diablo Sport tune turned off codes for the rear O2 sensors. I have LG Pro headers, vararam, SpinFast intake, 160 stat, full 3" catted exhaust with B&B Fusion muffers. I have checked the bottom of the car for damage and all O2 sensors are undamaged and their wiring is good. There are some pretty bad scrapes and some minor flat spots on the driver side header, and I can see where the clamp on the collector was the main thing that was grabbed---the exhaust pipe was pulled back on the collector by about 1/8". But I can see nothing ovbious and there are no leaks....for now I cleared the codes, and will go for a drive so see if they come back. What do ya'll think----coincidence that the o2 sensor went bad the same night I killed the bottom of the car??

Last edited by bent; 01-12-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

just went to drive it.....codes came back almost immediately. this time, p0036 and p0054 (B1,S2 resistance)

Last edited by bent; 01-12-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

A strong impact like that can damage an oxygen sensor. It is not uncommon to have one fail after the header takes a hit like that. It is probably the pre-cat sensor that failed, not the rear one.

Andy
Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

THANKS, I do remember reading that somewhere.....but I still wonder about the codes I am getting....there have been three. I wonder which one was supposed to be turned off by the tune?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bent
THANKS, I do remember reading that somewhere.....but I still wonder about the codes I am getting....there have been three. I wonder which one was supposed to be turned off by the tune?

A tune should not be disabling any codes for the front (pre-cat) oxygen sensors. You are getting multiple codes because there are several issues with the sensor possibly. One appears to be a heater circuit fault, while another appears to be a signal fault.

Your tune likely turned off any catalytic converter efficiency faults that the rear oxygen sensors (post-cat) normally detect. Make sense?

Andy
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by bent
just went to drive it.....codes came back almost immediately. this time, p0036 and p0054 (B1,S1 resistance)
I looked them up for you, all 3 of your codes are for bank 1 sensor 2.
2 for the heater and 1 for performance. Either replace it or swap your 2 downstrem o2's and see if the codes change with the swap. Then you'll know it trashed.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:00 AM
dkluko
Racer

Something similar happened to me over the summer and it turned out the MAP sensor at the back of the engine got out of whack because it's so close to the firewall and got jiggled from the speedbump impact. Even though you're only getting sensor codes you might want to double-check the MAP seating while you're poking around. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

thanks alot for the replys, everyone. I have ordered a new rear O2 sensor, and am waiting for it to come in. I cannot drop the exhaust myself, due to the way the mufflers were welded in (instead of clamped/which was necessary to adapt the 3" system around my auto tranny) so I will have to take it somewhere and get the thing changed out. I will update when I do this!

Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:12 AM
SpeedDemonBB
Intermediate

what you have is a code reader which reads codes but doesnt interpret them. a code tells you what wrong but not specifically whats causing it meaning that it cannot tell you specifically what is wrong. clearing it does nothing until the problem is gone. after goin through a drive cycle all codes will turn the light back on bc they are still present. personally i believe one you either just got all the work you have done recently and just went far enough for it to go through a cycle. or two you damaged an 02 sensor. to my understanding you will have a check engine light for 02s bc of the issue of losing the cats if you go with resonators. and its usually the rear 02s that have issues. dnt waste time playing the guessing game and get it scanned with a scanner that diagnoses specifically the issue.. not just a code reader and try to figure it out yourself. should the 02s be the issue get some 02 simulators. after the work is complete.. clear the codes and got through a drive cycle.. hope that helps.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:55 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

ya pull the wires out of the sensor or connector maybe? usually the heated o2 codes are from 1. Bad heater in sensor or 2. wire pulled loose
Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 AM
bent
Burning Brakes

had a shop drop the exhaust today.....the O2 sensor that was throwing the codes was bad. Apparantly when the exhaust drug, the pipe was shoved up towards the floorboard to the point where the top of the sensor came into contact with the side of the driveshaft tunnel. When removed, you could see a slight bend in the body of the O2 sensor. R & R and we are good to go!

Oh BTW, a couple of weeks ago I got a new PB at Baytown---11.96 @ 119.... first time in the 11's~maybe I should start a thread about that...

and speedDemonBB.......dude. plz remove that rediculous picture from your avatar.....corvette owners have a bad enough reputation already. serious.

Last edited by bent; 01-12-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To strange codes after dragging bottom of car

Quick Reply: strange codes after dragging bottom of car